Looking for an LR scope.

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

SPEEDY

Looking for an LR scope.

Post by SPEEDY »

I have been looking at a new LR scope for a 308win, I would usually pick a safe option like a Nightforce or Leopold Mark IV, but I have been looking at something different this time.
The Vortex viper Hs Lr 6-24x50 is the front runner, simple uncluttered MOA reticle and the 1/2 moa elevation gives it 24 moa per turret rotation which is a big plus. The other option is the Zeiss 6.5-20 which is a great scope but I'm unsure about the rapid Z 1000 reticle is too cluttered for my liking and I have never found reticles that are "designed" for a particular caliber is never particularly good and you can't just use simple more common mill or moa markings.

Anyone tried either of them or have another option I haven't looked at yet?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

brumar
Pro Staff

Re: Looking for an LR scope.

Post by brumar »

I prompt you to consider also the New Leica LSR 6,5-27X56 , simply wonderfull !!!

https://en.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optic ... and-ER-LRS

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

I have the Zeiss Z1000 on my .308 and it works incredibly well. It IS a busy scope, and it takes some getting used to the yardage placements. It took some practice before I was comfortable with the 100 yard hash mark all the way in the top with the center crosshair being the 500 yard but I learned.
Another option is to acquire one of the Scopes with target turrets and have a custom turret made with yardage markers laser engraved on it. I believe that Leupold makes them for less than 100.00 US
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

pagosawingnut wrote:I have the Zeiss Z1000 on my .308 and it works incredibly well. It IS a busy scope, and it takes some getting used to the yardage placements. It took some practice before I was comfortable with the 100 yard hash mark all the way in the top with the center crosshair being the 500 yard but I learned.
Another option is to acquire one of the Scopes with target turrets and have a custom turret made with yardage markers laser engraved on it. I believe that Leupold makes them for less than 100.00 US
That's the trouble with it, if the reticle was that good then you wouldn't need the adjustable turrets, and if you have adjustable turrets then you can't use the reticle marks once you adjust the zero.

The other trouble that I have with both is having the reticle in the 2nd plane, that could be tricky too.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

There are a lot of scopes and reticles out there. I wouldn't concern myself about clutter to much. It seems that once you become familiar with and have a better understanding of a reticle the less clutter you'll notice.

But before you layout a whole bunch of cold hard cash I'd suggest spending a couple of dollars on the app Strelok Pro. It's a good external ballistics app to use for trajectories of different bullets at different muzzle velocities. But one thing I especially like about Strelok over many other apps is that it offers many more scopes and reticles to play with and sample.

I updated the app recently and just opened it and noticed that it looks like it will now bluetooth with the Kestrel 5X00 units. :think:

Anyway, maybe something to consider.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

For me, I don't want the complication of adjustable turrets and a BDC reticle of any kind. I want one or the other, not both.

For truly long range, I don't want a BDC reticle, I don't want a first focal point reticle. I do want a second plain reticle with a non complicated center point of aim. I do want absolutely repeatable turret movements, no hysteresis no jumping.

Not many scopes can live up to these requirements, I know, I've used many at variable range competitions where any error is evident to the shooter as well as any competitor.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That seems to be me, I like to be dialed in and just have a few reference marks if the target moves 10-20m.
I like to do a range card and be ready with multiple references and aim offs for the all ready worked out.

Lucky the barrel is still a month or more away so I can put off buying one a bit, I saw an off-road for sale that I just had to have so that took a chunk out of my scope funds for a few weeks :oops:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Pick up a cheap nightforce nsx with zero stop 5.5-15x56 now on used guns cheap enough. Vortex are known to let go a fair bit so I'm told.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That was one thing both vortex, same warranty as Leopold but no one on the long Range forums seems to knock them.
But my 1st initial pick was to go for a Nightforce 5-25x56. I really don't want under 20x although all my previous long range was with 2.5-10x scopes.
I did give some thought to a fixed power, in a qd mount it would work well, stalk out with a hunting scope, find a place to glass, change glass, do reading and prepare, dial it in and then boom.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I was fairly impressed with the newer nightforce, less expensive scopes. I would buy one of them over the Vortex in a heartbeat.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

SPEEDY wrote:That was one thing both vortex, same warranty as Leopold but no one on the long Range forums seems to knock them.
m.
No sure on what forums your reading but there letting go. Can't expect much for a Philippine made scope. The only one that's meant to be any good is their top of the range one but at over $3k out here it wants to be good.Thats there Razor HD. But for that money you would buy an Atacr.
But in saying that the guys I have spoken to have said there clear glass and dial correctly but would go nightforce next time.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I have several Swarovski, Zeiss, Schmidt Bender, Night Force and Leupold scopes. All are good at one thing or another, for long range, I don't think you can beat Night Force unless you are willing to pay double or triple price for a Schmidt Bender. The secret is in the turret movements, how precise, how repeatable they are. I've seen some real disappointments in peoples expectations and the real world realizations of reputable settings. This is true even when spending $2k to $5k.
Notice I didn't list Vortex, many of my friends use them, but I have noticed over the years not many use them for long. They eventually migrate to Night Force or March. But there are some recently introduced scopes that may well change that dynaic.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

stokesrj wrote:I have several Swarovski, Zeiss, Schmidt Bender, Night Force and Leupold scopes. All are good at one thing or another, for long range, I don't think you can beat Night Force unless you are willing to pay double or triple price for a Schmidt Bender. The secret is in the turret movements, how precise, how repeatable they are. I've seen some real disappointments in peoples expectations and the real world realizations of reputable settings. This is true even when spending $2k to $5k.
Notice I didn't list Vortex, many of my friends use them, but I have noticed over the years not many use them for long. They eventually migrate to Night Force or March. But there are some recently introduced scopes that may well change that dynaic.
Bob
That's why I'm a big fan of Nightforce there very accurate with their dailing. I just got myself the current Atacr and it kicks ass over my old NSX zero stop. But I would always buy a nightforce as for the price you pay the next best thing is a S&B and you can buy 2 nightforce for one S&B.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I was looking back at my old long range rifles, of all that I had my favorite was my custom Remington 700, it had a 25" bull barrel, McMillan M40A1 HTG stock, Badger ordnance bottom metal with AI magazines, Badger ordnance 20moa rail and rings.
But more importantly it wore a 3.5-10x40 Leopold Mark 4 M2 TMR.
Now that's not as big as I have been looking at, it wasn't great at 300-500m target shooting but for shooting goats out to 800m it was perfect.
That makes me think I might have been thinking about a much more powerful scope then I really need, heat haze and shimmer is fairly bad in summer at higher magnification, it might be good for target shooting but maybe not for long range hunting.
Maybe I should be looking at something similar this time.
Another thing was I really liked that rifle for the stock, it was a hunting sporter profile with that heavy barrel.
That made it great for long range and for a walk around stalking rifle if a bit heavy.
It's a shame I didn't see how the match barrel fit in the R93 stock, I suppose I've got the old one I could play with it a bit and see.
M40-A1_no_break.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

The better the scope the easier it is. I just up graded from the NSX 5.5-22x56 zero stop to the latest Atacr 5-25x56 and the difference you would think you were swimming in a dirty pool. The glass is very clear. I'm picking my hits up at 500 meters with it. If you can go bigger and better I recommend to do it. But in saying that there's nothing wrong with the NSX it's just the Atacr is much better.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”