Terrapin X

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

sav338
Meister der jagd

Terrapin X

Post by sav338 »

Hi all, Looks like the new terrapin is almost out. Euro optics are advertising it and Long Range Hunting are taking pre orders. As I read it it communicates with the kestrel and an app ?
What are your thoughts ?

Discogodfather

Re: Terrapin X

Post by Discogodfather »

I got the email too. My old Terrapin was awesome, I loved it. Problem is it just doesn't cut it for extremely long range work, and it won't really do .375 cheytac distances. It's a tough call, because the price is right. Stepping up to the PLR series is going to leave you permanently wallet damaged. The original Terrapin had no blue tooth or connectivity, but it worked honestly to 3000. Most of the junk on the market can't honestly do what they claim (I'd subtract 500m from their stats in real world). Vectonix is more like +500.

Even with the PLR series you are always going to be smitten with the Vector 4's and 23's. They are the real military option, and if you can find one (usually unofficially from a vet who is selling on ebay) they are the best of the best.

It kind of depends on your workflow and how you shoot. Most long distance people I know don't use them, but I absolutely love them. I love experimenting with targets of opportunity, and it's amazing for that. Terrapins still go on ebay for more than they originally sold for (I remember when they were $2500), so it's not like this isn't a huge development. I could easily see myself breaking down and getting one, at least as a backup to a friend's Vector IV I usually use.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Aaron at Precision Ordnance has around 5 coming in, which he is very excited about. I don’t think there would be anyone atm other than Aaron important them at this point in time.
https://www.facebook.com/precisionordnance/
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 am Aaron at Precision Ordnance has around 5 coming in, which he is very excited about. I don’t think there would be anyone atm other than Aaron important them at this point in time.
Thats good to know , cheers.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 am Aaron at Precision Ordnance has around 5 coming in, which he is very excited about. I don’t think there would be anyone atm other than Aaron important them at this point in time.
7530CCCA-614C-4546-81A4-52DEBE20102D.png
4C3CAA75-9D6D-477C-BB0C-E3745186579A.png
????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

I will ask him for you - he lives nearby.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

sav338 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:46 pm
7530CCCA-614C-4546-81A4-52DEBE20102D.png4C3CAA75-9D6D-477C-BB0C-E3745186579A.png

????
Why don’t you give him a call and sort it all out. Just Have your CC handy as he hates tyre kickers . :lol: :lol:

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

I would if I had the cash atm to buy one .

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Have spoken to Aaron and might be best if you call and get the info that he gave me.

Cheers dave

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Seen this today, seems to work great. But been mono I’m not over convinced in thick country you will pick deer up.

https://www.facebook.com/bollycomposite ... 571753459/

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Looks like an awesome unit. Just smashes out the distance and the data. Just wonder if the applied ballistics calculator on the Kestrel allows for powder temperature variation....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Joe338ST wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:08 pm Looks like an awesome unit. Just smashes out the distance and the data. Just wonder if the applied ballistics calculator on the Kestrel allows for powder temperature variation....
I think there a great unit but m not super convinced you will see deer in thick cover like the 15x56 or the 10x42 Binos. Be awesome in open areas, but been mono power 8x28 I think the X will struggle to pick animals up properly at extended ranges in thick bush. I could be wrong, but I remember from the old model it was difficult in thick cover. Everyone I knew that had one, sold it. The other issue is it’s more gear to carry and will always be the second option to the Binos. You will still need to mount the X on a tripod to get an accurate reading. So do you bring an extra tripod. QD mount for tripo is one answer but if your running Binos and a video camera it’s sure going to take up some valuable time. Will most likely end in a miss as you will be focusing on everything else and not taking the shot.

I think I’ll be having a real hard look at the new Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000. They will give you to about 800m quick dial reference. Then after that, it’s back to the program. You also have a nice pair of Binos for bushwalking and still capable of seeing an animal at rangers I can be confident to take a shot at. But it’s sure exciting times with precision hunting becomes more and more popular and companies building things to make the impossible, possible.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:11 pm
Joe338ST wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:08 pm Looks like an awesome unit. Just smashes out the distance and the data. Just wonder if the applied ballistics calculator on the Kestrel allows for powder temperature variation....
I think there a great unit but m not super convinced you will see deer in thick cover like the 15x56 or the 10x42 Binos. Be awesome in open areas, but been mono power 8x28 I think the X will struggle to pick animals up properly at extended ranges in thick bush. I could be wrong, but I remember from the old model it was difficult in thick cover. Everyone I knew that had one, sold it. The other issue is it’s more gear to carry and will always be the second option to the Binos. You will still need to mount the X on a tripod to get an accurate reading. So do you bring an extra tripod. QD mount for tripo is one answer but if your running Binos and a video camera it’s sure going to take up some valuable time. Will most likely end in a miss as you will be focusing on everything else and not taking the shot.

I think I’ll be having a real hard look at the new Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000. They will give you to about 800m quick dial reference. Then after that, it’s back to the program. You also have a nice pair of Binos for bushwalking and still capable of seeing an animal at rangers I can be confident to take a shot at. But it’s sure exciting times with precision hunting becomes more and more popular and companies building things to make the impossible, possible.
I totally agree
But speaking to the Leica rep there is only at this stage 10 coming into the country and they have 60 on pre order list already.
And he hasn’t got a clue when more will be available.
I would also like to see if they actually perform as advertised.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Interesting. Was told Thursday mid July the rep said . Time will tell. There not cheap coming in at around $4500aud. Can’t see too many guys going nuts over them at that price :lol: :lol:

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:57 am Interesting. Was told Thursday mid July the rep said . Time will tell. There not cheap coming in at around $4500aud. Can’t see too many guys going nuts over them at that price :lol: :lol:
Yep your right. Rick did say the first shipment (x10) was mid July . He was hoping to have a display for the Sydney shot show.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”