Setting a case up.

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

User avatar
deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator
Posts: 7443
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Australia
Location: Melbourne Australia

Setting a case up.

Post by deerhunter338mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:25 am

Good mate of mine and myself built this hot wire table a few years ago when we got hold of a few pelican case cheap. I thought it was time to try it out. I made some templates 1st to cut around then a quick set up and I gave it a go. The secret is to be patient and slow and not to have the wire too hot. Took about 20minutes and was done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Measure it, when it’s on the deck

User avatar
mchughcb
Moderator
Posts: 9033
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:55 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by mchughcb » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 am

Very neat job. Well done.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by 9.3x64 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:59 am

Brilliant, great job.
You gotta be happy with that .
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

User avatar
TheoR8
Meister der jagd
Posts: 2124
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:53 am
Location: Melbourne AUSTRALIA

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by TheoR8 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:20 am

Great job mate. :handgestures-thumbup:

User avatar
deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator
Posts: 7443
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Australia
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by deerhunter338mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:20 am

Quick video as well.

https://youtu.be/gb1b2Qayo3Q
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

User avatar
SPEEDY
Moderator
Posts: 8247
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 am
Location: Southern highland- Australia
Location: Albury, NSW, Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by SPEEDY » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:23 am

Nice and neat, do the scopes get their own case?
I thought about putting my own scopes in a seperate case for travel.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

User avatar
deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator
Posts: 7443
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Australia
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by deerhunter338mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 am

SPEEDY wrote:Nice and neat, do the scopes get their own case?
I thought about putting my own scopes in a seperate case for travel.
I’m setting this up for my NZ trip next year and the scopes, binos, cameras all that type of gear will be all on board luggage.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

7x57
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Australia
Location: Tasmania

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by 7x57 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Nice job and very neat. You are correct slow and steady. Built mine last year for the r8 . Very satisfying when the job is completed and a solid and safe storage unit.

User avatar
deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator
Posts: 7443
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Australia
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by deerhunter338mag » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:04 pm

7x57 wrote:Nice job and very neat. You are correct slow and steady. Built mine last year for the r8 . Very satisfying when the job is completed and a solid and safe storage unit.
The one thing I worked out was that once you cut your template out, really give it a good sand and remove all them little nicks and burrs. The tight corners try and round them off a bit as well. If not the hot wire hook up on them and pop off. :oops:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:32 am
Location: Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by Joe338ST » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Good job! You'll be able to do mine as well, (Thanks for the offer Brenton) once i sort my rifle/scope combination out.

You can go to Clark rubber and get more foam and make different ones for different rifle/ scope combos....

Joe
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

User avatar
deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator
Posts: 7443
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Australia
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by deerhunter338mag » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:00 pm

Joe338ST wrote:Good job! You'll be able to do mine as well, (Thanks for the offer Brenton) once i sort my rifle/scope combination out.

You can go to Clark rubber and get more foam and make different ones for different rifle/ scope combos....

Joe
No problems, just cook them nice spuds in the Turkish oven and I’m there :dance: :lol:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

scott9362
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:26 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by scott9362 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:10 am

The barrel with the blued Terminator looks familiar.

User avatar
deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator
Posts: 7443
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Australia
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by deerhunter338mag » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:40 am

scott9362 wrote:The barrel with the blued Terminator looks familiar.
It’s a bloody good barrel. I’ve only shot out to 560m with it and was awesome. New owner loves it and loves the brake. I got old mate to make a cap and blue it for him as well. Come up really nice, just need to nail the speed down properly for him and he will be good to go.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

secondtry
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1243
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: Victoria Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by secondtry » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:24 pm

deerhunter338mag wrote:
SPEEDY wrote:Nice and neat, do the scopes get their own case?
I thought about putting my own scopes in a seperate case for travel.
I’m setting this up for my NZ trip next year and the scopes, binos, cameras all that type of gear will be all on board luggage.
By "on board" do mean in cabin, IE carry on ?

If so, don't try and take a scope in carry on. The relevant rules say you should be able to, but the deep thinkers on security will more often than not say you can't, and guess who wins :evil:

Save yourself the possible aggro and put scopes in checked baggage.

User avatar
deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator
Posts: 7443
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Australia
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Setting a case up.

Post by deerhunter338mag » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

secondtry wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote:
SPEEDY wrote:Nice and neat, do the scopes get their own case?
I thought about putting my own scopes in a seperate case for travel.
I’m setting this up for my NZ trip next year and the scopes, binos, cameras all that type of gear will be all on board luggage.
By "on board" do mean in cabin, IE carry on ?

If so, don't try and take a scope in carry on. The relevant rules say you should be able to, but the deep thinkers on security will more often than not say you can't, and guess who wins :evil:

Save yourself the possible aggro and put scopes in checked baggage.
Guy I’m going with goes all the time, has been over a few times this year and had no issues. He reckons Air New Zealand have been the best airlines he has ever used.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Post Reply

Return to “Open discussion”