Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Precision Hunter 143 grain ELDX

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Ado

Re: Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Precision Hunter 143 grain ELDX

Post by Ado »

icebug wrote:Hmmm...not sure if I have access to Swiss powders...will have to check it out.
https://www.reload-swiss.com/en/reload_ ... /index.php

Although off topic, I use 43gr RS60 for my 6.5x55 and 142gr SMK - works a treat.

They also have their own load database for various calibres and their different powders but not for the "exotic" Creedmoor. They do supply data for Quickload (.pro file) which might be useful. They also have a customer load database with one load for 6.5 Creedmoor & SMK bullet - so vs. the on topic advice in this thread that would be for broad reference only.

https://www.reload-swiss.com/en/reload_ ... rsteller=-

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Thanks Ado!
I will try to get some RS60, looks promising in 6.5CM, .308Win and even in 7RM.
:handgestures-thumbup:
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

As Hurricane Harvey made landfall across the gulf in Texas, rain bands hit Florida but I decided to take a chance and drive the two hours to the Manatee Range just in case there was a break in the rain that would allow me to continue testing. When I arrived it was dead calm, 79 degrees F, 99% RH and 29.92" HG and steady and the rain had stopped.
I set up a target at 400 yards, dialed the Swarovski Z3 BT to 400 and shot a six shot group with the H4350 loading of 42.1 grains.

There was no mirage so I could see my shots at 400 today through the spotting scope pretty well and the shots were in a nice group relatively well centered but a tad low. Velocities were 2645, 2624, 2615,2620,2637 and 2643 for an average muzzle velocity of 2631 FPS with an ES of 30 and SD of 12.7.

So there it is, job done, this is a clone of the Hornady Precision Hunter 143 grain ELD-X factory load, same velocity, same accuracy. It would have been good to shoot the factory loads side by side under the same conditions to verify the same point of impact as well but in my sinality, I forgot them.

Here is a pic of the six shot group fired at 400 yards with the H4350 clone.
fullsizeoutput_28d4.jpeg
The rain was beginning to move in again but I did have time to fire a five shot group with the IMR4350 loading I had chosen which was 41.2 grains. I chose this one because I had noted in the ladder test that although the velocity was lower than I would like it put three shots nearly through the same hole one increment above and below that charge weight. When I see this clustering in ladder tests, often that is an accuracy node, found without all the accompanying rounds fired and time spent of firing five shot group matrixes. So, I was curious to see what this one would do.

The first shot I could see was low perhaps just a little lower than the H4350 clone load but not out of the ordinary for a load that I knew would be about 30 fps slower and indeed it was 2590 fps. The next shot I forgot to set the trigger on the chronograph. The guy next to me was shooting a short barreled .308 with a brake which was loud enough to trigger my Lab Radar, so I was disarming between shots to prevent getting his velocities mixed in with mine and I forgot to arm my radar and missed that velocity. I could see it was higher but in line with the first shot. The next shot was 2608 but I couldn't see where it went, the fourth shot was 2592, and the fifth shot was 2600 but again I could only see the two holes through my spotting scope. The average velocity of these four shots was 2598, ES 18, and SD 8.2.

As I drove the golf cart down range at the next cease fire to retrieve my target I could see a heavy rain band approaching so I just grabbed it and headed back to the covered firing point. Racing the rain I made in just before a deluge enveloped the entire range that would have spoiled this unique 400 yard target. Quite frankly I've never seen anything like this, four of the five shots had passed through the same hole. What kind of coincidence would create this?
fullsizeoutput_28d3.jpeg
I have no explanation for why the first shot was so low. Still even with that low flyer it is a 3/4 MOA group fired from nearly a quarter mile so not bad but I can't wait to load more of this load and see what they do. Those four shots through the same hole grabbed my attention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Wow. I'm speechless. Those 4 shots in one hole at 400yds are just amazing.
Well done Bob!
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I have a theory about this first manure being low. Every different powder leaves its own unique fowling behind. I think if you had time to fire five shots. The first would have been a flier, and the next four all together. The first one seasons the bore after changing loads. I know that IMR 3031 has a bit of tin in its ingredients, that is a decoppering agent. Not sure about 4350.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Corjack wrote:I have a theory about this first manure being low. Every different powder leaves its own unique fowling behind. I think if you had time to fire five shots. The first would have been a flier, and the next four all together. The first one seasons the bore after changing loads. I know that IMR 3031 has a bit of tin in its ingredients, that is a decoppering agent. Not sure about 4350.
That is a possibility, I'll have to eliminate that variable next time I test this load. However, this barrel has shown an amazing ability to put the shots in the same place cold and clean, cold and dirty or hot and dirty. With the loads it likes, it just flat shoots.
I'm also a little perplexed in that both groups are a little low at 400 yards. The previous range session it was shooting a little high with the same bullet and the same velocity range same scope setting which is 31 clicks up from 100 yard zero. It was 99% humidity but I ran the numbers and it wouldn't account for that. JBM says 30.5 clicks up for the conditions when I shot this group. to center the group I would need to be at 34 clicks.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

My 308win barrels are like that, the 6mm BR on the other hand likes to stay cool not cold but only warm.
If you let it get hot it walks.
My 223rem barrel was like the 308's, my 77/44 is accurate for the 1st 2 shots, but the 3rd round walks a couple of inches if you don't let it cool a bit before firing the 3rd.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

stokesrj wrote:
Corjack wrote:I have a theory about this first manure being low. Every different powder leaves its own unique fowling behind. I think if you had time to fire five shots. The first would have been a flier, and the next four all together. The first one seasons the bore after changing loads. I know that IMR 3031 has a bit of tin in its ingredients, that is a decoppering agent. Not sure about 4350.
That is a possibility, I'll have to eliminate that variable next time I test this load. However, this barrel has shown an amazing ability to put the shots in the same place cold and clean, cold and dirty or hot and dirty. With the loads it likes, it just flat shoots.
I'm also a little perplexed in that both groups are a little low at 400 yards. The previous range session it was shooting a little high with the same bullet and the same velocity range same scope setting which is 31 clicks up from 100 yard zero. It was 99% humidity but I ran the numbers and it wouldn't account for that. JBM says 30.5 clicks up for the conditions when I shot this group. to center the group I would need to be at 34 clicks.
I would blame it on the scope. I'm not sure that the swaro`s click value/cost is as advertised ,after all that`s not a tactical scope which has a guarantee on the click value/cost...
Last edited by JPBlaser on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It's good to do a turret test on a new scope.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I have done a box test on this scope, it clicks true. I have another Z3 that doesn't do as well, the .25 MOA clicks are actually .22 MOA with hysteresis but this one is .25 MOA dead on.
Robert J Stokes

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

If the scope is Ok, and the data you feed the ballistic calculator is accurate I can`t think of what would be the reason for the low group..
Jordan

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Hurricane Irma has passed, it wiped out one of our ranges, extensive damage, and the 1000 yard range I shoot at the Manatee is under repairs, but a 100 yard range near me weathered the storm without too much damage and was open today. 6.5 Creedmoor Precision hunter clone work continued. I tried the IMR4350 load that shot so well at 400 yards and a half grain above and below that load. In each case it produced a four shot one hole group and one flyer 3/4 to 1.0 minutes away, so scratch that and back to the H4350 load of 42.1 grains and fine tune in .1 grain increments. 42.0 did real well so I decided to zero to this load using my new Swarovski Z8 1.7-13.3X42 rail mount scope. I think this load is a keeper. Here are some pics of the rifle and final target as I fine tuned the zero finishing with a 3 shot group on the lower right, all shot at 100 yards. I'm calling this good and loading 500 rounds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Definitely a nice rifle, I love the black additions, barrel looks like it might just be hunting accurate :lol:

Branco

Post by Branco »

Hello Robert and valued BlaserBuds,

I am completely new here and I am hunter from Europe and I am looking for guidance regarding long range hunting.

Several years ago I bought a R8 300WM as this seemed to me a very versatile caliber. In May this year I went to a shooting practice in Denmark for long range shooting and found out the twist rate of 1:11 does not stabilize the modern high BC bullets from Norma e.g.. Somewhat disappointed I decided to go for a new barrel with caliber 6.5mm Creedmoor in order to shoot long range as accurately as possible. I am still waiting for the barrel to be delivered but meanwhile found out the twist rate might not be as good as I wished for as it is 1:8.66. The Hornady 143gr ELD-X requires a twist rate of 1:8 as I understand.

I contacted Blaser about this and they have a story about this and it boils down to European hunters who wanting to shoot lighter or shorter bullets.

I understand you guys have enormous experience on this matter. Could you tell me how accurate the Hornady bullet will be at longer ranges (>600m) or do I have to go for lighter bullets?

Much obliged for you input.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I’m not sure why they told you it is 1:8.66, it is 1:8 and stabilizes the 143 ELDX and similar just fine. I’ve shot it out to 1,200 yards.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”