Scope for LR 308

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

secondtry
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1481
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: Victoria Australia

Re: Scope for LR 308

Post by secondtry » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:46 pm

We are certainly spoilt for choice. I hadn't considered the Vortex thanks Joe. Unfortunately the reticle is too fussy for me.

Zeiss Conquest V4 4/16 is appealing. Can't get a simple reticle, but the simplest one has very straight forward hash marks that don't seem distracting. I have found Zeiss adjustments to be accurate and repeatable, but not sure in this application.

I'm unconvinced as to the value of hash marks, particularly if hunting alone. To me, for hash marks to be useful, a few things are required :

1/ The hash marks and the turrets must both be calibrated the same way.
2/ The fall of shot must be visible.
3/ A spotter, if you have one, should have the same hash marks, with the same calibration, in their optic.
4/ Unless the scope is FFP, the shooter must ensure that the scope is set at the correct power for the hash calibration to be accurate. Just so easy to screw up on this one.

If the fall of shot is known, but the spotting optic has no hash marks, I expect most would usually opt for a quick hold off rather than fiddling with turrets.

If the fall of shot is not known (and its a miss) well then you are up the proverbial, whether you have a spotter, hash marks, or not.

Happy to be corrected by those with more knowledge of this stuff than me



secondtry
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1481
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: Victoria Australia

Re: Scope for LR 308

Post by secondtry » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Question for Bob.

Bob I just re read your post on the SHV 4/15/50 FFP and did a bit more web research.

I think my knee jerk reaction to the 30oz weight clouded my vision on a couple of other points, both of which were covered in your post. That is that the scope is FFP which would make the hash marks very useful (to me) for any wind hold off. Also that small illuminated cross in the centre would be very useful without the full tacticool Christmas tree of a fully lit reticle.

Also this project, even with a 24" No4 barrel is looking like coming in at an ounce or two over 7lbs bare, so some weight in the scope shouldn't be a problem.

After all that, here's the question: Have you done any more with the scope since your post, or do you have any other thoughts on it ?

Darizpe
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:55 am
Location: Texas

Re: Scope for LR 308

Post by Darizpe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:24 pm

The Z5 in 3*18*44 one inch is only 15.9 oz

User avatar
stokesrj
Moderator
Posts: 4976
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:41 pm
Location: USA
Location: Mesa AZ, USA

Re: Scope for LR 308

Post by stokesrj » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:02 pm

secondtry wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:47 pm
Question for Bob.
Have you done any more with the scope since your post, or do you have any other thoughts on it ?
Yes, I've done quite a bit of work with it in Arizona over the last few weeks. The more I use it the more I like it. I was shooting with it out to 800 yards, just plinking with my 308 at various rocks and yucca plants (century plants) and was able to hit the stalks which are 2-4" in diameter regularly at 600-800 yards. I don't think it is an all around scope, like the higher end Swarovski and Zeiss variables for everything from driven hunts to modest range. The reticle is too fine at 4X to be useful unless the center cross is lit. But for long range it is proving to be quite capable. Despite the lower end badging "SHV" it is crystal clear and the turrets track just like the NXS which is in my opinion much better than the Swarovski, or Zeiss or myriad of other mid range Leupold, Burris, Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex and so on. I know that some of those brands have very capable turrets at the high end, but then they also weigh 30 oz or more.
I really like being able to switch back and forth from using the reticle for hold over and off or using the turret to dial in the hold over and just use the reticle for wind holds. Mostly I'm using it at max magnification for long range in which case the first focal plane loses it's advantage. But occasionally mirage doesn't allow more than 8-10X at which times the first focal plane reticle pays off.
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1481
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: Victoria Australia

Re: Scope for LR 308

Post by secondtry » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback Bob. The fine reticle would spoil it for me on this rifle as I like to be able to hunt on my way to wherever I'm going.

For purely long range work, it would be hard to to beat that SHV 4/15/50

After reading your first post, I have fitted a 3.5/10/42 SHV to my 7.08. This has a No 4 reticle, but is much finer than the traditional No4s hat were in use prior to illumination becoming widely available. I would find the windage hash marks useful, I think, but It seems that most of the LR reticles have hash marks everywhere, which is simply too cluttered for my taste and use.

Reticles are always a compromise. We are fortunate to have so many choices :D

Probably going to put a little March on the 308, as I hope to use the 308 at longer ranges and would like a little more than 10x.

thechamp
Administrator
Posts: 8452
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:25 pm
Location: San Antonio
Location: San Antonio, Tx.

Re: Scope for LR 308

Post by thechamp » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:23 am

Darizpe wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:24 pm
The Z5 in 3*18*44 one inch is only 15.9 oz
The Z5 3-18x44 is probably one of the best overall hunting scopes on the market. The first ones had super thin reticles which were hard to see. They corrected that within a couple of years and added the 'W" feature to the scope. The amount of power and quality glass belies it's super light weight. Only thing missing on the Z5 series is the rail mount and illumination and it would be hard to beat.

User avatar
stokesrj
Moderator
Posts: 4976
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:41 pm
Location: USA
Location: Mesa AZ, USA

Re: Scope for LR 308

Post by stokesrj » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:33 am

secondtry wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:12 pm
Thanks for the feedback Bob. The fine reticle would spoil it for me on this rifle as I like to be able to hunt on my way to wherever I'm going.

For purely long range work, it would be hard to to beat that SHV 4/15/50

After reading your first post, I have fitted a 3.5/10/42 SHV to my 7.08. This has a No 4 reticle, but is much finer than the traditional No4s hat were in use prior to illumination becoming widely available. I would find the windage hash marks useful, I think, but It seems that most of the LR reticles have hash marks everywhere, which is simply too cluttered for my taste and use.

Reticles are always a compromise. We are fortunate to have so many choices :D

Probably going to put a little March on the 308, as I hope to use the 308 at longer ranges and would like a little more than 10x.
The #4 reticle is still thick, the #4A is thin. Are you sure you don't have a 4A? March scopes are of course very good so not suggesting you change your plans.
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1481
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: Victoria Australia

Re: Scope for LR 308

Post by secondtry » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 pm

stokesrj wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:33 am
secondtry wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:12 pm
Thanks for the feedback Bob. The fine reticle would spoil it for me on this rifle as I like to be able to hunt on my way to wherever I'm going.

For purely long range work, it would be hard to to beat that SHV 4/15/50

After reading your first post, I have fitted a 3.5/10/42 SHV to my 7.08. This has a No 4 reticle, but is much finer than the traditional No4s hat were in use prior to illumination becoming widely available. I would find the windage hash marks useful, I think, but It seems that most of the LR reticles have hash marks everywhere, which is simply too cluttered for my taste and use.

Reticles are always a compromise. We are fortunate to have so many choices :D

Probably going to put a little March on the 308, as I hope to use the 308 at longer ranges and would like a little more than 10x.
The #4 reticle is still thick, the #4A is thin. Are you sure you don't have a 4A? March scopes are of course very good so not suggesting you change your plans.
Thanks Bob. You are correct - Nightforce describe it as a 4A, but it is very thin when compared the 4A in the Swaro Z3s. I am optimistic hat it will work well on the 7.08. It certainly adds some weight, which may be helpful to steadyness.

The March 2.5/25/42 will have their DE plex, one of which I have had in the past and was very impressed with. Very usable up close, and it seemed to obscure very little at 600/700 yards.

Post Reply

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”