PRS Wrap Up

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

PRS Wrap Up

Post by Corjack »

Shot my final match of the year Saturday . Did not finish well. zeroed the first stage. was at a range that had lots of targets out, shot 10 shots at the wrong set. spent the rest of the day hitting about 50%. the Longest stage prone I cleaned it. Centered 10 targets out to 800 yards. In July I was getting near 80% at matches, but declined since then. I am thinking it is me getting a tad burned out. Glad I will not shoot another until late March. The barrel I am shooting has been phenomenal. Got probably 600-700 more rounds before I switch it out.

Things I need to work on

1. Learn how to use my Kestrel better.
2. Practice the PRS skills stages

Mechanical things to do

1. Order a new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel 7.5 twist I want try the 150 Sierras. .720 BC might help a bit at the mathes the wind kicks my butt.

2. Going to order a 6Xc barrel as well. 7.5 twist. Math says the new Sierra 110 needs a 7.25 twist. but I know a few guys that have shot them all summer in a 7.5 with good results. If they do not work for me. Tubs 115 DTAKS are not expensive, I will try those.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Re: PRS Wrap Up

Post by pagosawingnut »

Well did you at least shoot them all in the X ring on the wrong target? That bites but it's part of the game.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Glad you enjoyed the PRS discipline enough to want to continue. That's a good sign. You might want to look into learning to read the wind by mirage which will tell you what the wind is doing all along the path to your target where the Kestrel only tells you what is going on at your shooting location. I have a great book on the subject if you would like to read it.
Robert J Stokes

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

stokesrj wrote:Glad you enjoyed the PRS discipline enough to want to continue. That's a good sign. You might want to look into learning to read the wind by mirage which will tell you what the wind is doing all along the path to your target where the Kestrel only tells you what is going on at your shooting location. I have a great book on the subject if you would like to read it.
I am interested in the title Bob. Club where I shoot is beset by terrible mirage in summer and learning to read the wind better in these conditions has been a challenge.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Great that you still enjoyed the PRS Corjack. I am just about to start and hope to have some fun and improve my shooting.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The name of the book is The Wind Book by Linda K Miller and Keith A Cunningham.
Robert J Stokes

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Many thanks Bob.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

stokesrj wrote:Glad you enjoyed the PRS discipline enough to want to continue. That's a good sign. You might want to look into learning to read the wind by mirage which will tell you what the wind is doing all along the path to your target where the Kestrel only tells you what is going on at your shooting location. I have a great book on the subject if you would like to read it.
Great point and it’s something I’ve been working on myself. If you can master mirage your laughing. I shot a small stag last Friday afternoon. It wasn’t too far just on 540m with +22 degree angle shot. I read the mirage and not worried about what the kestrel was saying and it was spot on. It was so handy and a great boost in confidence. I also found the time I saved not rechecking it as this guy sat behind a tree for over an hr. Makes you appreciate what these guys do in a combat situation waiting hrs for that one shot.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Corjack wrote:Shot my final match of the year Saturday . Did not finish well. zeroed the first stage. was at a range that had lots of targets out, shot 10 shots at the wrong set. spent the rest of the day hitting about 50%. the Longest stage prone I cleaned it. Centered 10 targets out to 800 yards. In July I was getting near 80% at matches, but declined since then. I am thinking it is me getting a tad burned out. Glad I will not shoot another until late March. The barrel I am shooting has been phenomenal. Got probably 600-700 more rounds before I switch it out.

Things I need to work on

1. Learn how to use my Kestrel better.
2. Practice the PRS skills stages

Mechanical things to do

1. Order a new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel 7.5 twist I want try the 150 Sierras. .720 BC might help a bit at the mathes the wind kicks my butt.

2. Going to order a 6Xc barrel as well. 7.5 twist. Math says the new Sierra 110 needs a 7.25 twist. but I know a few guys that have shot them all summer in a 7.5 with good results. If they do not work for me. Tubs 115 DTAKS are not expensive, I will try those.
Can be a lot like golf. Play a great game one minute and a manure one the next. But it’s all practice and getting a good routine down. Great effort and well done for giving it a go. Look forward to your next comp and your improvements. :clap: :clap: :clap:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

At the end of the day its about fun, if your not having fun then don't do it, if you are then it doesn't matter if you win or not.
1st year, bound to have teething problems, getting better is all about practicing, they say it takes 10,000 hours of practice to master a skill.

And thats why im a master baiter. :whistle:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

The one match that gave me the most trouble, reading mirage was not possible. The wind was blowing so bad, you had to watch out for trees, and small boulders rolling across the coarse.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Corjack wrote:The one match that gave me the most trouble, reading mirage was not possible. The wind was blowing so bad, you had to watch out for trees, and small boulders rolling across the coarse.
That’s the second thing you need to master as well, as it the best indication of what going on at the business end. I put it down lerning to be a good educated guess. The more you spend time behind the gun the better you get at it.

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

Do you use a Blaser in the PRS? I always thought a LRS2 in the right caliber would be a great option. With an Elmer barrel. Was intending to try it one day.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Discogodfather wrote:Do you use a Blaser in the PRS? I always thought a LRS2 in the right caliber would be a great option. With an Elmer barrel. Was intending to try it one day.
Not feasible. Must have a magazine holding at least ten rounds. And in the case of these Blaser LRS the magazines are scarce. Gotta have something you can get spares for.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”