8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

This is a place to post your loads and load development information. Please fill out as many fields as completely as you can.

Moderator: deerhunter338mag

Forum rules
We are working on something nicer, but for now try posting your loads on this forum. Fill out information as completely as possible.
Post Reply
9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 3062
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by 9.3x64 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:50 pm

(Cartridge) 8x68

(Brand of bullet) Nosler Accubond

(Weight of bullet) 200 grain

(Brand of brass) RWS

(Type of powder) ADI 2209

(Grains of powder) 70

(Brand, and type of primer) RWS 5333 Magnum

(COAL) 87mm

(CBTO)

(FPS/MPS) 2960 FPS

(Rifle) Blaser R8

(Barrel Length) 65 cm

(Scope) ZEISS 2.5-10x50

(Weather conditions & temp) 30C

(Accuracy @ 100 yards/meters) 1.25”

(Notes)
69 grains 2908 FPS
70 grains 2960 FPS
71 grains 2973 FPS
72 grains 3021 FPS
Both the 69 and the 70 grain loads shot 1.25”, 71 and 72 started to open up with slight primer flattening.
The 69 grain load only had a SD of 7.3 and Es of 17 FPS for 6 shots which was the lowest. Might try 69.5 grains next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 9.3x64 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.


Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

User avatar
TheoR8
Meister der jagd
Posts: 3192
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:53 am
Location: Melbourne AUSTRALIA

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by TheoR8 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:07 pm

Targets?? :handgestures-thumbup:

User avatar
Vaughan
Moderator
Posts: 2498
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Location: Sweden

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by Vaughan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:52 am

Looking good! I'm waiting for dies and still shooting RWS ammo in mine. Was shooting a paper roe off the bipod on the 300m mound on Wednesday. 4 shots group under 1.5". I'm amazed by how well it has settled now it has 40-odd rounds through it. Moose hunting starts tomorrow :-D
/Vaughan

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 3062
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by 9.3x64 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:01 am

Vaughan wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:52 am
Looking good! I'm waiting for dies and still shooting RWS ammo in mine. Was shooting a paper roe off the bipod on the 300m mound on Wednesday. 4 shots group under 1.5". I'm amazed by how well it has settled now it has 40-odd rounds through it. Moose hunting starts tomorrow :-D
Yes I am very impressed with this cartridge, it was pretty easy to find a good load. I am pretty sure I could shoot a better group with fresh eyes on another day.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

User avatar
TheoR8
Meister der jagd
Posts: 3192
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:53 am
Location: Melbourne AUSTRALIA

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by TheoR8 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:35 am

Great stuff, you know what the barrel can do. :handgestures-thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 3062
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by 9.3x64 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:36 am

Yes thanks Theo, extremely pleased with it. :clap:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:32 am
Location: Australia

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by Joe338ST » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:52 am

Now that is good shooting!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

User avatar
Vaughan
Moderator
Posts: 2498
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Location: Sweden

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by Vaughan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:28 am

Was back to double-check the BB97 today. I'm sure Chuck would keep tweaking to get those bbls closer (and shoot better) but good enough for me to reliably take a moose out to 150m. You can see the covered holes are from Wednesday. Not sure what I was doing... today better matched when I was regulating the bbl to be zero at 150m.

Anyway, off topic.... I also shot another group to confirm the 8x68 group I shot on the roe target on Wednesday. I didn't shoot as well today but damn this RWS HIT ammo shoots well. The first group when the bbl was near new was probably 15cm at 100m. Now it is shooting beautifully.
20190906_125928.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/Vaughan

dchamp
Meister der jagd
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:42 pm
Location: USA
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by dchamp » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 am

Looking good, I like the 8x68s more and more. FWIW;
868s200acc.JPG
I adjusted the temperature close to your 30 degree C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

dchamp
Meister der jagd
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:42 pm
Location: USA
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by dchamp » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:48 am

TheoR8 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:35 am
Great stuff, you know what the barrel can do. :handgestures-thumbup:
Do you have a chronographed velocity for that ammo?
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 3062
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by 9.3x64 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:38 pm

Vaughan wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:28 am
Was back to double-check the BB97 today. I'm sure Chuck would keep tweaking to get those bbls closer (and shoot better) but good enough for me to reliably take a moose out to 150m. You can see the covered holes are from Wednesday. Not sure what I was doing... today better matched when I was regulating the bbl to be zero at 150m.

Anyway, off topic.... I also shot another group to confirm the 8x68 group I shot on the roe target on Wednesday. I didn't shoot as well today but damn this RWS HIT ammo shoots well. The first group when the bbl was near new was probably 15cm at 100m. Now it is shooting beautifully.

20190906_125928.jpg
Gee that’s good shooting for the 8x68 Vaughan.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 3062
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by 9.3x64 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:50 pm

dchamp wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 am
Looking good, I like the 8x68s more and more. FWIW;868s200acc.JPG I adjusted the temperature close to your 30 degree C.
I have to say that I really appreciate your time to supply this information Dchamp. Thankyou.

This data seems to support what I was seeing with the primers starting to slightly flatten when I increased powder charge above 70 grains.
Allan
Last edited by 9.3x64 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

User avatar
TheoR8
Meister der jagd
Posts: 3192
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:53 am
Location: Melbourne AUSTRALIA

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by TheoR8 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:42 pm

dchamp wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:48 am
TheoR8 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:35 am
Great stuff, you know what the barrel can do. :handgestures-thumbup:
Do you have a chronographed velocity for that ammo?
No I don't Dan I'm sorry. :handgestures-thumbup:

User avatar
Vaughan
Moderator
Posts: 2498
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Location: Sweden

Re: 8x68 200 Grain Accubonds

Post by Vaughan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:31 pm

9.3x64 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:38 pm
Vaughan wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:28 am
Was back to double-check the BB97 today. I'm sure Chuck would keep tweaking to get those bbls closer (and shoot better) but good enough for me to reliably take a moose out to 150m. You can see the covered holes are from Wednesday. Not sure what I was doing... today better matched when I was regulating the bbl to be zero at 150m.

Anyway, off topic.... I also shot another group to confirm the 8x68 group I shot on the roe target on Wednesday. I didn't shoot as well today but damn this RWS HIT ammo shoots well. The first group when the bbl was near new was probably 15cm at 100m. Now it is shooting beautifully.

20190906_125928.jpg
Gee that’s good shooting for the 8x68 Vaughan.
It's wearing a pretty big suppressor so recoil feels something like a 308W and that certainly helps. Not so easy to carry around and shoot off-hand but that is not how I intend to use it. That said, I am surprised by how gentle it is to shoot, especially when switching between this and the 9,3x74R in the BB97 platform, which is not bad either. I dont imagine the RWS ammo is underpowered by much...
/Vaughan

Post Reply

Return to “BlaserBuds Load Database”