Speedy family friendly tips for a Bangkok holiday.

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

SPEEDY

Speedy family friendly tips for a Bangkok holiday.

Post by SPEEDY »

I know I know, I've always been more of drunken bender down cowboy ally kind of guy, but we have to try new things and that can be a surprise.
1st off, if your kicking around a budget $30 a night hotel just to take hookers too then your opinion of the Thai people is one of greed and a generally less then savory people that you just don't give a damn about.

But if you stay at a tourist resort then they are friendly but always have their hand out and the holiday is good but not a bargain.

I did it different, I stayed at a Thai local hotel, it wasn't as picturesque but it was cheap at $54 a night, very clean with friendly staff that go a little extra for you as tourists are a novelty. Get to know the concierge, they can really set you up with some deals and know the best places to go and when.
Next and this is the most important don't go anyway in a Took Took, the drivers will rip you off, are bloody dangerous and the stupid things are uncomfortable as all hell. Only go by taxi, it's safer or as safe as driving around drunken mad house full of Ute loads of people and bikes with no actual road rules with a guy that's more often then not talking on a cell phone.
But here's the trick if you find a driver who speaks any English and has a nice car then get his number.
I hired a cab to chauffeur me around all day to the tourist attractions and wait for 3000 BAHT or $123aud and he took me to bungsamran fishing complex at 07:30 and waited till 19:00 to drive me home for 2000baht or $82aud, you can't get a tour for prices like that and there's no rush or scedual.
FYI if you like fishing go there, for $300 including my driver I fished all day and caught and lost heaps of fish, well mostly lost in hindsight I'd definitely recommend a guide as the method of baiting and positioning is very different.
Regular taxies are air conditioned and half the price of a took took, but download an English to Thai app for your phone.
The markets are amazing cheap gadgets like my $20 go pro are questionable at best buy I bought 128gb sd cards, Kingston brand for $8 and I bought one for $100 back home.
Don't eat at the fancy restaurants the are over priced and the best meals I had were at mom and pop local shops, it's amazing value, $50 for a dinner for two at a top shelf restaurant that was ok at best VS $12 for a dinner for two including drinks at a mom and pop shop where the food was amazing.
Oh and one for the bucket list, but a Tasar at the night markets for $20 and pay a local $20 to let you zap him for 5 sec to 'see if it works a little exploitive I know and not so family friendly, but crap loads of fun.
Definitely feed the elephants at the breeding park, I had my whole hand get stuffed in a baby elephants mouth, lucky they don't have teeth, and definitely do a full elephant ride at the temple, it's awesome.
Stay and watch the elephant show, WH&S is a little lacking but it is incredible and so close you actually touch them. The thing is people say it's exploitive etc but these elephants love to perform, they can't wait to start and you can feel their excitement when your 2ft away from them.
It's a great place and the people are modest and respectful so if you your not getting around in a tank top and shorts with your tongue down a younger girls throat you get treated so well by friendly helpful people.

It's well worth a week, I would arrive in a Friday, do the weekend markets, do the tourist things during the week, do the other weekend markets and in the middle do the local markets, the best buys and less crowds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Re: Speedy family friendly tips for a Bangkok holiday.

Post by SPEEDY »

15241486722455.jpg
15241489420267.jpg
15241406864780.jpg
15241295976060.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It's definitely better then you think it is, and so are the people.

Before I forget, very very important point, ALWAYS take a packet of tissues with you everywhere, many Thai toilets don't have any paper, most have a hose but many don't even have that.
If for instance you eat something that disagreed with you and need the cab to make an emergency pit stop at a fuel station and there's no toilet paper or hose, just a ladle for flushing with.
If you carry tissues you won't be going through your wallet looking for old receipts and a 20 BAHT note. :shifty:

But if you do and you get stressed out, Thai pharmacy's sell valium over the counter, and other fun stuff if your that way inclined.
But if you find yourself looking for aspirin have a chuckle at the other stuff they stock with no prescription.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Nice Cobia looking fish, what is it?
Robert J Stokes

Saugmann
Pro Staff

Post by Saugmann »

Thanks for sharing Speedy

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Looks like your having a good time. Enjoy

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

A must to see is some Thai fighting well worth alook see. Enjoy your trip Speedy.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Have a great holiday mate.
Stay safe and dont play roulette...
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

stokesrj wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 am Nice Cobia looking fish, what is it?
Mekong giant catfish and Siamese carp, I caught one red tail catfish and a Piraiba as well.

I highly recommend this place.

Oh another thing (I will write them down as I remember them) you can't get a good cup of coffee anywhere, it's nice a strong but a large takeaway cup is always only 2/3 full and a number of places use coconut cream for milk.
Never ever order a long island ice tea, no matter how cheap as it will be strong but look like brown paint topped with lemonade and taste about as good as that mix would.
Actually don't drink or eat anything western as the people that make it have never tasted western food.
I had a T bone with gravy poured on top that was at best an approximation of a pepper sauce but with lots of Thai herbs thrown in, the result was confusing, for instance pepper gravy shouldn't have chilli, coriander and ginger in it with a twist of I kid you not lime juice.

McDonald's is your safest bet for western food, although if you thought Ronald looked seedy on that bench with his arm up, bowing Ronald with a look on his face like Michael Jackson at a Wiggles concert is just terrifying.
And KFC, well I know that the colonel use those particular 11 herbs and spices.
ronald-mcdonald-with-hands-joined-to-welcome-customers-in-thailand-F31T3R.jpg

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

I opened this somewhat diffidently, but I should know by now to expect the unexpected :D

Thanks for the info and the observations.

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

Looks like a fun trip!
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Just arrived to spend 4 days in a bungalow overlooking the beach on a private island, warm ocean, beautiful pool, restaurant and room service in an airconditiond paradise.
This trip keeps getting better.
15243022861882.jpg
15243035121431.jpg
15243022651711.jpg

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

That looks pretty shabby! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The beach ain't half bad, bugger Bankok these islands around Krabi are the best.
No shopping other then trinkets, but my mini bar on a remote island has the same prices as a 7/11 in Bangkok.
At the local shops I got a red bull, ice tea and bottle of water for only $1.50 or so.
15243925311500.jpg
15243925564451.jpg
So unless you want to go shopping come strait here, it's a genuine paradise.

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Looks amazing Speedy, a mate moved over there with his wife last year I keep meaning to go

Return to “Open discussion”