New Overland Trailer

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Re: New Overland Trailer

Post by ebrownw2 »

I like it, I like it a lot. However as I am getting old and soft I think I’ll stick with my Keystone Raptor 355 for now. I like my king sized bed, hot showers, air conditioning, and microwave.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I like all those thing too! But after decades of hunting the area I hunt, I've found those 35' trailers are a throw away after two years, they just can't take it. Many have pointed out to me that there are nice hotels only 35 miles away which is true but that is a two hour bone jarring 35 miles.
Robert J Stokes

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

That’s a great little set up. Joe and I have a mate that has a set up similar to that except the roof top tent ( unless he has added it )and he has absolutely everything in there shower,cooking , etc . Everything has its own place

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Beats a swag one the ground that's for sure.

I have thought about s teardrop caravan for a similar use, light and you can easily give it all the ground clearance that you want, good suspension too.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

analog_art

Post by analog_art »

Is it harder to keep warm in a tent that's up off the ground?

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Probably so, but in most of Arizona staying warm isn't that hard to do. Either way, it's a trade I would make to not have to think about rattlesnakes getting in my tent.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

That looks like a nice compact and sturdy setup Bob. I especially like the idea of the trailer wheels matching the wheels of the vehicle.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

SPEEDY wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 pm Beats a swag one the ground that's for sure.

I have thought about s teardrop caravan for a similar use, light and you can easily give it all the ground clearance that you want, good suspension too.
Here is a Tear Drop that's could prove interesting.
https://youtu.be/Ref_JnT8QVY
https://youtu.be/yW-ikFvkPnQ
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

That is pretty a pretty nice kit, it would be fun to build it but I would worry about tearing it up on the roads and trails I travel to my hunting areas. Maybe it would be more durable than it looks but even conventional tent trailers are reduced to broken and bent pieces after just a year or two.
Robert J Stokes

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

It's designed and built separate from the trailer so a person could mount it to any undercarriage of his liking. I would think the unit it self would be plenty strong as long as you don't crash it into any boulders. They designed the small aluminum trailer for it so it could be towed behind a small car like Corjack's Subaru.
Hey that way Olsen could have a mobile home to use when he comes to visit. :dance: :lol: :lol: Sorry couldn't resist :whistle:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

You could probably also fit that on a ute tray for touring.

Its a great little thing that one.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

dchamp wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:29 am
SPEEDY wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 pm Beats a swag one the ground that's for sure.

Here in the land of 100% mark up on the rest of the world, I did look at a teardrop trailer before I bought the camper trailer.......for the off road version some were asking a rather pretty penny. Like I could buy an R8, 3 barrels, scope them with kahles optics and stil would have had change.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Oscar wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:10 pm
dchamp wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:29 am

Here in the land of 100% mark up on the rest of the world, I did look at a teardrop trailer before I bought the camper trailer.......for the off road version some were asking a rather pretty penny. Like I could buy an R8, 3 barrels, scope them with kahles optics and stil would have had change.
Land of the 100% markup? You've never lived here....... :-(
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Ado

Post by Ado »

Well if anyone is thinking about ordering something similar, study hard the features and spec that has gone into these trailer-campers...mind you at the price point you would expect that to be the case:

Partriot X1 Camper Trailer

Have to say I really enjoyed watching their info-mmercial videos....

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

We have some very similar rigs here in the US and prices are similar also. They are nice in that they are well laid out and everything has a place, I like that. But I decided to go a completely different direction with the Overland Expedition Outfitters T3.
The T3 is an all aluminum trailer with all seams welded. As a result it weighs only 500 pounds with the tent, awning and solar system. That is an important criteria for getting into some of the places I hunt in Arizona. Even without a trailer I some times require the aid of a high lift jack and my winch, so the lifter the trailer the better. Also a lot of gear loading the trailer down is also a deterrent to gaining access and causes much damage to the gear and the structure of the trailer itself.
One place in particular that I hunt I normally establish a base camp below this big Mesa, I can get my tent trailer in there. Or even a big fifth wheel trailer. But the problem is getting to the core hunt area at prime time. It is a three hour climb up and then back down. That means leaving camp at 3am and and returning to camp at 9pm.
That is ok for day one, day two, or even day three. But some time after that I begin to wish I had drug my tent trailer up there and suffered the damage that surely would be encurrred. With this little trailer I can take it to the top of the Mesa and be within one hour hike to the prime hunting location.
This is just one example of how it will be used but it may help some scratching their heads understand my choices.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Open discussion”