South Africa Firearms Regulations Change

A place to discuss regulations, or the over regulation in most case, that our members have to deal with in their respective countries. Hopefully discussion will lead to more rules based on common sense, rather than fears by the government.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

stokesrj

South Africa Firearms Regulations Change

Post by stokesrj »

An URGENT message from the Professional Hunters' Association of South Africa:

The South African Police Services’ central firearms desk advised that they will no longer accept America’s Department of Homeland Security’s Certificate of Registration, commonly known as CBP Form 4457, if the date in the top right hand corner has expired.

The NEW CBP Form 4457, is available from Homeland Security’s official website: https://www.cbp.gov/…/docume…/2016-Aug/ ... 204457.pdf

PHASA wish to alert all hunters traveling to/through South Africa, to obtain a new Certificate of Registration listing their firearms, prior to leaving the United States of America. Other ports of entry elsewhere in the World may follow suit so make sure your 4457 is valid.

PHASA strongly advises hunting clients to pre-apply, through a reputable, registered meet-and-greet agency, for temporary import/export firearm and/or transit permits. Although there is a small fee payable to these service providers, the peace of mind and time saved at the firearm permit office at OR Tambo International Airport, is well worth the effort.

We also request members of the public to treat our South African police officers courteously and in the same manner as they would like to be treated. Paying bribes is not acceptable under any circumstances and hunters are encouraged to expose anyone who tries to extort money or who offers a bribe to an official in order to circumvent due legal procedures.
Robert J Stokes

slugslinger

Re: South Africa Firearms Regulations Change

Post by slugslinger »

Amen brother! My (upcoming) lodge in Namibia let me know, and also DSC and SCI are sending out notifications. It is anticipated that other countries will follow suit. The odd thing is that I actually asked my local Customs Officer about the expired date on mine last month, and he said not to worry about it!
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Yea, I've been at the police station when they had their hands out for bribes over a transposed character in a serial number before. Believe me, you don't want to give them any opportunity.
I was told the same thing by US customs, you don't need a new 4457, nobody enforces the expiration date, I didn't buy it then and certainly not after a warning is issued saying they intend to enforce it.
Good luck on your upcoming hunt.
Robert J Stokes

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Isn't it the expiration date of the form itself - which is all the same and a trigger for offices to obtain new forms from Washington - and not the completed 4457?

There has been a suggestion elsewhere of whiting out the expiration date, making a colour copy and travelling with that - bingo bongo, no bribe required and only Stateside will it be obvious you're travelling with a duplicate :whistle:

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

I'm creating new ones from the downloaded form on the US Customs website - its expiration is dated 8/31/2019. The interesting thing is that a month (or so) ago, that online form had an EXPIRED date. I don't take chances with something that can supremely screw up your trip, and is fairly easy to fix . . .
USAF Veteran

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

It appears that a trip to Albuquerque is in order to get my forms updated before July.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

This is the one from the CBP web site . . . it prints just a little larger than the old hardcopy one.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files ... 204457.pdf

Regards,
USAF Veteran

Return to “International Firearms Freedoms”