7mm08 vs .308

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Re: 7mm08 vs .308

Post by secondtry »

Roger Lentle (and many Kiwi Hunters) would have vastly more experience with thar than me, BUT I can assure you that a 120g 7mm NBT out of a 7.08 can knock the snot out of winter coated West Coast bulls under 300yds. Might work further out but I haven't tried it. I have even encountered one guide cum gun nut who loaded 120BTs in 7RM for thar.

I think such a bald statement as 150gn minimum ignores the fact that "bullets ain't bullets".

And I also agree with Bob that a little extra weight in the barrel makes things much easier. With the lightweight actions and stocks now available, barrels can be a little heavier without creating a boat anchor of a rifle to carry.

Long throats are no use without a long mag.

I am neither big nor young and I like "em light, but a few ounces extra in the barrel works well. However I am not sufficiently enthusiastic about the benefits to rebarrel my lightweight 7.08 just for ballast.

I have a continuing hankering for a 308 with a shortish, heavyish barrel, although not as short and heavy as Bob's project. Sanity will probably (?) prevail and see me stick with what I have.

I would really like to hear some analytical commentary on using 168 ELDM from a 308 on game. That could tip me over the edge on a meatier 308. :) Perhaps Bob could have a chat to Nathan F on our behalf :D

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

A friend has used the 168 amax on red deer out to 700yds. It killed animals but not DRT. He has since switched to the 178 ELD-M and reckons it kills better. He is using it in a 24" Sako A7.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

SPEEDY wrote:I kind of like the 308win for several reasons, its not exciting or different, its just simple and it works.
It uses a huge slection of bullet weights that are right for any game or occasion.
Its easy to load for or find a factory load that works.
It works in short and long barrels.
Its a plain Jane and unexciting round but it does it all without a fuss.

Very good summation Speedy!

Joe
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Blasernovice wrote:A friend has used the 168 amax on red deer out to 700yds. It killed animals but not DRT. He has since switched to the 178 ELD-M and reckons it kills better. He is using it in a 24" Sako A7.
Velocity with the 178ELDM wouldn't be too flash, would it ?? It would certainly hang on to its speed well,that's for sure, although the BC is almost identical to the 168ELDM.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I wouldn't want a 178gn in a 308win, I've steered away from anything over a 168gn pill in the 308win.
The 168gn is as heavy as I go but the 130's are my favorite for lighter game. IMO the 150gn range is the perfect 308win bullet, its light enough to be flat and heavy enough for penetration on big heavy game.

Byt we all have our favourite projectiles, and different experiences.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Can't remember the velocity for 178gr. A lot of our hunting here is on the tips and shots are usually 300yds plus. The extra energy of the 178gr makes a difference at 600yds.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

secondtry wrote:
Blasernovice wrote:A friend has used the 168 amax on red deer out to 700yds. It killed animals but not DRT. He has since switched to the 178 ELD-M and reckons it kills better. He is using it in a 24" Sako A7.
Velocity with the 178ELDM wouldn't be too flash, would it ?? It would certainly hang on to its speed well,that's for sure, although the BC is almost identical to the 168ELDM.
Why do I get the feeling that getting the best out of that bullet in a .308 would really be a matter of having a long throat and or single loading.

Darizpe

Post by Darizpe »

What about barrel length? Is this an issue between this 2 calibers ?

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”