Reticle choice?

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Post Reply
User avatar
SPEEDY
Moderator
Posts: 9590
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 am
Location: Southern highland- Australia
Location: Albury, NSW, Australia

Reticle choice?

Post by SPEEDY » Mon May 09, 2016 7:36 am

I'm trying to decide between an MOAR and IHR (international hunting reticle) to go on the 308win.

I was originally going with the MOAR but I like the simplicity of the IHR and I figured that if I'm dialing in my range for long range shots then the only advantage of the MOAR is for fine aiming off if my shots off.
But I'm not planning on emptying the mag at long range, I figure 1 or 2 shots and that's it so I don't know if it's going to be necessary.

So what do you all think?


I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

User avatar
KZ45
Meister der jagd
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 10:15 am
Location: Nevada USA

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by KZ45 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:56 am

I'm getting away from the complicated reticles, and relying more on my turrets. I have a Nightforce optic with the MOAR reticle, and the crosshair is the only part I use. The MOAR comes in handy if you're using it for ranging, and it saves you a little time when you're sighting in.

Packas
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:20 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by Packas » Mon May 09, 2016 9:26 am

SPEEDY wrote:I'm trying to decide between an MOAR and IHR (international hunting reticle) to go on the 308win.

I was originally going with the MOAR but I like the simplicity of the IHR and I figured that if I'm dialing in my range for long range shots then the only advantage of the MOAR is for fine aiming off if my shots off.
But I'm not planning on emptying the mag at long range, I figure 1 or 2 shots and that's it so I don't know if it's going to be necessary.

So what do you all think?

I'm considering the same for my pending new 308W pro success. I think the Nighforce SHV with MOAR and 0.250MOA click turret with zeroset are a great combination.
Another alternative for me is the Swaro Z5 with ballistic turret and 4W reticle (for wind but honestly I doubt I'll ever use that feature).

Are you mounting scope on Blaser? I'm wondering how would NF look on a Blaser. Would a sexy Swaro look prettier :D

User avatar
Kay9Cop
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: Alaska
Location: Wasilla, AK

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by Kay9Cop » Mon May 09, 2016 11:18 am

I have a NF 2.5-10x42 on my R8 with an illuminated IHR reticle. I dial with the turrets and like the uncluttered reticle.
Beware the man with only one gun; he probably knows how to use it.

7x57
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Australia
Location: Tasmania

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by 7x57 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:05 pm

Kay9Cop wrote:I have a NF 2.5-10x42 on my R8 with an illuminated IHR reticle. I dial with the turrets and like the uncluttered reticle.
I think that if dialling with turrets the IHR reticle is the way to go. I find that with my Swaro and the BT system a simple uncluttered reticle works really well especially in a hunting environment. I could live with either reticle however. At the moment there is a Nightforce run out of last years models and demos Speedy - might be worth a look. Choice is a bit limited but good pricing.

User avatar
SPEEDY
Moderator
Posts: 9590
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 am
Location: Southern highland- Australia
Location: Albury, NSW, Australia

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by SPEEDY » Mon May 09, 2016 6:36 pm

Packas wrote:
SPEEDY wrote:I'm trying to decide between an MOAR and IHR (international hunting reticle) to go on the 308win.

I was originally going with the MOAR but I like the simplicity of the IHR and I figured that if I'm dialing in my range for long range shots then the only advantage of the MOAR is for fine aiming off if my shots off.
But I'm not planning on emptying the mag at long range, I figure 1 or 2 shots and that's it so I don't know if it's going to be necessary.

So what do you all think?

I'm considering the same for my pending new 308W pro success. I think the Nighforce SHV with MOAR and 0.250MOA click turret with zeroset are a great combination.
That's the same scope I'm looking at, out to 300m no need to work out a dope, and as I'm only shooting out to a max 700m then aiming off for wind isn't nearly as bad as proper long range.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

User avatar
stokesrj
Moderator
Posts: 5165
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:41 pm
Location: USA
Location: Mesa AZ, USA

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by stokesrj » Mon May 09, 2016 7:20 pm

I only have the NPR-2, my first Night Force reticle and the NP-2DD that I have actual field experience with. I like them both, but I like the NP-2DD best. Less clutter is what I like when using a scope with capable turrets. I use ballistic reticles on my Leupolds but don't want anything to do with them on a proper long range scope.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

User avatar
deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator
Posts: 8773
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Australia
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by deerhunter338mag » Tue May 10, 2016 2:03 am

I have 2 NF scopes and are both MOAR. I found it to be very handy. On the odd time you miss and your target doesn't run off as there's nothing at deer school that says " some guy just shot at me a K away" I just use hold over as its nice and quick and accurate.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

User avatar
SPEEDY
Moderator
Posts: 9590
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 am
Location: Southern highland- Australia
Location: Albury, NSW, Australia

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by SPEEDY » Tue May 10, 2016 2:49 am

Just saw a Leuopold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 with the tmr on used guns, I just texed about it so I might get it.
I had the tmr on my last LR rifle and found it great.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

User avatar
SPEEDY
Moderator
Posts: 9590
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 am
Location: Southern highland- Australia
Location: Albury, NSW, Australia

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by SPEEDY » Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 am

Yep, looks like I'm getting a TMR
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Hendrik470
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: Auckland
Location: New Zealand

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by Hendrik470 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:24 am

+1 for the MOAR

User avatar
SPEEDY
Moderator
Posts: 9590
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 am
Location: Southern highland- Australia
Location: Albury, NSW, Australia

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by SPEEDY » Tue May 10, 2016 6:57 am

It's a mute point now, I got a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 with TMR and while a 20x isn't what I was looking for the deal was good and I'm fond of the TMR.
It's just like a plex reticle but with fine hash and half hash marks for fine tuning.
So I'm happy with it, I can get a Nightforce 3.5-10x40 SHV with the IHR reticle as a stalking scope down the track.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Petehack
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by Petehack » Wed May 11, 2016 8:33 pm

IMG_0839.JPG
manure pic but my r8 with a nf on it. moar reticle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
sav338
Meister der jagd
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:25 am
Location: Australia
Location: Melbourne

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by sav338 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:54 am

IMG_0535.JPG
my 338 lap with a Nightforce atacr moar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”