Muzzle Loading Rifle capable of cleanly taking a deer at 300 yards

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

stokesrj

Muzzle Loading Rifle capable of cleanly taking a deer at 300 yards

Post by stokesrj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 pm

What Does It Take?
To cleanly and humanely take deer sized game out to 300 yards with a muzzleloading rifle.
fullsizeoutput_3ce2.jpeg
Equipment
There are many capable muzzle loading rifles available today. Many will do this job, but not many combinations work really well together and finding the right combination can be a challenge, a costly challenge in terms of time, energy and hard earned dollars. Fortunately the work is already done and we will discuss one system that is the right combination of rifle, sight, powder, primer and bullet that work in unison and make achieving the goal certain and repeatable. The system chosen here, works, can be readily obtained and is well balanced in terms of accuracy, ease of loading, ease of shooting, and ease of maintaining. You can choose alternative equipment but be aware that testing components to find the combination of components that will work well together can easily cost more than the gun and scope. With this system much of the trial and error has already been completed for you.
CVA Accura MR.jpg
Rifle - CVA Accura MR, chosen for its balance and clean handling characteristics, accurate Bergara barrel, excellent 3 lb trigger, rock solid scope mounting system and hand removable breech plug.
UltSlam3-9x40.jpg
leupold-sabot-ballistic-reticle-holdover-points.png
Sight - Leupold Super Slam 3-9X42 with SABR reticle which has 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 yard aiming points yet is uncluttered, simple and clean.
Blackhorn 209.png
Blackhorn 209 tubes.png
Powder - Blackhorn 209 , preweighed and stored in tubes. There are others powders that work well, are perhaps more convenient but also foul more and require special solvents and rust preventative solutions. Regular oil based solvents work with BH 209 and regular gun oil is used to prevent rust.
CCI 209 Magnum.jpg
Primer -CCI 209 magnum for dependable ignition under adverse conditions.
PowerBelt 50cal300gr.jpg
Bullet - PowerBelt 300 grain AeroLite which is not the most accurate bullet tested but is accurate enough and easy to load. It produces an average of 1802 fps with very low extreme spreads and standard deviations when the weighed 80 grain charge of BH209 is used. This is as fast as this bullet should be driven to avoid over expansion and fragmentation if used at short range. This concern is due to this bullets large hollow point behind the polymer tip. This large hollow point is also what makes it work at the 1,400 fps, impact velocity of 300 yards. Many other bullets tested failed to expand at the speed they would be going at 300 yards.

Perhaps this will help someone considering using a muzzleloading rifle to take advantage of the special seasons offered at premium times to hunt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Re: Muzzle Loading Rifle capable of cleanly taking a deer at 300 yards

Post by SPEEDY » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:27 am

That's pretty damn nice, moves front stuffing a whole nother level.
I'd love to see a modern polygonal rifled gun and what it could do.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:20 am

The smokeless muzzleloaders, like my NULA, and especially the ones being built using Remington 700mz action can accomplish the stated goal and are a lot easier to clean.

Archerfish

Post by Archerfish » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Check out the Hankins Custom Rifles videos on Youtube. They will give you an idea of how amazingly accurate a smokeless muzzle loader can be.
Archerfish
NRA Life Endowment Member

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Yes, the smokeless muzzleloading rifles would be more capable and more easily cleaned but they aren't legal in most of the premium hunts I'm interested in, and specifically not in my adopted home state of Arizona. They can be used in the regular rifle hunt but the only reason I would even consider and have used a muzzle loader is because of the better draw odds for the premium western hunts. Than't also why I would be interested in 300 yard performance for most eastern and midwestern whitetail hunting I'm interested in doesn't really require 300 yard performance as most shots are under 50 yards.
Also the Blackhorn 209 is pretty easy to clean compared to Pyrodex, 777, IMR Whitehots, Alliant MZ and real black powder. But I would still be using the smokeless if I could.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 am

Bob,
Great work. I have a similar set up for my H&R with a custom smokeless barrel (I can use black powder in it also) but I have not tried those bullets. I think I need to give them a try.
Matt

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:21 am

Bob from the look of it you sure can get a fair bit of range out of Muzzleloader, very impressive.

https://youtu.be/08j4u6tL0RU
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:37 am

That long range front stuffing is awesome, but it's not quite the spirit of muzzleloading to me but it's still damn impressive.
I like the more classic style, if not the full traditional rifles.
That CVA is about as modern as I would like go, but it's still a great challenge. I like the real BP smell there's something about it that just wakes you up and makes you smile. :handgestures-thumbup:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:55 am

I was alway fascinated as a kid with the Kentucky Long Rifle. It doesn't seem far now, but in its day it had the ability to punch over 200 yards and be extremely effective. When you really sit back and think about it. that was amazing .
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:54 am

Front stuffer with open sights, you would've thought they were pretty useless when you think about Napoleonic tactics where the only way they were effective was with volly fire.
But Washington showed how effective they could be with guerilla tactics and marksman.
To beat the super power of their day with mostly hunting rifles, no real standing army only local Militia.
They even had to make cannons by melting down church bells.
While the Brown Bess was the most common, not only as a military but as a civilian firearm although in the civilian case the fact it could be a shotgun or a rifle made it a great investment for poor civilians, the more expensive Pennsylvania long rifle proved a deciding weapon in a lot of battles.
Being able to target officers and artillery at distance was a major advantage to the US forces and was quite possibly the deciding factor in the war along with hit and run tactics on supply lines.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”