Berger Elite Hunters

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Vaughan

Re: Berger Elite Hunters

Post by Vaughan »

Different beasts but I used the hunting and target VLDs in my 6mm a few years back. Plan being same scope settings different targeted animal perfect performance in both - hunting bullet for roes, harder target bullet for black grouse.... It was a good plan, which failed immediately "upon contact with the enemy". The VLDs worked well enough on roes but either bullet would liquify birds, even shot well out past 200m. The result was quite horrible and seemed worse than when they hit a roe but I didn't use them enough to be really sure about that. I hunt birds with 105gr Scenars now and the damage is minimal if shot placement is as it should be. I assume they have a harder jacket but it may be something else that is different.

Odd thing was, the target VLDs would drill through both walls of the solid log barn I put the targets on (I had to use something else once I realised) but basically detonated when they hit game. I asked Berger what they thought was going on and they suggested the bullet reacted differently to dry wood and flesh. Fair enough I guess but oj they did some damage when they hit a grouse.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Yea, bird flesh is especially reactive. I shot a turkey with my .243 using a 100 grain soft point bullet. I saw a wing cartwheeling down from the sky and knew it wouldn't be good. Frankly it made me ill when I approached the scene of the explosion.
Robert J Stokes

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

I have make a habit of looking at every Berger projectile has been cast differently.
What I mean is I place a pin down the hollow point and if the tip is full (with lead ) then I use that on the range but hunt with the ones that actually have a hollow.
I'm not sure if that makes much difference but at lower velocities ie 1500- 2000 fps every thing helps the bullet mushroom or open up.
Maybe use Bergers that are totally full of lead on birds. ?

Saugmann
Pro Staff

Post by Saugmann »

Thanks for clarifying Bob.

Vaughan, interesting and surprising difference.

Cheers,
Christian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

sav338 wrote:I have make a habit of looking at every Berger projectile has been cast differently.
What I mean is I place a pin down the hollow point and if the tip is full (with lead ) then I use that on the range but hunt with the ones that actually have a hollow.
I'm not sure if that makes much difference but at lower velocities ie 1500- 2000 fps every thing helps the bullet mushroom or open up.
Thanks for the tip :clap: :clap: :lol:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Saugmann wrote:Thanks for clarifying Bob.

Vaughan, interesting and surprising difference.

Cheers,
Christian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was just an observation, I'm not sure if the difference was real. I only shot 2 or 3 birds with them and then pulled the lot. The damage was not simply bad it was total so it was obvious the bullets would never work. Worked fine on roes and that might just be body mass reducing the relative size of the wound channel to something manageable.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

deerhunter338mag wrote:
sav338 wrote:I have make a habit of looking at every Berger projectile has been cast differently.
Thanks for the tip Brenton or do I thank Norm that told you.
:D :D :D :D :shock: :o

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

sav338 wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote:
Thanks for the tip Brenton or do I thank Norm that told you.
:D :D :D :D :shock: :o
He tells me many things, but I only pass on just a few things. :lol: :lol:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”