New 6Xc

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

New 6Xc

Post by Corjack »

Nearly two. months ago , I got this put together. Have been busy with life, work, and projects. It is;

Bighorn TL3 action
Manners PRS 1 stock with mini chassis and MPA rail.
Hawk Hill 7.5 twist, marksman contour 6xc barrel.
Area 419 Hellfire brake
Trigger Tech special trigger.

It is stupid accurate. I have shot three matches with it, and the longer prone stages I usually clean, or only drop one shot. Last match I hit a full size IPSC at 1188 yards centred, twice, and it put both in about a softball.

Not quite used to the more traditional stock off of obstacles yet, but getting better. So used to the KRG chassis, I have not made up my mind which is best for me. Have another Bighorn action ordered, and will throw it in the KRG chassis, and spend the next year making the decision as what I like best.

Just got the new Kahles 5-25 scope. Had been shooting it with the Kahles 3-18 and getting along great. The optics in the 3-18 and 5-25 seem to be improved over the 6-24 I have.

My last XC barrel went south in about 2200-2400 rounds. I am happy with that, as this PRS rapid fire stuff is hard on barrels, and a lot of guys are only getting 1800 rounds out of theirs.
IMG_4539.JPG
IMG_4540.JPG
IMG_4541.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: New 6Xc

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Very nice looking rig Ron. Im a fan of leaving the barrel stainless, looks very cool.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

Looks like a nice set up :clap:
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Very sweet looking set up Ron and you are obviously doing your part. :clap:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Glad you are getting along in the PRS matches and finding it interesting enough to keep driving forward. Burning out barrels is the only way to really learn to shoot a rifle. At least for me, I didn't learn, really learn, until the fourth barrel, then things started to come together nicely.
Robert J Stokes

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

The 6XC is a great cartridge. I built one for PRS competition in 2016, although I haven't really shot it much until this rear. My son was shooting it earlier in the year in perpetration for a match. We were doing load development on a new bullet, so shooting a ladder test. As it was blowing a gale that day, we pullet the target back to 200 meters as a starting point. The first 3 shots were loaded with .3gn increments of AR2209/H4350 powder. I watched the shots go down range through the spotting scope, and after the first shot, I thought the following bullets were being blown off the paper, but I went and checked the target and it turned out all 3 shots had gone through a .110" sized hole.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Rifletuner wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:12 pm The 6XC is a great cartridge. I built one for PRS competition in 2016, although I haven't really shot it much until this rear. My son was shooting it earlier in the year in perpetration for a match. We were doing load development on a new bullet, so shooting a ladder test. As it was blowing a gale that day, we pullet the target back to 200 meters as a starting point. The first 3 shots were loaded with .3gn increments of AR2209/H4350 powder. I watched the shots go down range through the spotting scope, and after the first shot, I thought the following bullets were being blown off the paper, but I went and checked the target and it turned out all 3 shots had gone through a .110" sized hole.

Cool. Looks like a Tikka, lefty. No muzzle brake?
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Yes, left bolt Tikka T3. They seem to be a very under rated action for a custom build. For PRC style shooting, they have a lot going for them.

Brake is a long story. I like brakes. I have them on many of my rifles. However when I built this rifle, the actual PRS was not on the horizon in Australia. I have been shooting some other PRS like matches here since early 2016, but the format is more restricted due to range rules / culture. Essentially they shoot a form of tactical F Class, where everything is shot prone, but difficulty is increased buy the use of time limits (eg 2 shots in 8 seconds shot 5 times for a stage of 10 shots) or more challenging targets (eg head sized mover with very limited exposure). Initially we were allowed brakes in these matches, but then their national body decided to ban the use of brakes right while I was building the rifle. This organisation has now modified their rules to specifically allow brakes, but it was up in the air for a while. The PRS entered Australia in 2017 with one match, and have a bigger program this year with 3 matches so far, and I believe more to come.

So at the present time, I am waiting on a brake to arrive for the 6XC. Looking forward to it being even more fun to shoot.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”