Flying With A Firearm

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

MM
Meister der jagd

Flying With A Firearm

Post by MM »

I am flying from Ohio to Texas in early February for a meeting and am adding on a Javelina/predator calling hunt. I am going to take my 308/12ga BBF with me. My plan is to put it in my new Beretta Terain take down case and put that in my Axelson hard case which will then go in my rolling duffel bag. My question is about locks for the duffel and gun case, should I use normal locks or TSA locks? I looked on the TSA website and it does not specify. After the hunt I am going on to my meeting in Dallas and will have my rifle with me,has anyone had any trouble with hotels? Thanks for sharing any experiences and advice.

stokesrj

Re: Flying With A Firearm

Post by stokesrj »

I take my guns into Hotels all the time without any issues. I don’t tell them what is in my case and if they try to have a porter take my bags I simply decline and say that I prefer to carry my own bags, never had any ask why. I also use both TSA and non TSA locks. The issue is that you don’t want to leave your bags until the security screen is complete. Once you declare your firearm they will hand you a declaration form to sight which states the firearm is unloaded. You then place this declaration in the firearm case and lock it.
At this point they should call a porter over who will carry your bag to the security screening area, wait there until they give you the thumbs usp that all is ok, then you can go to your gate as normal. About 10% of the time they will see something on the XRay and ask me to unlock the case so they can physically inspect it. This is where if you didn’thave TSA locks and had left before they gave you the all clear sign they would then cut the locks and page you to return to the security area. If you don’t have extra locks and can’t get any quickly you will miss your flight. This has never happened to me after hundreds of flights with my guns, but I’ve seen it happen to others.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

After the Vegas shooting I didn't know if hotel protocols have changed. My last trip I drove and stayed in smaller towns and smaller hotels with no problems,but this time a large hotel in a large city. I think I will follow your advice on the TSA locks,because when I flew to Africa I almost missed my flight because they pulled me out of line to reinspect my rifles and ammo and I was using regular padlocks. I was questioning it because someone informed me that you are not allowed to use a TSA lock on a gun case, no information to back the statement up but they were so adamant about it I thought I would double check.

analog_art

Post by analog_art »

"Do not use TSA approved locks for your gun case...TSA approved locks compromise the security of your firearm. Remember, the law states that you ALONE maintain possession of the keys to your gun case."
From this page: http://www.tsatraveltips.us/guns-cases-and-air-travel/

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

OK now I am confused. Is that an official TSA site? I think I will travel with both kind of locks just in case.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Whenever I have flown with firearms, after I declare and check in the firearm with the airline I follow or take it to TSA and open the case for TSA to check and I stay and watch to see that they have locked the case and that everything is alright. If at anytime after TSA wants to look inside your case they will page or call you, be sure to have an identification tag attached with your cell number on it, to come and open your case for them. If for any reason you do not respond your firearm will remain with them and not move any farther. I had to do this once while returning from overseas clearing customs and catching a connecting flight through Houston.

Something else to be aware of is many airlines will not allow ammunition to be stored in the same case as the firearm. So you should have your ammunition locked separately in another hard shell case in you other baggage.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I’ve seen TSA cut locks off of a friends gun case causing him to miss his flight. He had ID with cell phone and they called him after they cut the locks. He had to go buy more locks before they would let him recheck in.
I’ve also had no problems with TSA locks on my gun cases. I’ve even had TSA say that they appreciated the fact that I used TSA locks just in case they had to get in after the inspection. They have also changed the rules so that you are no longer allowed to carry your gun case after declaration. They now require a baggage handler to come get it from the check in agent and carry it to TSA for X-ray inspection.
My Blaser Trolly has TSA locks on it but my Blaser case has a combination lock, i’ve Had them call me and ask for the combination so they could measure the length of a knife I had in the case. I gave it to them, and they put everything back in it’s place nicely. The alternative was to get off the plane and return to security where I’m sure I would have missed the flight and would have therefore been forced to stay at a hotel and fly the following day.
I don’t think they always follow their own rules, and it is best to be a bit flexible. Bringing both kinds of locks probably is a good idea.
Robert J Stokes

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Mine too had a TSA lock on it in Houston when they called me back two terminals away from my gate. I made my flight only because of a delay caused by weather. I have noticed that every airport is slightly different in their ways. My last trip back from Africa was with Swiss Air. My gun case didn't arrive in LAX with my flight from Johannesburg- Zurich. Luckily Swiss Air received it the next day and was able to clear my rifles through customs and deliver them to my house two hours north of LA.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

So if you had to fly with your rifle tomorrow, TSA lock or not?

JJones

Post by JJones »

For me, “Not”...

Over the last few years, I always travel with non-TSA locks on my gun case, and place ammunition separately in another lockable box with TSA locks (which is then packed into my checked baggage). I also bring a spare set of non-TSA locks/keys in my carry-on. I fortunately haven’t had the issues mentioned above, but I try to be prepared as necessary... this approach has worked for me as a standard for domestic trips as well as a few recent various destinations to Africa and Europe. My current interpretation is that the firearm case should only be accessible by you, the owner.

Always check the TSA website as well as your specific airline website regarding both firearm and ammunition requirements. With international travel specifically, I print these requirements out and bring with me; it’s not a bad idea to do this on domestic trips as well. There are important nuances with airlines and destinations, rules can change overnight, and the various airline agents, TSA agents, Port Authority officers, etc can have their own individual interpretations. And as you’ve seen the regulations can be a bit vague.

My two cents - hope this helps.

analog_art

Post by analog_art »

analog_art wrote:"Do not use TSA approved locks for your gun case...TSA approved locks compromise the security of your firearm. Remember, the law states that you ALONE maintain possession of the keys to your gun case."
To respond to MM, no, it's not from an official TSA web page but it's a reasonable interpretation of the TSA.gov web page that says: "Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations." We can quibble over the regulation's wording - it says "should" rather than "shall" or "will" - but the intent seems clear to me.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting ... ammunition

"Only the passenger" would seem to contradict the use of a TSA lock - those locks are engineered to allow for multiple keys and for other people to have them. Also TSA locks don't satisfy my expectations for either durability or security. This is instructive: https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/27/secur ... ster-keys/
Note the quote towards the end of the article: "The TSA, for their part, doesn’t care, telling The Intercept that 'The reported ability to create keys for TSA-approved suitcase locks from a digital image does not create a threat to aviation security. These consumer products are ‘peace of mind’ devices, not part of TSA’s aviation security regime.'"

I agree that the interpretation of the TSA rule varies by airport and individual. I prefer the more secure solution - a non-TSA padlock. If someone's going to open my case, they'll either need me (and my keys) or a lock cutter to do it.

I have considered putting a 2nd set of open padlocks in the case with the keys in my pocket. Padlocks are cheap, buy lots.

Devon Deer

Post by Devon Deer »

In addition, if the case has a lockable hole, stick a lock in it, i fell foul of that one when i traveled last.
Cheers
Richard

bwanajcj

Post by bwanajcj »

analog_art wrote:"Do not use TSA approved locks for your gun case...TSA approved locks compromise the security of your firearm. Remember, the law states that you ALONE maintain possession of the keys to your gun case."
analog_art is absolutely correct, i fly all the time and you do not need TSA locks on your case. If the TSA needs to open your case you are supposed to be present. Do they cut locks, yes, but it's rare these days. Most airports scan your rifles as soon as you check them at the counter, while you wait. After its clear you are good.
James Jeffrey
Lost Horizons Outfitters

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I recently flew to and from a hunt and thought I would give an update. I flew on American Airlines out of Cincinnati with a stop in Dallas and then to Laredo. I declared the firearms and signed the form and locked the case. The check in agent then took the case in the back to the TSA with my key and I was not allowed to go back with him I had to wait. I had no choice other than not fly to hand my key over. The guns arrived in Laredo just fine but they definitely had my rifles out of the case and rearranged everything. At the range both scopes were off a couple inches. My return flight was American Airlines from Laredo to Dallas. I checked in and declared the firearms and the TSA scanner was right there and they ran it through and told me I was good to go. A border patrol officer then approached me and asked if I was a US citizen. In Dallas I was paged and a baggage handler and a TSA agent then handed my rifles over to me. I went to the hotel and no problems there they never asked about the case. After my business meetings concluded back to the airport to fly from Dallas to Cincinnati on Delta airlines. The check in agent was great everything went smooth I walked up declared, signed the form locked the case and he sent it down the baggage conveyor no TSA involvement. In Cincinnati airport I was paged and met by a airport police officer who said he understood I had firearms. I informed him I did in fact and he stated that he had to zip tie my case but was unable to. He stated certain airports have different guidelines to follow and Cincinnati is one of them. He gave me my rifles and that was the end of it. My takeaway is that everything changes depending where you are,the airline involved and the personnel you are dealing with so be prepared for anything.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

MM wrote:I recently flew to and from a hunt and thought I would give an update. I flew on American Airlines out of Cincinnati with a stop in Dallas and then to Laredo. I declared the firearms and signed the form and locked the case. The check in agent then took the case in the back to the TSA with my key and I was not allowed to go back with him I had to wait. I had no choice other than not fly to hand my key over. The guns arrived in Laredo just fine but they definitely had my rifles out of the case and rearranged everything. At the range both scopes were off a couple inches. My return flight was American Airlines from Laredo to Dallas. I checked in and declared the firearms and the TSA scanner was right there and they ran it through and told me I was good to go. A border patrol officer then approached me and asked if I was a US citizen. In Dallas I was paged and a baggage handler and a TSA agent then handed my rifles over to me. I went to the hotel and no problems there they never asked about the case. After my business meetings concluded back to the airport to fly from Dallas to Cincinnati on Delta airlines. The check in agent was great everything went smooth I walked up declared, signed the form locked the case and he sent it down the baggage conveyor no TSA involvement. In Cincinnati airport I was paged and met by a airport police officer who said he understood I had firearms. I informed him I did in fact and he stated that he had to zip tie my case but was unable to. He stated certain airports have different guidelines to follow and Cincinnati is one of them. He gave me my rifles and that was the end of it. My takeaway is that everything changes depending where you are,the airline involved and the personnel you are dealing with so be prepared for anything.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Do you think they deliberately moved your crosshairs, mishandled your scopes or somthing else. You almost need to have zero stop scopes or mark their position.

Joe
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

Return to “Open discussion”