.308 w/ 168grs Sierra TMK?

Moderator: deerhunter338mag

icebug
Meister der jagd

.308 w/ 168grs Sierra TMK?

Post by icebug »

Does anyone have a good (match) load for R8 using 168 Sierra TMKs?
If so, I would appreciate if you could share.

Thanks,
d.
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

JPBlaser

Re: .308 w/ 168grs Sierra TMK?

Post by JPBlaser »

44,5 grains of Reload swiss RS50 powder ,rws lr primer
COL 71,2mm. Velocity ~780 m/s out of a standard length barrel,precision - 1/2 moa. 44 grains should also work well.
Btw this load is proven also with Hornady BTHP and Speer HPBT Match in four different rifles - my 308 standart R93,two tikka super varmint and one bergara varmint.

Best regards,
Jordan

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Kiitos JPBlaser!

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

Been experimenting with Varget, 45.2 grains for 2800 FPS, COAL of 2.91" (.010" off my lands). Good accuracy with CCI BR2 and Lapua brass. I love the plastic tips- they absorb a lot of the wear and tear on the ramps. I feel like the TMK's are the Sierra answer to the Amax and they have similar performance.

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

I got info that Varget will not be imported into Europe any more. Some chemical in it's ingredients is now prohibited.
Jordan

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Almost all of the Hodgdon powders will not imported anymore, I saw the whole list.
We in EU are now limited only to Vihtavuori, Lovex, Vectan, ReloadSwiss, Bofors, Rotweil, Norma, etc..

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

icebug wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:28 am Almost all of the Hodgdon powders will not imported anymore, I saw the whole list.
We in EU are now limited only to Vihtavuori, Lovex, Vectan, ReloadSwiss, Bofors, Rotweil, Norma, etc..
Limited ???? :lol:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

That is a real shame, about depriving Europe of ADI powders. As I'm preparing to move from FL to AZ I have been creating an inventory of my powders that I will keep and ones to be sold off. Moving companies won't knowingly transport powder or ammunition so I will be driving and pulling a trailer loaded with many hundreds of pounds of powder, ammunition, and primers and I don't want to transport the ones I will no longer be using.

As I was going through the inventory and referring to my notes of favorite loads and powders caliber by caliber, it became apparent to me, than in almost all cases the Hodgdon Extreme powders (ADI) were the best in each caliber. The only exceptions were case volume limited applications in which ball powders, Hodgdon 110, 335, Lil'Gun, and CFE223 (all of which are St Marks), provided enough added density to warrant their use and accept the poor temperature stability. All my other powders are gong to be gone, including 30 pounds or so of Vihtavouri, which has an excellent reputation but in every case Hodgdon powders have outperformed it.

And to the subject at hand, my best load for the 168 TMK is 42.2 grains of H4895, Lapua Palma case, and CCI BR4 primer. Followed by 43.0 grains of IMR8208XBR and then 47.5 grins of CFE223. All will do better than 1/2 MOA in the gun they were developed for. The CFE does produce the highest velocity, and the H4895 the best ES and SD and groups are often under .25 MOA.
Robert J Stokes

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Thanks a million Bob!
And here's the list http://www.cdsgltd.co.uk/forum/removal- ... eu-market/

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Wow, it's not only ADI but also some of the ball powders. I find it strange that they have CFE BLK but not CFE 223 on the list, as I understand it both are only Winchester 748 with tin added to reduce the copper build up, and the BLK has slightly different retardants to alter the burn rate. I'm very familiar with the CE approval system just recently achieving CE certifications myself for the medical devices my company produces. I used SIQ in Ljubljana to achieve the CE certifications, maybe I should give Hodgdon a hint on how to get the approvals :).
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

I'm glad you blokes are doing the legwork on the 168 TMKs. I seem to have acquired a couple of boxes, and now of course, I will need to apply the usual logic and build a rifle to shoot them in :lol: :lol:

BTW Bob, the green tips on the TMKS don't activate your old 30cal Ballistic Tip allergy do they :lol:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

secondtry wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:41 pm I'm glad you blokes are doing the legwork on the 168 TMKs. I seem to have acquired a couple of boxes, and now of course, I will need to apply the usual logic and build a rifle to shoot them in :lol: :lol:

BTW Bob, the green tips on the TMKS don't activate your old 30cal Ballistic Tip allergy do they :lol:
No, i’m Fond of them actually. They have the same jacket and core of the Game King plus the large hollow point behind polymer tip. I strongly suspect they will behave nicely on game, but will wait to see how they work out for others.
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

We are on the same page, Bob. :)

I was leaning toward the 168 ELDM, but I thought that the TMK, for the reasons you have described, might have a little more integrity and perhaps sit somewhere between the Ballistic Tip and the ELDM for frangibility and still have a lower expansion threshold than the BT.

I think you are likely to put this to the test before I do, given that I lack a suitable launch platform for the time being :( .

I have everything except the rifle :lol: I have the 308 K95 Stutzen but using that with 168 TMKs, or ELDMs doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

icebug wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:43 am Thanks a million Bob!
Sounds like the EU has taken the precautionary principle to its extreme when it comes to the manufacture of chemicals
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/chemica ... 9592736627
Or you could view it as an interesting trade embargo in the age of supposedly free trade...
Who needs a tariff/ trade war.
Let’s hope Hodgdon overcome it as I can’t see Thales (Australia) bothering, which will then have flow on here I fear

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:27 am
icebug wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:43 am Thanks a million Bob!
Sounds like the EU has taken the precautionary principle to its extreme when it comes to the manufacture of chemicals
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/chemica ... 9592736627
Or you could view it as an interesting trade embargo in the age of supposedly free trade...
Who needs a tariff/ trade war.
Let’s hope Hodgdon overcome it as I can’t see Thales (Australia) bothering, which will then have flow on here I fear
What's interesting is that these new blocks the EU is doing seem to be coinciding with the US's relaxing of restrictions on the ITAR issue and reloading components........

Return to “308 Winchester Database”