6.5 Observations

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

6.5 Observations

Post by Corjack »

I was talking to a fellow last week. We talked about a cartridge called the 6.5 Addiction. This interest me, as it might be a way I could re chamber my Creed barrels when the throats gets worn out. The 6.5 AD is a blown out, longer necked based on the 6.5X55. It gets 3050 fps easy with a 140 bullet.

Then I ran a few numbers. 3050 fps yields little gain over 2750 in trajectory with the calculations done with the same bullets. I am not as good at calculating time of flight, and how the wind affects the bullet, so there may be a more appreciable gain there.

I am thinking you would have to push a 140 grain bullet 3200+ fps in order to have a noticeable amount of gain in ballistic significance.

According to the PRS blog, out of the top 100 shooters using a 6.5, the average velocity was 2775 fps. Most I talk to are shooting a 140 grain bullet.

I extrapolate from this that, it is pretty much hard to beat a 140 grain 6.5 bullet, traveling between 2650 and 2800 fps. For long range match, and standard, and long range hunting.

Not to bad mouth the 6.5x284, I was never able to figure out what the gain was. Not to argue that it is an accurate caliber.

In order to get enough velocity, you are getting into the realm of specialized rifles with a short barrel life. 6.5 STW, SAUM, etc.

You could go up to a 7mm, but then for match, and extended range sessions, you have to fight the recoil.

As an all a rounder the 6.5 140 grain bullet at around 2700 fps is king.

A lot of rotten fish eating Swedes have known this for over a hundred years.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Re: 6.5 Observations

Post by stokesrj »

Yes, I highly agree the 6.5X55 and similar 6.5 cartridges with 140 grain bullets kills very well, and are ideal for general hunting and target shooting. But boost that same 140 grain bullet up to 3,400 fps, there is a whole new level of effect on game. There is no comparison between the two except they both kill the animal. One does it in a traditional fashion with little meat damage but the animal runs unless the central nervous system is disrupted the other crumples the animal on the spot even with lung shots hitting no CNS or heavy bone.
But please avoid all references to Surströmning, that just isn't right. :puke-front: :puke-front: :puke-front:
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I 100% agree, but what I was trying to go for, was you really can not get there without using a specialized overbore cartridge used as a dedicated hunting rifle, as the barrel life, as I know you have experience with, being under a 1000 rounds.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Yea, I think we are saying the same thing, I don't recommend the hot 6.5's for anything other than specialized long range hunting rigs where 1,000 to 1,500 round barrel life is acceptable. I use standard 6.5 calibers for most situations, like the 6.5X55, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .260 Remington, or the 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform. They are all superb. I think of the bunch the 6.5 Creedmoor is becoming the more desirable as more and more people discover it. I'm pleasantly surprised now when I walk up and down the the 1,000 yard range near me and see over half the people now have moved to the 6.5 Creedmoor. It just gets the job done and is really enjoyable to use.
Ten years ago I was in the minority using my 6.5 Creedmoor. Things have certainly changed, and for the better in my opinion.
Robert J Stokes

Ado

Post by Ado »

Until my 6.5x55 barrel burns out I am going to stick with the Swede as I do not see any significant advantage in the 6.5 Creedmore on home loaded ammunition.

@Corjack - Maybe you need to revisit your post footer to include - The 6.5 is the all-rounder king

:-)

John1911.com
Meister der jagd

Post by John1911.com »

Ado wrote:Until my 6.5x55 barrel burns out I am going to stick with the Swede as I do not see any significant advantage in the 6.5 Creedmore on home loaded ammunition.

@Corjack - Maybe you need to revisit your post footer to include - The 6.5 is the all-rounder king

:-)
I am curious. What would be your observation when comparing factory CM vs x55? Price? Performance? Availability?

Marky

Ado

Post by Ado »

I read an article that suggested that the useable case volume of the x55 was actually larger and that you should be able to achieve the near/same performance levels in a modern action.

In terms of comparing factory ammo - in the UK - the Swede wins on availability. In terms of price, I suspect they will be equally expensive or the CM more so because it is not a popular calibre (as yet). By way of reference, there is way more choice, availability of .308 and .223 at lower price levels overall, then there is for x55 or .222. The situation in the US will be different as will price levels. In terms of performance for factory ammo - I typically use RWS DK 140gr bullets - that round is not available in CM from that manufacturer. No doubt other manufacturers supply CM in the UK, but I have not done a web comparison.

I am curious about this - loading the same 142 SMK bullet, using the same powder and ideally (safety allowing) the same loads and through barrels of the same specification from the same manufacturer for Swede and CM - would you expect a significant difference? Could see that you may need to alter other variables to optimise the load (powder loads and seating height for optimal stability and accuracy). May need to load Swede higher to reach same velocities.

But I imagine a program like Quick Load will not show much difference as its major variables are projectile, propellant and pressure limits? My supposition - do not know whether that is factually correct....

Cheers, Ado

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”