Terminal Ballistics of Long Range Bullets

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

stokesrj

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Long Range Bullets

Post by stokesrj »

turner.jc1 wrote:Which bullet do you hunt with out of interest?
I've hunted with the 140 grain Berger Hunting VLD quite a bit and before that, the Nosler 140 grain Partition out of this rifle. I've not experienced any of the erratic behavior with the Berger that the tests would indicate might happen at low impact velocity but then I haven't shot any animals beyond 547 yards with it either. I have seen it happen with 30 caliber magnums out at 900-1000 yards. The bullet veered off path enough to miss the vitals in a couple of instances.

I have blown a coues deer to pieces with the Berger Hunting VLD at about 50 yards, it definitely is not a bullet you want to use up close if you like to conserve venison like I do. That is if your using a hot rod caliber like my 6.5 STW or 26 Nosler, 6.5-300 Weatherby class rifle. For those up close the Barnes is a far superior bullet. Unfortunately, it suffers from excessive wind drift at longer ranges.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

Saugmann
Pro Staff

Post by Saugmann »

Hi Bob,

Thanks again for this post.

I'm due to do load development with Berger 168 grain hunting VLD for my 7x64 and it's reassuring to hear that you've had good performance on game.

I won't be shooting very far and the 7x64 is no velocity monster so I expect good results.

I will report back (probably a different post, as this is a long range thread).

Christian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Saugmann wrote:Hi Bob,

Thanks again for this post.

I'm due to do load development with Berger 168 grain hunting VLD for my 7x64 and it's reassuring to hear that you've had good performance on game.

I won't be shooting very far and the 7x64 is no velocity monster so I expect good results.

I will report back (probably a different post, as this is a long range thread).

Christian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep it's an awesome post and I've read it a few times myself and find new bits of info every time :clap: :clap:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Thanks Bob , food for thought , I'm just about to do load development on my 6.5x55 and then in a few weeks when my 338 barrel turns up on that.
Cheers
Steve

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”