Suppressors in Zimbabwe

A place to discuss regulations, or the over regulation in most case, that our members have to deal with in their respective countries. Hopefully discussion will lead to more rules based on common sense, rather than fears by the government.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

bwilson1956

Suppressors in Zimbabwe

Post by bwilson1956 »

I am traveling to Zimbabwe at the end of this month and taking my R8 with 375 H&H and 300 Win Mag barrels. Also, I am hoping to take my .30 caliber suppressor but am finding it difficult to determine if they are allowed in Zimbabwe. I have numerous "feelers" out including my outfitter, but no one has come back to me with an answer yet. Can anyone shed any light on this question?

Corjack
Administrator

Re: Suppressors in Zimbabwe

Post by Corjack »

Looks like a good way to check out conditions in a Zim jail.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

I'd say the answer is no - Namibia and South Africa they are permitted I believe but that may not mean they are something easy for a tourist to import and re export.

Who is your outfitter? If the outfitter / PH can't give you a straight answer what else are they hiding /in the dark about :think:

bwilson1956

Post by bwilson1956 »

I am hoping to avoid accepting the government's hospitality if at all possible. Suppressors are commonly used in South Africa and Namibia, but Zimbabwe is a mystery. I am hoping someone can help clear this up.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

I concur with GBE, contact your outfitter/PH and see what he says. Otherwise call their government organization that is over their game and ask them. I've never heard of anyone hunting abroad and taking a suppressor. Then again here they were so forbidden that most true hunters still don't have them.

bwilson1956

Post by bwilson1956 »

So I found an online copy of Zimbabwe's Code Chapter 10:09 (Firearms Act - amended 1972) Section 22 [Provisions as to converting imitation firearms into firearms] 1(c) which says "No person shall fit onto any firearm a silencing device". Later in the document it says it is illegal to possess them. Unless the law has been changed, I guess my suppressor stays at home. Bummer!

Grumulkin

Post by Grumulkin »

I think a more pressing question is would it even be legal to take a suppressor out of the U.S.A. without an export permit from the State Department?

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Grumulkin wrote:I think a more pressing question is would it even be legal to take a suppressor out of the U.S.A. without an export permit from the State Department?
OMG! that's a good point. Extradition from Zim holding facility, back to a federal detainment center.

Negatives

You are in prison

Positives

Living conditions in a federal prison will be better than the Zim jail. Thank goodness for ITAR.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Make noise in a foreign bar go to jail. Stop noise out your rifle in a foreign bar go to jail. Dude that's crazy.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Grumulkin wrote:I think a more pressing question is would it even be legal to take a suppressor out of the U.S.A. without an export permit from the State Department?

Ah, so the old saying "better to beg forgiveness then ask permission" isn't worth trying in this case? :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

SPEEDY wrote:

Ah, so the old saying "better to beg forgiveness then ask permission" isn't worth trying in this case? :lol:
I would love to see you try that theory ,and let us know the out come if your able to lolol

Return to “International Firearms Freedoms”