Square Vs Round

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

Square Vs Round

Post by Corjack » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:56 am

I am going to get a sheet of AR500 lasered into gongs. These will be for my own use, and to offer up for sale on Blaserbuds. Right now I am hanging them with belting material, as chains are just a pita. I was thinking no reason to make them round. A square the same size as a round actually has more impact area. I will have them laser two holes in the corner of the 12 and 16 inchers, and one hole in the corner of the 8,6 and 4 inchers. Cutting cost will be much lower as well, as the nearly total lack of waste. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Re: Square Vs Round

Post by stokesrj » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:17 am

Square is good, don't know about belts, we use chains with no problems, often use the same chains for multiple replacements of gongs. What troubles are you having with chains?
Bob
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:24 am

stokesrj wrote:Square is good, don't know about belts, we use chains with no problems, often use the same chains for multiple replacements of gongs. What troubles are you having with chains?
Bob
Every where I have been that had steel hanging with chains. It was a constant job replacing links that were shot in two. I have used belting material for a couple years now, and it is a lot less maintainence. In fact at the last two trade shows, two different manufacturers, where advocating the use of fire hose, as when it is past it's useful date, it can be sourced at fire epartments for little or no cost.

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Post by KZ45 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:04 am

For long range rifle, I prefer square.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:16 am

The ranges with shot up chains mush have inferior chain materials. The Manatee range has gongs at 600 and 1,000 yards and the chains are always intact. I don't think I've ever seen one shot in two. The Gongs have to be replaced every few months as they get pounded thousands of times a week.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:42 am

stokesrj wrote:The ranges with shot up chains mush have inferior chain materials. The Manatee range has gongs at 600 and 1,000 yards and the chains are always intact. I don't think I've ever seen one shot in two. The Gongs have to be replaced every few months as they get pounded thousands of times a week.
Bob
I am not sure about that Robert, as I have tried grade 8 chain myself, and it tears up on a regular basis. Once I switched to belting, I will never go back.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:15 am

I like to make them square for general targets. If you don't like chain try going to your local Fire Department and see if you can get a roll of worn out fire hose. I also use button head high strength bolts for attachment, but then again I'm a structural steel fabricator and erector. If ricochet becomes a concern, move you holes down the side of the plate a little to get roughly a 20 degree slant.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:18 am

Good to know, I've never seen belting used for gongs, but I have used fire hose in archery butt applications.

I'll check to see what type of chains they use at the Manatee range. I was just there looking at their gongs a few weeks ago, I saw chain links that were distorted, but none that were cut through or even close to being cut through. The plates on the other hand would hardly hold paint :)

Bob
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:50 am

May have something to do with shooting at 300 400 yards bullets are not going as fast at 1000. Belting material here is free for used and farm stores carry new for not much.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”