Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Precision Hunter 143 grain ELDX

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

stokesrj

Re: Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Precision Hunter 143 grain ELDX

Post by stokesrj »

So, it is pretty obvious now, with this data, that the Hornady factory Precision Hunter load is indeed H4350 and just a hotter lot than I have. It takes a full grain more of my lot to equal the factory powder. I'm not surprised by this and just out of curiosity I tested a new lot of Varget against the 8lb jug I also bought five years ago and found the same thing. The new lot with 39.0 grains behind the 123 A-Max produces velocities 76 fps faster than the old lot tested side by side. Oddly accuracy and point of impact at 100 yards is the same.
Tomorrow I'll make a trip to the Manatee range and verify that 42.1 grains of H4350 and 41.2 grains of IMR4350 are indeed clones of the Precision Hunter loading. If they check out then I'll load up 500 or so and call it done.
Robert J Stokes

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Bob, which Vihtavuori powder would you find as a substitute for H4350?
N150? N550?
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

According to Reload Swiss it is between Vihta550 and Vihta160.. Maybe you can try Reload swiss RS62 instead.

https://www.reload-swiss.com/en/media/e ... art_dt.pdf
Jordan

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Hmmm...not sure if I have access to Swiss powders...will have to check it out.

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

They should be available all over Europe.. Not sure if they are available anywhere else though.
Another option may be the Vectan powder - tubal 7000. They are french made,and should also be available around Europe.
They burn veeeeery cleanly. Maybe the cleanest I've seen. I may be wrong about that last statement,it may be the Lovex powders that burn veeery cleanly,either way,it was one of them two brands...

Best regards,
Jordan

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

icebug wrote:Bob, which Vihtavuori powder would you find as a substitute for H4350?
N150? N550?
N550 or N160 would be closest, I've shot a lot of N140 but it is closer to Varget. N550 is very temp unstable being a dual base powder, it is also very peaky. I've found it to provide excellent accuracy in a very narrow band, it easily moves out of that band with temperature swings. So I would go with N160 as it is more stable over temperatures and more accepting of charge weight variance for the 140 class of bullets 139-143. For the 120-123 grain class of bullets I would go with N140.
Robert J Stokes

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Thanks JP & Bob.
I've looked in QL and 160 seems quite bulky. I'm afraid I'll have compressed charges :roll:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Compressed loads can be your friend, nearly all loads with the very best ES, SD, and accuracy are compressed, including these 4350 loads for the Creedmoor. The only time it is a problem is if the compression is so severe that it bulges cases causing chambering resistance or the COL grows as the bullet is pushed forward by the compressed powder. Then you are too compressed.

The Varget load that shoots best in the .223 with the 77 SMK is so compressed that it makes you cringe at the sound of crunching powder as the bullet is seated. I've shot many thousands of these with no problems and excellent results on target.
Robert J Stokes

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Interesting...however, 110% case filling (as per QL) sounds a bit scary :roll:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

icebug wrote:Interesting...however, 110% case filling (as per QL) sounds a bit scary :roll:
The 223 loads I'm speaking of ar 120%, you never know until you give it a try.
Robert J Stokes

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

stokesrj wrote:
icebug wrote:Interesting...however, 110% case filling (as per QL) sounds a bit scary :roll:
The 223 loads I'm speaking of ar 120%, you never know until you give it a try.
I've compressed some loads a little but hadn't considered compressing that much. Do you and/or at what point would you consider crimping?
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Yes, I have and the only problems I've encountered is as described with my 9.3X64 with the case swelling and the solution was simple, just seat the bullet out a little longer. I only crimp for heavy recoiling calibers with heavy bullets or the .223 load for use in my AR's to help reduce bullet set back during the action cycle.
Robert J Stokes

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I wonder if Hornady hasn't changed their load a bit. I have two boxes of Hornady's 6.5 Creedmoor Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X Lot #316440. After reading all this I decided to disassemble one cartridge from each box.The results were 42.3 & 42.4 grains of powder and they have the green shine of Hodgdon's Extreme Powder. I shot them out of a Weatherby Vanguad w/24" barrel and recorded an average of 2683 fps.
IMG_1488.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

dchamp wrote:I wonder if Hornady hasn't changed their load a bit. I have two boxes of Hornady's 6.5 Creedmoor Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X Lot #316440. After reading all this I decided to disassemble one cartridge from each box.The results were 42.3 & 42.4 grains of powder and they have the green shine of Hodgdon's Extreme Powder. I shot them out of a Weatherby Vanguad w/24" barrel and recorded an average of 2683 fps.
IMG_1488.JPG
That pretty much matches what I think I know about factory loads. They tend to blend powders and adjust charge weights to a target velocity. What you measured would be very close to what the lot of H4350 I have would produce for velocity at that 42.3 grains. I'll verify tomorrow with a load of 42.1 grains which should produce right around 2625 from my Blaser barrel and probably right around 2680-2690 out of a 24" barrel. I'll let you know tomorrow how it works out.
Robert J Stokes

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

JPBlaser wrote: They burn veeeeery cleanly. Maybe the cleanest I've seen. I may be wrong about that last statement,it may be the Lovex powders that burn veeery cleanly,either way,it was one of them two brands...
JP, can you please try to find out which one did burn very clean for you?
Thanks!

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”