Sierra Introduces New 6.5 Bullet

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

Sierra Introduces New 6.5 Bullet

Post by Corjack »

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

SPEEDY

Re: Sierra Introduces New 6.5 Bullet

Post by SPEEDY »

If I ever find an LRS2 Swede barrel again when I have some spare coin, thems the bullets its throwing.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Gezz it's a slippery bugger isn't it.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Imagine a 200gn version, neck a 30/378wby down and you would have a 1000m PBR :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Ado

Post by Ado »

Hmm....with a 6.5x55 and Blaser Standard 1:8.5 twist for that calibre, I wonder how well it would stabilise? Sierra quote 1:7.5 to stabilise.

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Post by KZ45 »

Ado wrote:Hmm....with a 6.5x55 and Blaser Standard 1:8.5 twist for that calibre, I wonder how well it would stabilise? Sierra quote 1:7.5 to stabilise.
Interesting question, as it would apply to all of the Blaser .264 caliber barrels. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

KZ45 wrote:
Ado wrote:Hmm....with a 6.5x55 and Blaser Standard 1:8.5 twist for that calibre, I wonder how well it would stabilise? Sierra quote 1:7.5 to stabilise.
Interesting question, as it would apply to all of the Blaser .264 caliber barrels. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Not trying to be a downer, but I am thinking it is just not going to work in the Blaser 1-8.66 twist. Even the 1-8 twist of a 6.5x47 or the Creedmoor Blaser barrels may be marginal considering how short they are. I will be getting a sample to try in a 26 inch Creedmoor 1-8 sometime in November.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Neil Dewhurst

Post by Neil Dewhurst »

Ado wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:05 pm Hmm....with a 6.5x55 and Blaser Standard 1:8.5 twist for that calibre, I wonder how well it would stabilise? Sierra quote 1:7.5 to stabilise.
Sorry, but if you want to verify stability, you probably need to test under the pouring rain! Or snow (big wet flakes that stick...)

Any quality bullet will appear to be stable in clear dry air without obstacles. A properly stabilised bullet will show (only) marginal deviations according to perturbations encountered en-route (blade of grass, leaf or tree truck?). Over-stabilisation exists also, but that is a specific subject (nose-up attitude at extended range, etc.).

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”