30.06 or Magnum -7mm rem Mag/300 win mag-

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Re: 30.06 or Magnum -7mm rem Mag/300 win mag-

Post by Joe338ST » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:23 pm

Wow - all brilliant trophies. I would be all smiles with those.....Looks like you've got all your gear well tuned....

Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:19 pm

This ELD-Xs look about perfect to me. They shed enough weight to create a wide wound channel that will totally destroy vital organs. Tougher bullets create a narrower wound channel and in my experience produce noticeably slower kills especially at extended ranges. The Nosler Partition remains one of my all time favorite bullets in spite of it’s inferior ballistic coefficient it kills really well due to it’s highly frangible front core combined with its harder and protected rear core that drives deep penetration. Unfortunately the low BC robs it of effectiveness beyond 500-600 yards depending on initial velocity. So be very careful choosing a tougher bullet, if shooting beyond short to medium range.
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:24 pm

A good trip :) Well done !

ELDX are plenty tough enough for what you were doing. Weight retention is over rated and over emphasized. :)

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”