Terminal Performance

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

SPEEDY

Re: Terminal Performance

Post by SPEEDY »

It's about picking your bullet to suit your shot, I like a boiler room shot with a big reasonably destructive bullet, the 165gn partition is a winner and so is the 168gn Amax for that matter.
I find if you do that then be it a pig or a deer then they don't run far if at all, and you get the cleanest kill in my book.
Now that won't work for a Texas heart shot or heavy shoulder bone shot. But the bullets that work good on those shots dont perform nearly so well on the boiler room shot.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I was out today doing some shooting in the desert with my R8 308 16.5” suppressed and found a place I could set up a life size deer target and shoot across a wash. I did ‘t range it until I had finished setting up and returned to my shooting position. I thought it was much further but the range finder only read 467 yards.
There was about a 11 mph 1/4 value wind blowing left to right. I cranked in 27 clicks on the vertical turret of my Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 and held about 1.5 minutes into the wind. I took three shots but couldn’t see any hits with my ATX at max magnification so hiked up and down and up and down several washes to get to my target.
Along the way I riled up a little western diamondback that was in a foul mood. He must have stuck at me a half dozen times before I put a stop to that with my little Glock 42 380 auto I always carry in its Kydex pocket holster. It hit him center of the head and broke his neck with the one shot as he was coiled for yet another stike. I enjoy the way this little gun shoots.
FABE7BE1-F361-4A66-9A90-3B5A13BD3897.jpeg
When all that was over with I made it to the target and found that my wind call was just about right on with a .7MOA group center lungs.
E87D9913-A805-4494-8541-D199DED37912.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Dead rattlesnakes are good rattlesnakes. Nice shooting on the 308 'shorty'.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I just wish we could kill snakes, and carry a handgun.

But unfortunately I live in a country that's giving more rights to animals then people and where a major cities trans can be shut down because some wanker was frightened of a busker with a Digidoo in a rucksack.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

SPEEDY wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:19 am I just wish we could kill snakes, and carry a handgun.

But unfortunately I live in a country that's giving more rights to animals then people and where a major cities trans can be shut down because some wanker was frightened of a busker with a Digidoo in a rucksack.
Since when has it been illegal to wield a shovel in Oz? :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

When it's wielded at any native animinal, including badly injured wildlife.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I guess thats why you see all the snake rescuers on TV.... a good smack with a long handled posthole shovel would be a better choice.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Perdizhunter

Post by Perdizhunter »

Very Nice Group size !!!

“Read” the wind is more than Science .... it is skill !!!
Congratulations !

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Perdizhunter wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:22 am Very Nice Group size !!!

“Read” the wind is more than Science .... it is skill !!!
Congratulations !
It definitely is at that, 3 dead deer for sure, and those desert winds are so hard to judge.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Bob, have you tried the Nosler Accubond Long Range in your Tests ? I know the regular Accubond was a disappointment but the long range version can expand down to 1300fps and I was wondering if that would change the results. Thanks.
Matt

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I did test the 6.5 mm 142 grain and it did pretty well at 3400 FPS and 1800 FPS but I couldn’t get it to expand at 1300 FPS. I didn’t try between 1300 and 1800 but the floor is probably not to far above 1300.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

For your tests with the 308 was there a reason you picked the regular Accubonds over the long range version?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I was just using bullets I had on hand
Robert J Stokes

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:50 pm Hornady #30452 .308" 165 Super Shock Tip.

Diameter - .308"
Weight - 165 grains
Length - 1.275"
Base to Ogive - .655"
G1 BC - .447
Jacket Thickness - .040"- .020"
Tip Diameter - .130"
Hollow Point Diameter - .009"

2600 FPS
Penetration - 27"
Retained Weight - 124.7 grains
Retained Weight % - 75.6%
Core Separation - No

2200 FPS
Penetration - 24.25"
Retained Weight - 110.9 grains
Retained Weight % - 67.2%
Core Separation - Yes

1800 FPS
Penetration -25.5"
Retained Weight - 72.9 grains
Retained Weight % - 44.2%
Core Separation - Yes

fullsizeoutput_3ccd.jpeg

The Hornady 165 SST performed well at all ranges tested creating hi shock and adequate penetration to exit a medium game animal on a broadside shot. The interlock ring failed to retain the core at both 2200 fps and 1800 fps, it is just too small, but the jacket did protect the core until it had decelerated to a speed the core could stay together and continue to penetrate sufficiently to provide an exit wound.
I’ve got a box of the 150g SST super performance factory loads to try to replace some 150g Deer Season Winchester loads as the latter punches through if you only hit one foreleg. Will be interesting though as I think it’s actually a reflection of my shots being too close leading to over penetration :think:

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”