Interesting Encounter

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Interesting Encounter

Post by dchamp »

I had an interesting encounter with a crow today. I was cleaning a rifle in the garage with the door open and heard a crow cawing. All of a sudden he flew down and landed on my wife's car in the driveway. I looked over at him and started talking to him. He then flew into the garage and landed on the bench where I was cleaning my rifle. He stood and watched. I asked if he was hungry and walked away to get him something to eat. I found some dry cat food and poured some out for him just outside the garage. He swooped down and started eating and looking up at me. I decided to get him a piece of leftover steak out of the refrigerator in the house. I stood by a small ladder I have in the garage and he flew up and perched himself on top. I offered him the steak and he took a piece out of my hand. I set another piece on the small platform underneath where he was perched and he hopped down and retrieved it. My wife and daughter then steeped out into the garage to see and he flew off. A couple of minutes later I went to check the mail down the street. I saw the crow at a neighbors, two doors down, standing in the gutter getting a sip of water. On my return I walked over to him and stood next to him for a minute said hi and then walked home. That is my first encounter with a crow and second with a wild animal, the second being a wolf in British Columbia. Encounters like these I find special.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Interesting Encounter

Post by 9.3x64 »

That’s very interesting. Crows are very intelligent birds. I remember my grandfather used to pick up a stick and point it at them in his corn patch, they would just continue eating his corn.
But when he picked up his old drilling they would fly away. They could tell the difference between a stick and a gun, or maybe the way he held it or stood...
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

It has been know with those type of encounters that the crow will never forget you and may bring you a gift, ie something shinny , bottle cap etc

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Crows and Ravens are bad, watch your step.

I visited a church in Merseburg Germany where they keep a raven in a cage to this day to remember this event that happened in 1426.

"It is said that the bishop ordered to execute his servant who was suspected of having stolen a precious ring from his master. A long time went by and the ring was found in a raven nest on the palace’s roof while it was being under repair. Bishop Thilo of Trotha felt remorse and changed the family crest, showing since then a black raven with a golden ring in its beak. To remind us to never make hasty decisions in a bad mood, Thilo captured a raven. Until today, a raven cage in the castle forecourt, housing a pairs of raven, commemorates the well-known Legend of the Raven."

The above account is rather white washed, the crest actually has a golden serving platter with the servants severed head on it. He was ordered to be executed by the Bishop who owned the ring that was stolen by the Raven. I noticed the severed head during a meeting I was having with the local government and asked about it but none new why until I asked the Bishop in charge of the cathedral and he relayed the story.

https://www.hanse.org/en/hanseatic-cities/merseburg/
Robert J Stokes

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

9.3x64 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:04 pm That’s very interesting. Crows are very intelligent birds. I remember my grandfather used to pick up a stick and point it at them in his corn patch, they would just continue eating his corn.
But when he picked up his old drilling they would fly away. They could tell the difference between a stick and a gun, or maybe the way he held it or stood...
You can point a stick at them and they don't move. Try and point the gun and there gone. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Thanks for sharing. I put food scraps in the front yard for the crows. If something is too dry, the crows dip it in the birdbath until it’s moist enough for their liking.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I send them bright shiny objects at 3000 FPS

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

MM wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:03 am I send them bright shiny objects at 3000 FPS
And they deserve every one of them. Damn egg thieves :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I had a similar encounter. I said hello and then fed it. Next thing you know I was married and it took forever to get rid of her.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Corjack wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:21 pm I had a similar encounter. I said hello and then fed it. Next thing you know I was married and it took forever to get rid of her.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbup:

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Corjack wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:21 pm I had a similar encounter. I said hello and then fed it. Next thing you know I was married and it took forever to get rid of her.
And what I've heard from others is that as a parting gesture they take more than 1/2 your belongings with them as they leave!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Joe338ST wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:16 pm
And what I've heard from others is that as a parting gesture they take more than 1/2 your belongings with them as they leave!
Depends on whether or not they have chicks. If they have chicks, they will take much more than half, with no adjustment for shininess, and yet you will still be expected to feed the chicks.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Joe338ST wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:16 pm
You better be carful Joe as all you will have left is your white Y front jocks. :lol: :lol: :handgestures-thumbup:

Return to “Open discussion”