6xc

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

6xc

Post by Corjack »

Had a Blaser 6xc barrel for a few years now . Decided to try a 6mm for PRS this year. I have been collecting parts for the last three months .

Blue printed 700 body.
PTG fluted bolt small firing pin.
Badger bolt knob.
26 inch Criterian varmint contour 6xc barrel 7.5 twist.
APA little batturd brake.
KRG Bravo stock.
1# Triggertech Trigger. (Not in yet)

I have a Manners PRS 1 on order due in the end of March. I grabbed one of the new KRG Bravo stocks with the same backbone as my Whisky 3 chassis. 400.00 retail. I really like it. For a cheap stock I see no reason a fellow could not compete with it. When the Manners gets in, I will swap it out to a Creedmoor that I am also working on.

I got home from Dallas Safari Club show, with a bad cold. Layed around last couple days. Ran over to a buddy's, and used his hydraulic press and action wrench to install and headspace the barrel yesterday. Got home and mounted a scope, and kinda got it on paper at 100 yards. Shot about a dozen rounds through it, but could not help but notice it was shooting well. These were odd and ends of ammo loaded for the R8 Blaser.

Today I shot 9 rounds out of it before I got rained out today. 105 Berger Hybrids.
RL16,

37.3 grains
37.6 grains 2989 fps 13 es.
37.9 grains

The neck bushing I have is .268. It is not giving me much neck tension. Think I need a 267. The first load went a bit under .5, the second went into one hole, the third, went well under a half. Pictures are of the second and third groups. Got about 20 more Berger in this box, and then I will switch to 110 SMKs and 115 DTAKs.

Looks like it will be very cooperative. Kicks like a 22 magnum.
IMG_3755.JPG
IMG_3754.JPG
IMG_3753.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Re: 6xc

Post by pagosawingnut »

I'd be happy with that group!
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Looks like you got it sorted.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

It's looking good so far. What do you think is causing light neck tension, are your necks thinning or are your bullets a little undersized?
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

dchamp wrote:It's looking good so far. What do you think is causing light neck tension, are your necks thinning or are your bullets a little undersized?

Too big if a bushing.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Corjack wrote:
dchamp wrote:It's looking good so far. What do you think is causing light neck tension, are your necks thinning or are your bullets a little undersized?

Too big if a bushing.
Or, too thin of a neck wall thickness :) I'm running a .267 bushing with a neck wall thickness of .0127", Lapua brass. .267-(.0127X2)=.2416 which is a neck tension of .2416-.243=.0014". I find this just about right in my 6mm Norma BR. Neck tension will change over time as the brass work hardens and loses it's springiness. So I would hold on to that .268 bushing, you might need it in the future. I always, or at least should always, buy bushings in sets of three, what I calculate I need and one up and one down by .001".
Robert J Stokes

Osmos

Post by Osmos »

Nice rig! What freebore did you have at Blaser 6xc? Twist 8 or 7?

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Osmos wrote:Nice rig! What freebore did you have at Blaser 6xc? Twist 8 or 7?

No deal on the free bore. The Blaser R8 barrel is 1-8.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

110 SMK a couple days ago.
IMG_3776.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rick137

Post by rick137 »

Corjack:

Impressive. You may have a weapon system that could meet the All Day BlaserBuds 0.5MOA Challlenge. Show those dudes running 6mm Creeds.

Why the Triggertech trigger? To try or you have reasons to believe it is superior to the well established brands? On their website it is stated they guarantee the trigger during its lifetime.

"Our triggers come with a satisfaction guarantee and warranty for the product’s lifetime enabling you to buy with confidence."

I interpret that to mean their trigger, and in fact all triggers, do have a finite lifetime under harsh conditions such as in the PRS. Barrels have a finite lifetime. Does every component of a rifle, i.e. barrel,trigger, action, bottom metal and stock, have a finite lifetime determined by desired weapon system accuracy?
Paper is my game, steel the same.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Gee that's good shooting Corjack.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Just wait for your triggertech trigger. Chalk and cheese the premium triggers compared to factory. Just love the Jewel trigger on my Remington 700!

Joe
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Thas one thing about Remingtons, aftermarket parts like triggers are cheap to buy and easy to find.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Slowly but surely the 6xc project is coming along. Not sure the Sierra 110s will stabilize at low elevations, and longer ranges . Had a sample of uncharted 115 DTAC bullets. They are shooting pretty good. This morning shot 6 and had an average of 2947 fps ES of 13, and an SD of 4. Got a box of 500 in today that are boron coated. David Tubb says these will just about shoot themselves. Go up to a stage, throw the rifle down, then stand back. Easy peasy! Dave says you can go longer between cleanings with the coated bullets. Since I hardly ever clean a barrel, that suits me fine.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

There is something viscous looking about them, very aerodynamic looking.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”