6x47 Lapua

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

6x47 Lapua

Post by Corjack »

I have had a bit of an issue with 6xc brass lately. Norma has been good to me, but is still a bit soft for my liking, and they developed a fat neck issue after 7-8 firings, requiring me to neck ream 500+ brass. Neck reaming rates right up there with cleaning out a sewage lagoon with a 5 gallon bucket.

Alpha brass is good, but only works in xc2 chambers.

Peterson brass is also good, but three runs of brass have been made to different specs. Not Peterson fault. They were just doing what they are told to do.

I may ultimately go back to the 6xc, but until Peterson has a couple runs that are the same specs , I decided to order a 6x47 lapua barrel. Brass is easy to make from from 6.5x47 Lapua brass, and Peterson will have brass available, June or July specifically made 6x47, and with out the constraints of the outside influence they have suffered from the 6xc.

Will probably wait until I have fried a 6xc barrel to install it, sometime about first of September. I have a couple important matches , end of September , and October. Give me time to develop loads and break in. Also may be able to use Varget instead if H4350. Varget users in this case have reported barrel life of 3000 rounds, and I would be happy with 2500, vs the 1800 to 2100 I have experienced with the 6xc.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

7x57
Meister der jagd

Re: 6x47 Lapua

Post by 7x57 »

I had a similar conundrum when building my 6mm. Brass choice was a significant factor as I wanted to use Lapua. Toss up between 6x47 and a Dasher. Went with the Dasher in the end but either would have been a good choice.

Scotch_egg

Post by Scotch_egg »

Corjack wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:48 am I have had a bit of an issue with 6xc brass lately. Norma has been good to me, but is still a bit soft for my liking, and they developed a fat neck issue after 7-8 firings, requiring me to neck ream 500+ brass. Neck reaming rates right up there with cleaning out a sewage lagoon with a 5 gallon bucket.

Peterson brass is also good, but three runs of brass have been made to different specs. Not Peterson fault. They were just doing what they are told to do.

I may ultimately go back to the 6xc, but until Peterson has a couple runs that are the same specs , I decided to order a 6x47 lapua barrel. Brass is easy to make from from 6.5x47 Lapua brass, and Peterson will have brass available, June or July specifically made 6x47, and with out the constraints of the outside influence they have suffered from the 6xc.

Will probably wait until I have fried a 6xc barrel to install it, sometime about first of September. I have a couple important matches , end of September , and October. Give me time to develop loads and break in. Also may be able to use Varget instead if H4350. Varget users in this case have reported barrel life of 3000 rounds, and I would be happy with 2500, vs the 1800 to 2100 I have experienced with the 6xc.
This is the first I have heard about Peterson doing 6X47 brass. Just shows how popular the 6mm has become.

What bullet are you running?

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Scotch_egg wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:48 pm
Corjack wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:48 am I have had a bit of an issue with 6xc brass lately. Norma has been good to me, but is still a bit soft for my liking, and they developed a fat neck issue after 7-8 firings, requiring me to neck ream 500+ brass. Neck reaming rates right up there with cleaning out a sewage lagoon with a 5 gallon bucket.

This is the first I have heard about Peterson doing 6X47 brass. Just shows how popular the 6mm has become.

What bullet are you running?
Well, I recently tried Berger 105 Hybrids. They are doing well in two barrels that are 75% worn out. May just order a couple thou of those and give them a good shake.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”