Reticle choice?

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

SPEEDY

Reticle choice?

Post by SPEEDY » Mon May 09, 2016 7:36 am

I'm trying to decide between an MOAR and IHR (international hunting reticle) to go on the 308win.

I was originally going with the MOAR but I like the simplicity of the IHR and I figured that if I'm dialing in my range for long range shots then the only advantage of the MOAR is for fine aiming off if my shots off.
But I'm not planning on emptying the mag at long range, I figure 1 or 2 shots and that's it so I don't know if it's going to be necessary.

So what do you all think?

I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Re: Reticle choice?

Post by KZ45 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:56 am

I'm getting away from the complicated reticles, and relying more on my turrets. I have a Nightforce optic with the MOAR reticle, and the crosshair is the only part I use. The MOAR comes in handy if you're using it for ranging, and it saves you a little time when you're sighting in.

Packas

Post by Packas » Mon May 09, 2016 9:26 am

SPEEDY wrote:I'm trying to decide between an MOAR and IHR (international hunting reticle) to go on the 308win.

I was originally going with the MOAR but I like the simplicity of the IHR and I figured that if I'm dialing in my range for long range shots then the only advantage of the MOAR is for fine aiming off if my shots off.
But I'm not planning on emptying the mag at long range, I figure 1 or 2 shots and that's it so I don't know if it's going to be necessary.

I'm considering the same for my pending new 308W pro success. I think the Nighforce SHV with MOAR and 0.250MOA click turret with zeroset are a great combination.
Another alternative for me is the Swaro Z5 with ballistic turret and 4W reticle (for wind but honestly I doubt I'll ever use that feature).

Are you mounting scope on Blaser? I'm wondering how would NF look on a Blaser. Would a sexy Swaro look prettier :D

Kay9Cop

Post by Kay9Cop » Mon May 09, 2016 11:18 am

I have a NF 2.5-10x42 on my R8 with an illuminated IHR reticle. I dial with the turrets and like the uncluttered reticle.
Beware the man with only one gun; he probably knows how to use it.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:05 pm

Kay9Cop wrote:I have a NF 2.5-10x42 on my R8 with an illuminated IHR reticle. I dial with the turrets and like the uncluttered reticle.
I think that if dialling with turrets the IHR reticle is the way to go. I find that with my Swaro and the BT system a simple uncluttered reticle works really well especially in a hunting environment. I could live with either reticle however. At the moment there is a Nightforce run out of last years models and demos Speedy - might be worth a look. Choice is a bit limited but good pricing.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY » Mon May 09, 2016 6:36 pm

Packas wrote:
SPEEDY wrote:I'm trying to decide between an MOAR and IHR (international hunting reticle) to go on the 308win.

I'm considering the same for my pending new 308W pro success. I think the Nighforce SHV with MOAR and 0.250MOA click turret with zeroset are a great combination.
That's the same scope I'm looking at, out to 300m no need to work out a dope, and as I'm only shooting out to a max 700m then aiming off for wind isn't nearly as bad as proper long range.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj » Mon May 09, 2016 7:20 pm

I only have the NPR-2, my first Night Force reticle and the NP-2DD that I have actual field experience with. I like them both, but I like the NP-2DD best. Less clutter is what I like when using a scope with capable turrets. I use ballistic reticles on my Leupolds but don't want anything to do with them on a proper long range scope.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Tue May 10, 2016 2:03 am

I have 2 NF scopes and are both MOAR. I found it to be very handy. On the odd time you miss and your target doesn't run off as there's nothing at deer school that says " some guy just shot at me a K away" I just use hold over as its nice and quick and accurate.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY » Tue May 10, 2016 2:49 am

Just saw a Leuopold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 with the tmr on used guns, I just texed about it so I might get it.
I had the tmr on my last LR rifle and found it great.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY » Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 am

Yep, looks like I'm getting a TMR

Hendrik470

Post by Hendrik470 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:24 am

+1 for the MOAR

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY » Tue May 10, 2016 6:57 am

It's a mute point now, I got a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 with TMR and while a 20x isn't what I was looking for the deal was good and I'm fond of the TMR.
It's just like a plex reticle but with fine hash and half hash marks for fine tuning.
So I'm happy with it, I can get a Nightforce 3.5-10x40 SHV with the IHR reticle as a stalking scope down the track.

Petehack

Post by Petehack » Wed May 11, 2016 8:33 pm

IMG_0839.JPG
manure pic but my r8 with a nf on it. moar reticle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:54 am

IMG_0535.JPG
my 338 lap with a Nightforce atacr moar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”