Decent android ballistics program?

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've been using shooting solutions android app and have been happy with it but I've found one big flaw.
It won't let you correct it :doh:

So now it keeps telling me that my 308 load is landing 11.75 moa low at 500m but actual testing has proven its only 10 moa low.
I've tested the velocity twice now and goten the same consistent results, I've mesured the scope height and I'm 100% sure where my rounds going.

So what a good program that will let you tweak it like that?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: Decent android ballistics program?

Post by deerhunter338mag »

There's heaps out there and they all work if your happy to spend hours trying to work them out. I'm using "shooter" and just about every guy I know that's into Precision hunting use "Shooter". As far as I know it's the most used app in the world. It's piss easy to use and if you have all your data right and have a scope that is accurate when dialling you will have no issues.

http://www.shooterapp.net
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I use Strelok Pro but I don't know how to tweak it like that either. I have the same issue, measure MV, scope etc and it's always off a few clicks at 300m (for example). I figure it is either my chrony or the published BC or both and fudge the numbers so the calculations are near enough what I actually shoot. :confusion-shrug:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

jeff

Post by jeff »

To fix that, if there is no true-up feature, just tweak the BC until you get the known drop at that range. It could just be that your velocity at that range is giving you a different BC to the manufacturers one you've plugged into the app....especially if the bullet doesn't perfectly match the drag curve you're using.

If you want a really good app though, you can get Brian Litz's Applied Ballistics one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards,

Jeff

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Trouble with tweaking the BC is I have to give the 168gn 308 a BC of .7 instead of .475 and thats a huge difference.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Speedy,
Play with the velocity,
I had to take shots out to 1000m to validate the velocity I put into the program was correct then re adjust those numbers to get the correct adjustments. I haven't got the gear or brain power to check bc, so I have to rely that the manufacturer is correct .
Ps I also use the shooter ap ,

jeff

Post by jeff »

SPEEDY wrote:Trouble with tweaking the BC is I have to give the 168gn 308 a BC of .7 instead of .475 and thats a huge difference.
That sounds like you're possibly using a G1 BC with a bullet likely more matched to a G7 drag curve.....what bullet and what MV are you using?

Last edited by jeff on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Jeff

trazman
Meister der jagd

Post by trazman »

It could be more into it. First I highly suggest you to use the G7 BC instead of G1. Than make sure to have the correct MV. If your chrono is a few meters in front of the barrel than you need to have in mind that then the actual MV is higher than the chrono says... Be sure that your zero atmospherics are set correctly and actual atmospherics. Always use Absolute pressure if possible. The most important rule is TRASH IN TRASH OUT. Even the smaller mistakes will accumulate in error...

What kind of bullets and what kind of chrono do you use?

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

trazman wrote:It could be more into it. First I highly suggest you to use the G7 BC instead of G1. Than make sure to have the correct MV. If your chrono is a few meters in front of the barrel than you need to have in mind that then the actual MV is higher than the chrono says... Be sure that your zero atmospherics are set correctly and actual atmospherics. Always use Absolute pressure if possible. The most important rule is TRASH IN TRASH OUT. Even the smaller mistakes will accumulate in error...

What kind of bullets and what kind of chrono do you use?
Also the scope height not set right, not setting you weather meter to station pressure and just running of barometric pressure can play a big part in it as well. I always find guys just don't validate their speeds properly. I can set my magnetospeed up and run the muzzle velocity from that and at 500 odd meters and it's fine. But once you get out past 800 meters validation is critical. I found if you can hit the bull around 1100 meters your well in the zone of having the programme set up properly.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

deerhunter338mag wrote: I always find guys just don't validate their speeds properly.
Yes, I've taken to calculating/validating MV by measuring bullet drop at 300m, assume the BC reported is correct and calculate what the MV "should have been". Not sure this is the right way of doing it but at my hunting ranges (unlike some of you boys I'm not shooting stuff beyond 400m) it gives me good calibrations for my turrets and app.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Vaughan wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote: I always find guys just don't validate their speeds properly.
Yes, I've taken to calculating/validating MV by measuring bullet drop at 300m, assume the BC reported is correct and calculate what the MV "should have been". Not sure this is the right way of doing it but at my hunting ranges (unlike some of you boys I'm not shooting stuff beyond 400m) it gives me good calibrations for my turrets and app.
Even if the BC is out with the shooter programme that's easy fixed. If the shot is high then the speed you have put in the programme is slower, so just make the speed faster and if the shot is low then just slow your speed down. It's just like turning the radio in until your on the money.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

My load is the 268gn A-max at 2803fps with an ES of 6fps mesured at 5,10&15ft.
I've imputed the exact temp and elervation for the day/place in question.
I don't want to play with the speed as I'm sure of that but fiddling with the rest doesnt change it enough.
I might download a different program and see what it says.

jeff

Post by jeff »

SPEEDY wrote:My load is the 268gn A-max at 2803fps with an ES of 6fps mesured at 5,10&15ft.

Assuming that is meant to be a 168gn Amax, try a G7 BC of .230 and see what it predicts the drop is for 500m with that. That's the average BC suggested from Brian Litz's book where he has done real world tests on the bullets.

Regards,

Jeff

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I think its the program, I just tried my specs out on JBM's online ballistics program and it came in at 9.9 moa drop at 500m so spot on.
300m was 4moa and 400m was 6.8moa.
I use 4moa for 300m and 6.5moa for 400m so its pretty damn good.
Thsts using the G1 bc at .475

Aussiegunnut

Post by Aussiegunnut »

Speedy I can only suggest purchasing "long range made easy" vol 1 and 2 by Todd Hodnett and start at the start. Or flip the bill to have my good mate Glenn Roberts from precision shooting Australia take you through one of his long range shooting courses to learn the longrange fundamentals and how to operate ballistic engines.
It'll help Square away all variables in a methodical sequence and get the whole rifle set up bang on...
Have you confirmed your scopes calibration is correct?
Cheers
Dan
Blaser R8 22-250, 6.5x284, .300NM
BAT Custom 6x47 Lapua
Pierce 700 28 Nosler

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”