Cheytac or sniptac for R8

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

jeff

Re: Cheytac or sniptac for R8

Post by jeff » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:34 am

A few places do them for the Sauer, just not for the bigger magnum action, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regards,

Jeff

Aussiegunnut

Re: Chaytac or sniptac for R8

Post by Aussiegunnut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:27 am

deerhunter338mag wrote:Yeah it's not that hard it's done by Hardy engineering. You can use any cal as a donor. They just cut the old barrel off an existing receiver, thread the receiver and barrel and screw it together. Pretty simple really. They have done plenty of them over the years. Also means you can unscrew barrel when shot out. You don't specially need a magnum type barrel as a donor, but it's a good idea as its already got the MA stamped on it.
Roger! I thought there was some magical way of making a .375 bore work shooting .338 pills!
I think Bix'n Andy have been successfully doing these types of conversion for quite some time too..?
Blaser R8 22-250, 6.5x284, .300NM
BAT Custom 6x47 Lapua
Pierce 700 28 Nosler

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:55 am

Aussiegunnut wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote:Yeah it's not that hard it's done by Hardy engineering. You can use any cal as a donor. They just cut the old barrel off an existing receiver, thread the receiver and barrel and screw it together. Pretty simple really. They have done plenty of them over the years. Also means you can unscrew barrel when shot out. You don't specially need a magnum type barrel as a donor, but it's a good idea as its already got the MA stamped on it.
Roger! I thought there was some magical way of making a .375 bore work shooting .338 pills!
I think Bix'n Andy have been successfully doing these types of conversion for quite some time too..?
Yep there is. Just screw on a 338 barrel :lol: :lol: .
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Aussiegunnut

Post by Aussiegunnut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:09 am

deerhunter338mag wrote:
Aussiegunnut wrote:

I like it! Haha... Simples
I'd still love to see one disassembled so I could gauge how much supporting material is left after recessing the recieved and then cutting threads in to it...
BAT Custom 6x47 Lapua
Pierce 700 28 Nosler

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:25 am

Aussiegunnut wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote:
Aussiegunnut wrote:

I'd still love to see one disassembled so I could gauge how much supporting material is left after recessing the recieved and then cutting threads in to it...
A mate is getting a 280ai built so time will tell. The company has been making them for years with out issues so they should be fine.

Aussiegunnut

Post by Aussiegunnut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:44 pm

deerhunter338mag wrote:
Aussiegunnut wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote: Yep there is. Just screw on a 338 barrel :lol: :lol: .

A mate is getting a 280ai built so time will tell. The company has been making them for years with out issues so they should be fine.
I wish the people who were paying their good money to get these jobs done would be so kind as to show off the end result!
I'm really interested in seeing this process, I can shoot out my blaser 6.5x284 and have it fitted with a broughton tube... Couldn't be happier with the concept!
I'd love to see a thorough report back from anyone who's ventured down this route...
BAT Custom 6x47 Lapua
Pierce 700 28 Nosler

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:47 pm

Once the mate gets the 280ai back I'll be going over it don't worry and if it's ok will post a few photos. I think it will be a few months away but.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:44 pm

I am confused. I must be missing something. As I understand this you are cutting an existing barrel at some specified point either behind the chamber or along the chamber; would that be somewhere along the case body, or at some datum point on the shoulder, or possibly at the shoulder/neck junction. How do you headspace the new barrel. It seems to me to be just as easy to make a new Blaser barrel. I don't get it, please help me understand.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:26 am

dchamp wrote:I am confused. I must be missing something. As I understand this you are cutting an existing barrel at some specified point either behind the chamber or along the chamber; would that be somewhere along the case body, or at some datum point on the shoulder, or possibly at the shoulder/neck junction. How do you headspace the new barrel. It seems to me to be just as easy to make a new Blaser barrel. I don't get it, please help me understand.

Shoot them off an email and ask them. All I know is they cut the barrel off at the receiver, then cut a thread on the inside of the receiver and put a new barrel in that's been reamed out to your desired cal. I have a mate getting one made ATM, so I can't wait to check it out.
Here is their email details
http://hardyrifleengineering.co.nz/contact-us/

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:07 am

deerhunter338mag wrote:
dchamp wrote:I am confused. I must be missing something. As I understand this you are cutting an existing barrel at some specified point either behind the chamber or along the chamber; would that be somewhere along the case body, or at some datum point on the shoulder, or possibly at the shoulder/neck junction. How do you headspace the new barrel. It seems to me to be just as easy to make a new Blaser barrel. I don't get it, please help me understand.

Shoot them off an email and ask them. All I know is they cut the barrel off at the receiver, then cut a thread on the inside of the receiver and put a new barrel in that's been reamed out to your desired cal. I have a mate getting one made ATM, so I can't wait to check it out.
Here is their email details
http://hardyrifleengineering.co.nz/contact-us/
Not a dissimilar process to that use to build 458 BARs IIRC.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”