New TSA Regulations, Scopes in Carry-on

A place to discuss regulations, or the over regulation in most case, that our members have to deal with in their respective countries. Hopefully discussion will lead to more rules based on common sense, rather than fears by the government.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

stivallj

New TSA Regulations, Scopes in Carry-on

Post by stivallj »

On March 25, 2018 we arrived at JFK on way to South Africa. I had the scope for my R93 in my carry on, along with binos and cameras. I had done this on 4 previous trips without any issues. Going through security we were informed that scopes are now considered gun parts and must be put in checked luggage. Luckily, we were able to return to the South African Airlines counter, and check in our bag with the scope. I had them put a firearms tag on the bag, which enabled me to put a non-TSA lock on the bag. This new rule will apply to all flights originating in the US. On the return I just left the scope on the rifle.

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Re: New TSA Regulations, Scopes in Carry-on

Post by pagosawingnut »

Handy information to have. Thanks
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Well then, it sounds like Dumb & Dumber must be righting the Reg's for TSA and have two much time on their hands.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stivallj

Post by stivallj »

In the past I have had bullets (just the tips), that I was bring to SA for my PH, confiscated by TSA. So, anything that can be considered part of a rifle is not allowed in carry-on luggage. I had some in my checked luggage and that was not a problem.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I went to the TSA website and found this;
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 7.18.52 AM.png
I'm thinking either they haven't updated their website or that was just a New York thing. Either way it sucks to have to deal with their inconsistencies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stivallj

Post by stivallj »

I was told that it was just implemented.

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

I think it is consistent with the poorly-managed TSA. They even bewilder US Customs with their execution sometimes. They post a written regulations, and then say the local officer can do whatever they want. TSA regs should be documented and enforced for all US airports (including JFK), not the local guy who may be ignorant of their own rules or personally biased. My favorite personal experience was a so-called TSA officer at DFW wearing a burka and "wanding" (handheld metal detector) a US Air Force 2-Star General (in uniform). A Dallas passenger was detained by TSA for complaining about that behavior!
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

If they are anything like the staff st our airports a new scope in its box is a telescope, a scope fitted with QD rings is a gun part.... and strictly speaking a scope requires an export permit from our department of defence, as does ammunition unaccompanied by a firearm....

It gets better though, the Department of Defence issues permits online whilst customs demands you queue up at the airport offices 2 weeks in advance

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

STA is a bit like the clause in our firearms laws regarding the commissioner's and his agents discretion.

It opens the door for any wander to make up their own personal interpretation of the law instead of what's actually written.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stivallj

Post by stivallj »

Just to clarify, one scope was in the box, no rings. It still was considered a gun part by the TSA agent.

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

The TSA website clearly states that rifle scopes can be in checked or carry on baggage. I think your agent did not know that. I always carry a copy of the TSA traveling with firearms guidelines with me, as well as a copy of the airline I am flying rules.

Return to “International Firearms Freedoms”