Travelling and transiting with firearms as a "third country" national for hunting in the EU

A place to discuss regulations, or the over regulation in most case, that our members have to deal with in their respective countries. Hopefully discussion will lead to more rules based on common sense, rather than fears by the government.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

Ado

Travelling and transiting with firearms as a "third country" national for hunting in the EU

Post by Ado »

Apologies in advance this is a very specific inquiry but I hope other "third country" nationals (that's EU-speak for non-EU citizens/residents) may be able to help. I reckon there must be a good number of Buds from US/Canada/Australia/NZ/SA etc. that have been subject to this for years. I live in the UK. Pre-Brexit, it was simple - apply to your local police force for a European Firearms Pass (EFP), declare at Customs desks and show your EFP and domestic firearms/shotgun certificates and off you go. For EU residents within the EU, the EFP still exists and works. I can easily find the requirements for a non-UK resident to come to the UK and that there is a general import/export licence in place. From what I have read, this is regulated at an EU Country level and not by the EU Commission. I have web searched extensively but cannot find specific answers.

The context - I have been invited to German for a boar hunt later this year. I will probably travel by car from the UK and will transit through France, Belgium and the Netherlands (and back again). I am trying to understand how I legally take my hunting rifle to Germany and back again. I know what the hunting licence requirements are for Germany and my local hosts will assist me with that process. I will be travelling with my UK Firearms Certificate which records make/model/caliber/serial number (if any) etc.

What I am trying to understand specifically is how I enter and cross borders with a firearm and keep it in my possession without getting arrested (and not the hunting licence part). Do I need an import/export licence or temporary/transit licence? And if I travel by car from the UK to Germany say via France (first actual and probably only manned border), Belgium and the Netherlands (and back again) do I need to apply to each country or how to determine whether there are exemptions for hunters from seeking import/export/transit licences. For example, I have already read in the Netherlands there is an exception for hunters with a "small" number of firearms but will need to speak with Customs department to understand it better and for other countries.

Any insights gratefully received...

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Re: Travelling and transiting with firearms as a "third country" national for hunting in the EU

Post by canalrifle »

Ask your German hosts if they can get for you a “Erlaubnis zur Mitnahme von Schusswaffen/Munition in die, durch die oder aus der Bundesrepublik Deutschland.” I believe it’s a weapons carrying permit that will be recognized by EU countries, but you should confirm that with your German friends. It is the permit issued to me on several occasions to bring my Blaser to Germany from the USA. You will list your name, address, date of birth, passport number, date of its’ issue, the type of rifle, the manufacturer, the caliber and dates you will be traveling with the rifle. Good Luck.

Ado

Re: Travelling and transiting with firearms as a "third country" national for hunting in the EU

Post by Ado »

canalrifle wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:23 am Ask your German hosts if they can get for you a “Erlaubnis zur Mitnahme von Schusswaffen/Munition in die, durch die oder aus der Bundesrepublik Deutschland.” I believe it’s a weapons carrying permit that will be recognized by EU countries, but you should confirm that with your German friends. It is the permit issued to me on several occasions to bring my Blaser to Germany from the USA. You will list your name, address, date of birth, passport number, date of its’ issue, the type of rifle, the manufacturer, the caliber and dates you will be traveling with the rifle. Good Luck.
Many thanks @canalrifle- will explore further.

Return to “International Firearms Freedoms”