Plastic Tips Melting

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

Plastic Tips Melting

Post by Corjack »

Do you think the non melting plastic tip on the new Hornady bullets makes much difference?
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Re: Plastic Tips Melting

Post by KZ45 »

If it were a 6.5mm in a Creedmoor, or Swede, I'd say no. In a 264 WM, maybe. Don't they also offer a better BC?

They say it makes a difference beyond 400yds. I'd like to know how much.

trazman
Meister der jagd

Post by trazman »

From the data the BC is immediately higher so there is improvement also in the bullet design. What I understand is that with the old tip the bullet BC was changing during the flight because of melting. With the new tips this is solved so there is no melting and bullet BC is constant all the way...

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Be a good thing for long range for sure, don't Sierra have the same thing or similar on their new tipped matchkings?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

trazman wrote:From the data the BC is immediately higher so there is improvement also in the bullet design. What I understand is that with the old tip the bullet BC was changing during the flight because of melting. With the new tips this is solved so there is no melting and bullet BC is constant all the way...
That's what there saying. It want be to long and we should have them here to try.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I doubt there is any significant difference, but there is a difference. The softer tips do change shape as they go through the air. I trust Hornady to report accurately. This ELD-X bullet is the only one that my Doplar Radar system agrees exactly with the published BC.

That said, I don't think the tip design will stand out as anything significant, other factors will make it almost impossible to detect the difference.

In my 6.5STW the 140 grain ELD-X shoots an identical trajectory to the 140 grain Berger VLD. They are indistinguishable in the field. However, the terminal effects are different. The ELD-X expands more reliably at long range and penetrates closer to a straight line.

Bob
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

deerhunter338mag wrote:
trazman wrote:From the data the BC is immediately higher so there is improvement also in the bullet design. What I understand is that with the old tip the bullet BC was changing during the flight because of melting. With the new tips this is solved so there is no melting and bullet BC is constant all the way...
That's what there saying. It want be to long and we should have them here to try.
Magnum Sports have them listed. Don't know if they are in stock or not.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

secondtry wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote:
Magnum Sports have them listed. Don't know if they are in stock or not.
I tried them a couple weeks ago.
They are taking pre orders and wernt in stock.
I received a reply email from Hornady that the ELD match 285gr in .338 are due in Aus in April-May .
The ELD X haven't been made for the 338.
Manufacture date 2017
Not sure about other cals

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Some calibres and weights are on Aussie shelves now.

I don't know whether they have come in through Herron or OSA or both.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

I'm looking forward in trying them out.
Getting sick of the Berger availability

:D :D

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Reading through the literature here http://www.hornady.com/support/heat-shield I can safely say nothing I load for will see any benefits from this new technology
As mentioned, moderate and low BC tipped bullets (less than .550 G1) are not significantly affected. Case in point: a 22 caliber 50gr V-Max with a conventional polymer tip, fired at 3,700 fps, has a 400 yard radar verified average BC of .232. With a Heat Shield tip, it still had a BC of .232. Similarly, a 7mm 162gr SST has a 500 yard radar verified average BC of .520. When tested with a Heat Shield tip, it only gained a small amount of BC - .532. The .012 increase in BC is too small to matter on this bullet at any distance this bullet would expand on game.
So I can safely go back to my coffee and newspaper :whistle:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: So I can safely go back to my coffee and newspaper :whistle:
Tad late in the day for that isn't it, regardless of how gracious one's lifestyle may be. :lol:

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

The reason I am asking is, I have a hankering to buy about a thousand of these https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/pro ... chKing-TMK

Over a dime a piece cheaper. These 6.5s seem to go through a lot of bullets. I plan on popping a lot of primers this year.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

According to Hornady data the BC of the Sierras is lower than the threshold of .55 where the tips melting causes problems

What do you plan on running them in and pointing them at?

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

The Creedmoors, and the x47. Steel gongs mainly, but planning to stretch things out to 600 yards this year.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”