Longer Range Setup

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

MM
Meister der jagd

Re: Longer Range Setup

Post by MM »

My hearing is already damaged and I am trying to save what is left,so I always have my soundguard hearing plugs in. I put them in first thing in the morning and don’t take them out until I am done for the day. Even with hearing protection the quieter the better.

JustLearning

Post by JustLearning »

Perhaps you have figured out your bullet selection already but thought I would throw in a bit food for thought here on it.

I see 200+ ELDx being mentioned but also a fear of stability and also the 130 grain TTSX which would stabilize but is very light and not great BC. Best middle ground I would suggest to solve all those problems is the 175gr Barnes LRX. It offers a G1 BC of .508 which being all copper will be about as long as a 200gr ELDx and is confirmed to stabilize in a 1:11 twist rate. The LRX also offers several advantages over the ELDx and TTSX in the fact that it is designed to reliably expand as low as 1600 fps compared to the 1900 of the TTSX and the sometimes finicky 1800-2000 fps of the ELDx.

There is no real downside, more velocity than the ELDx, better BC than the TTSX and more reliable expansion at longer ranges than either one.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

And then we chuck in Berger bullets. still to date nothing comes close, can't understand why but bergers are still the game changer.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Just a side note, but I was playing with my 300 Win Mag R8 this week using the Federal Premium loading of the Berger 185 grain Hybrid hunter at 1,000 yards. I was shocked, it was producing 4"-5" groups at that distance. This was with my R8 standard profile barrel and Swaro Z8i 1.7-13.3X42. I ran out of clicks because I have a 100 yard zero so had to hold on top line of target but accuracy was phenomenal in my opinion. They don't load that bullet in the 300 Weatherby but you could load it yourself. My R8 doesn't seem to like the heavier Hornady bullets for some reason, 1.5 MOA is the norm. I think the 300 Weatherby is a better cartridge than the 300 Win Mag by design but it isn't as popular so not as many factory loads available.

I've used the 130 grain TTSX and TSX from my 30-06 but not my 300 Wby or Win Mag and it is a phenomenal killer when impact velocities are very high but I would not trust it at long range. Something like the Berger will give you much quicker kills when impact velocities are below 2600 fps.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

My barrel is all set to go now so my next project is developing a load for it. I fired off an order to Midway for some 180 Nosler Partitions and Hornady 178 ELDX bullets. While I was at it I also ordered an RCBS Summit Press and an RCBS Chargemaster lite I hope they both workout to be upgrades to what I have been using. I am going to order some of the Barnes LRX bullets to try and some of the Berger’s Bob Referenced if I can figure out which hunting bullet Elite, Classic or VLD?
This is a longer range set up (for me) not a true long range build 600-1000 yards. That is beyond my skill level and availability to access an area to even shoot that far to practice. So for me longer range falls to 300-500 yards possibly stretching that to 600. Looking at ballistics programs and using the 180 grain Partition (lowest BC of bullets selected) at 3000 MV at 550 yards it is still traveling at 2000fps and it hits 1800 FPS at 675 yards so I think any of the bullets should work at my long ranges and hopefully won’t blow up at close range. If Nosler made a tipped Partition it would be the perfect bullet for me.
I am still trying to figure out the scope but I have some great suggestions from everyone.
Thanks for the bullet suggestions I am going to try some bullets I normally wouldn’t.
Matt

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

You can't go wrong with VLD Hunting or ELITE HUNTER Berger bullets. They don't mind to jump to the lands but if you're looking at the heavier and hence longer projectiles you may need to load them further into the bullet case to keep to SAAMI specs and hence enable magazine feeding...185 grain VLD hunting may be a good choice to start with.
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

K95 I don't have to worry about magazine length, but thanks for the info.
Matt

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

MM wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:58 pm K95 I don't have to worry about magazine length, but thanks for the info.
Matt
That makes good sense :doh: :doh: :doh:
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

D6163DB3-7CE6-4A6A-9C24-04E81CC23C4A.jpeg
It has been awhile since I updated this but I have been working on it. The big ugly brake is gone and the new Via’s brake has been added. I think it looks pretty good, works well and while I don’t like muzzle brakes I am happy with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

03FFED45-D122-4178-94E3-EEDBAACA441A.jpeg
I also got a good deal on an older rail scope with the TDS reticle, and after practicing with it I felt confident with it out to 478 yards. Why 478 yards? Longest range I could find to shoot. I may want to try a scope with a BT but I have a ton of questions about them. So I have:
The barell.300 Weatherby Mag
Vias brake
Scope? Still working on it, but until here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I love those breaks, reduces recoil good without being loud enough to make your head implode.
I had on on my 375H&H,made it recoil like a 308win and I could shoot it without muffs on when stalking.

Although I definitely put them in when spotlighting or load testing.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”