Californication

A place to discuss regulations, or the over regulation in most case, that our members have to deal with in their respective countries. Hopefully discussion will lead to more rules based on common sense, rather than fears by the government.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

SPEEDY

Re: Californication

Post by SPEEDY »

I hope you can, that's just madness.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Ant

Post by Ant »

I am sorry to say that Nevada moved a bit closer to Californication this year. Both of the major counties Clark (Las Vegas) and Washoe (Reno) went for the democratic candidate. This is caused by all the Californians that have moved to Nevada over the last 12 years. To make matters worse, by a slim margin of 1%, a private party background check law was passed. The new law makes most private transfers (this includes loaning your gun to the neighbor who is being stalked, or having a neighbor hold your guns while you are out of town, etc.) illegal without an FBI background check. It is absurd. For example, I just engaged in conduct that - come 1/1/17 - will be illegal. One of my long time friends (a lawyer who already had his background checked to become a lawyer, checked several more times when he purchased various shotguns and handguns), who is a bird hunter, but not a big game hunter, has a son that wants to hunt. I am not sure how they managed it,but both he and his son drew elk tags. They did not have an appropriate rifle so I loaned him my R8 a month before the hunt. This would give him time to practice and get comfortable with the gun. Both he and his son got their elks. The sad thing is that, next year, my simple act of loaning a gun to a friend and his son, so that they can experience the sport of hunting and learn more about it, would make me a felon.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Must have special dispensation in Vegas at the ranges because tourists go there every day to shoot machine guns.

jeff

Post by jeff »

mchughcb wrote:Must have special dispensation in Vegas at the ranges because tourists go there every day to shoot machine guns.

Yep, and bloody good fun it is too! My favourite from my last trip was the P90. :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards,

Jeff

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

My favorite was being taken home by the promotions girl. She was hot but a bit ditzy.

Ak

Post by Ak »

It`s fascinating for a foreigner to to read about the gun laws in the US.

As a hunter I`m only allowed to own 6 hunting weapons. You can have some extra if you are a competitive shooter as well, but you have to prove that you compete regularly. Each time I want to buy a gun, I have to ask the police for a permit to own it, that usually takes 2-3 weeks minimum. No handguns as a hunter, you have to be registered as a competitive shooter for at least 6 months to own handguns, and be 21 year old, then you are only allowed to own a few handguns. More if you are active competitive shooter. An ar would take me at least 3-4 years to get my hands on legally..

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Ak wrote:It`s fascinating for a foreigner to to read about the gun laws in the US.
Yes, that is the great thing about the US and it's founding principles. The government serves the people at the pleasure of the people. It has no authority except what is granted to it. Unfortunately, the good people of California are outnumbered by those who don't understand and would trade their liberty for the appearance of security. There is not unanimous agreement on the freedom to keep and bear arms for the same reasons.

Ironically those states and municipalities that have the most restrictive gun laws are also the cities with the most violent crime, both by firearms and by other means. The focus is always upon the evil looking rifles and carbines like the AR. however there are more people killed in the US by hands and feet than their are by rifles of all kinds, including the AR.

But the reason that our God given right to keep and bear arms is affirmed by the US constitution, which doesn't grant any rights only restricts the rights of the government, is so that the people will continue to have power over the government. This is why the argument offered by those opposed to this freedom often points to the fact that when the constitution was written there were only muzzle loading black powder arms. That argument fails under scrutiny because the government doesn't limit it's arms, and if the people are to have power over the government then we need arms able to insure this power. It's not about hunting or even personal defense, it's about limiting the power of the federal government.
Robert J Stokes

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Well said Bob!!
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Return to “International Firearms Freedoms”