Ordered myself a new mini boat.

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

SPEEDY

Ordered myself a new mini boat.

Post by SPEEDY »

I found these and just had to have one, I was looking at a sit in Kayak/small canoe but thus thing does it all. Easy to load at under 35kg, at only 10ft long it's easy to load in the tray of even a dual cab with the tail gait down or to load on the roof.
Being easy to swap out rod holders for gun racks and gopro mounts it's also perfect for duck hunting as well.
(I went for the khaki not the blue one)
Catch-PWR-100-4.png
https://youtu.be/Y2NywKtqQdI

I'm still deciding if I should use a 21lb electric motor I have and buy a 3.5hp petrol one, or just get a big electric trollong motor and a big lithium battery to run it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: Ordered myself a new mini boat.

Post by Rod »

You’re gunna need a good life jacket 😂

Good luck with it 👍.

Cheers
Rod

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Cute... I take it that you're a good swimmer? Good luck with it.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

thechamp wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:11 am Cute... I take it that you're a good swimmer? Good luck with it.
Haters gotta hate...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Vaughan wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:14 am
thechamp wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:11 am Cute... I take it that you're a good swimmer? Good luck with it.
How did you read hate into that? You related it was a "Kayat" style boat and from what I've seen they spend more time upside down than right side up.... Obviously a lot of people enjoy them and that's all well and good. I don't swim so they are out of my arena.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

They are incredibly stable for a tiny boat/kayak, the advantage is that you can paddle like any other kayak or pole like a skiff in shallow water and marsh.

This is great stability test, it's not for rough water or stupid stuff, but for creeks and rivers and lake I will be duck hunting on is fairly shallow and glass flat.

https://youtu.be/rUox_2MVlzI

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Looks to have a lot more beam than even a two person kayak.

If one views it as a super stable and seaworthy kayak, all would be good I think. If one viewed it as a full on boat, tears could follow.

I like it :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: .

I'd go for the smallest (read lightest) jap petrol O/B that would work with it. Ditto if you want a separate electric - small and light is the way to go.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

thechamp wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:38 am
Vaughan wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:14 am
How did you read hate into that? You related it was a "Kayat" style boat and from what I've seen they spend more time upside down than right side up.... Obviously a lot of people enjoy them and that's all well and good. I don't swim so they are out of my arena.
Sorry, mate, I was not being at all serious. Telling the man he had to be able swim suggested he was going to end up in the water. A lot... that indicated you felt it was going to be pretty tippy, as you just confirmed...... I figured you were, quite reasonably, taking the piss just a little. I didn't think you were seriously being negative, any more than I was. Apologies for the confusion.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Actually thinking about an electric jet motor for it, run that on a say 75AH Lithium battery and it would be light and pretty quick.
But a 3.5hp air-cooled 4 stroke would be great too, it would be great for going against the current in the murry when the water is down a bit.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I'll be interested to hear how it feels in a bit of chop and breeze. Not how you plan to use it, I know. I've been thinking of something similar for flyfishing small lakes but the ones I've looked at, which are supposed ot be OK, look too unstable for anything but kneeling, so I have stuck with float tubes...
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That's pretty much what this is for, and for rivers without rapids.
I was thinking about drifting with the fly rod up and down this stretch of creek that I've been seeing a lot of trout rising every afternoon this week.
Well out of range from where I have any hope of casting too from, but drifting with the fly rod down stream, then paddle back up and do it again.
Just for a little exercise.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

SPEEDY wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:58 am Actually thinking about an electric jet motor for it, run that on a say 75AH Lithium battery and it would be light and pretty quick.
But a 3.5hp air-cooled 4 stroke would be great too, it would be great for going against the current in the murry when the water is down a bit.
Current is a definite consideration in rivers. I have sat in reasonably fast flowing big rivers with my little 3/4 horse angle drive weedless Johnno going flat stick while I watched the bank to try and work out whether I was going forward or backwards. :lol:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That's what I want to avoid, and to get to the best spot to fish you have to cross the strongest current in the whole river because it's right at the base of the dam wall.

There's an island you can fish from that takes you right past the point of no boating allowed and less you cast right to the base of the wall itself.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Just picked up the new engine I'm putting on it, a 2.5hp Yamaha 4 stroke, it is damn light and definitely looks the goods, last motor in the whole border region too under 6hp.
16051610859810.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Well she's finally here, I just put her together and set up the motor.
I think it will do the job just fine. 👍
Catch 100 arrival.jpg

Return to “Open discussion”