(Grains of powder) 56.0

(Brand, and type of primer) Federal GM215M

(COL) Seated to center of channeler 3.230"

(FPS) 2339

(Rifle) Blaser R8

(Barrel Length) 20.5"

(Scope) Zeiss 3-12X56mm

(Weather conditions & temp.) Clear, Calm, 84 F

(Accuracy @ 100 yards/meters) .75" but very accurate at 300 yards, 1.5" or just under 1/2 MOA

(Notes) Warning, there is no published data on this powder and bullet combination, I do not know the pressure, but it is safe in my gun, carefully work up to this in your gun watching for signs of high pressure, just as I did. I've now fired over 50 rounds of this load, with no high pressure signs, radius remaining on primer, tight primer pockets after 3 loadings, and no case head expansion.

This is a very consistent load with sufficient velocity to insure expansion out to 300 yards at which distance it is still above the Nosler published minimum velocity threshold of 1,800 FPS. It is also pin point accurate at this distance in my rifle producing consistent .5 MOA performance. The trajectory of this load also matches the Zeiss ASV+ #8 ring perfectly on my 3-12X56 HT. I'm not quite sure how it can be more accurate at 300 yards than at 100 yards but it is a very repeatable phenomenon. This is also a nice load in that the powder charge is just right when the bullet is seated to the channeler, lightly compressed. Most other powders require that the bullet be seated out long when achieving this velocity range to avoid over compression and bulged cases.

This is my load of choice when I want deep penetration, 32'-40" and the ability to use it to 300 yards.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Re: 9.3X62 Nosler 286 Partition

Post by SPEEDY »

More accurate at longer ranges is a common thing, as a bullet leaves a barrel it is destabilised (yaw) and it takes a while for the rotation created by the barrel to stabilise it. Called many names but I like "goes to sleep" myself.

Bigger and long for calibre bullets are affected more.

Just a little FYI.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Re: 9.3X62 Nosler 286 Partition

Post by stokesrj »

Yes, I've heard the term goes to sleep, especially as applied to VLD type bullets. Up until now, I haven't seen it with my own eyes, only heard about it, even with really long for caliber sleek bullets like the 140 grain 6.5mm Berger VLD, mine have all been linear, .5"at 100 yards, 1" at 200 yards, 1.5" at 300 yards and so on for my accurate loads.

I have seen a lot of the opposite, bullets that print really tight groups at 100, 200, 300 yards and then fall apart at 600 or even go through the paper sideways at 1,000 yards.

I guess there is a set of experiences we don't all share in common, but individually. That is really the cool thing about being able to share our experiences collectively, the internet helps.

Bob
Robert J Stokes

Return to “9.3X62 Database”