Wild deer expo 2018

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

SPEEDY

Re: Wild deer expo 2018

Post by SPEEDY »

Yep, I can swing by on the way back and pick up my cameras from the patch.
Not sure about parking there all day with a rifle behind the seat, but I doubt that would be unusual for the event and the area.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Actually maybe not the rifle or yhe camera's, their might be a few to many people kicking around the forrest that weekend.
I usually only go there during the week to avoid other people, so I might get the cameras on Thursday instead.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

I would say it’s pretty well farked if there having it up there. No people from Geelong area would go. The SE suburbs you would count them out. The inner Parts of Melbourne as well. You would have to camp it as accommodations would be out of the question. It’s not really that great of a show anymore. Are well I’m going back to Gun city to look at all the toys :lol: :lol:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm going sunday, I think the idea was so people could make a weekends hunt out of it but that doesn't matter to me much.
Time to start putting out cameras and start scouting for the Fallow croak anyway.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

deerhunter338mag wrote:I would say it’s pretty well farked if there having it up there. No people from Geelong area would go. The SE suburbs you would count them out. The inner Parts of Melbourne as well. You would have to camp it as accommodations would be out of the question. It’s not really that great of a show anymore. Are well I’m going back to Gun city to look at all the toys :lol: :lol:
How right you are. Biggest concentration of deer hunters is melbourne. Too early for serious stalking. Five plus hours driving. Nope im not going.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Don't know about too early theres still plenty of deer about, even if its not perfect.
But then again they might not have been able to find anywhere to host it down south.
What with it being the center of the inner city latte sipping wankers after all, it probably got vetoed by all those Greens controlled council areas.
And its too far for protesters to travel.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

SPEEDY wrote:I'm going sunday, I think the idea was so people could make a weekends hunt out of it but that doesn't matter to me much.
Time to start putting out cameras and start scouting for the Fallow croak anyway.
They would make you think that, but it’s all about the cost of running it. Each year it gets less and less attendance. Don’t get me wrong I love it but where is it next year Robinvale footy oval .

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Why would they have it closer to adalaide then Melbourne and on the opposite side of the state then nearly all of the deer?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Theres sambar, reds and fallow west of Bendigo. You just got to know the right people. I was hoping Theo or Tasso was going but alas they are not. I got work then a little job for blaserbud Blasermania to sort out so im definately not going.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

100% reason it was at Bendigo was cost. He would really love to have it at the Melbourne show grounds but just too expensive. And the reality is most people just look because theres no such thing as a show special any more. Each year less and less trades go and more and more the wonder mobs and one shifter that does all stands are popping up. I also think the shot show was down the other year as well. It’s sad, but that’s Australia and it’s all business.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

SPEEDY wrote:Don't know about too early theres still plenty of deer about, even if its not perfect.
And at this time of year, they are rolling fat, although I do not enjoy the heat.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Actually yes, everyone I have seen has been rolling fat and shiny.
Even the Fallow are rolling fatcand a bit sluggish, saw about 20-30 from the car while driving around, most with half grown fawns and none that were very skittish.

Still my old spot is supprisingly spare, so I'm looking for a new honey hole.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I forgot to mention, I didn't wind up going either.
After taking my mate out to put out the cameras for the rut, we finnished off a bottle of vodka opened another, and when it was finished I broke out the moonshine.

Next thing I knew it was almost 6am and we were still drinking, so I wasn't driving anywhere on sunday. :doh:

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

That's a darn good reason for not going....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Forgot an RBT, I doubt that I would have made it out of the driveway. :violin:

Still, its definitely not worth the risk, I plan on dying a very old man at the tender mercy of a much much younger women. :dance:

Return to “Open discussion”