ELR Rimfire

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

stokesrj

ELR Rimfire

Post by stokesrj »

Anyone here shooting this discipline? It is growing by leaps and bounds at my local club and I was amazed this weekend to see some were able to hit 12"X12" steel plates at 500 yards with a 22LR. None of my Anshutz are capable but several with Vudoo V22 rifles were able to do so reliably if the wind cooperated. I was so impressed I promptly ordered a V22 with;
20″ MTU profile Bartline barrel
Foundation Genesis stock with a dark distressed finish
TriggerTech Diamond Pro Curved Trigger
30 MOA scope base
Large Bolt Knob
5000 rounds of Lapua CenterX lot selected to this specific gun at Lapua USA which is 1.5 miles from my house.

Now to decide what optic to put on it. I have several Nightforce scopes that would work but am thinking of something else. Anyone with experience or insight? There were a lot of US optics, Nightforce ATACR, and a few S&B, Kahles, and then just a whole lot of Athalons which I was surprised to see as I had considered them lower tier but thew were holding their own.

Here is a pic of the rifle just as I ordered it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Re: ELR Rimfire

Post by SPEEDY »

That's a big mag on a 22lr, but it's a great looking gun all the same.
I like to get into a 22lr discipline, maybe later on as it will be a great way to get the wife interested.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Yea. The Mag is big, AICS big, but it is also unique, the rounds are controlled feed directly into the chamber with no feed ramp to mar the bullet.
Robert J Stokes

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

That’s a serious rifle 👍

Rod

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Fellow at our club runs one and participates in ELR events. Great rifle and superbly accurate. He has it topped with a S&B.

Sigsako

Post by Sigsako »

I’ve been “tubing” a lot of ELR .22 stuff if late, it sure is getting popular over your neck of the woods. A fair bit of stuff fro Voodoo as well. They are certainly serious about their 22 builds!
For scopes, I’m very biased towards the Kahles 624i. I can’t fault mine. When purchased I was comparing it to a S&B PMII and went with the 624i. No regrets.

I’ll be following your progress with interest.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

When I was watching the cattle on the road during a big drought I would shoot the pea rifle out the window at crows out to about 350m.
I used to think of that as ELR, wish I had one of them way back when.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

It is really interesting to me because 22s that can be very accurate at 50 yards, one hole accurate, completely fall apart at 300 yards. Somehow, these Vudoo rifles maintain their accuracy at long range. 500 yards with a 22LR supposedly simulates 2000 yards with a center fire as far as trajectory and wind drift go.
Robert J Stokes

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

From all I have heard and read the Vudoos are the bee’s knees of rimfire rifles. Another blaserbud brought them to my attention about a year ago and I got very close to ordering one but never did.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

stokesrj wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:57 pm It is really interesting to me because 22s that can be very accurate at 50 yards, one hole accurate, completely fall apart at 300 yards. Somehow, these Vudoo rifles maintain their accuracy at long range. 500 yards with a 22LR supposedly simulates 2000 yards with a center fire as far as trajectory and wind drift go.
My furtherest rimfire kill was at 330-340 yards on a crow.
Sitting on the tractor with it running and one foot on the break, down hill in a gusty strong wind.
I lined him up, aimed at my guestimate hold over based on shooting at rocks and stumps, gave a little extra Kentucky windage and squeezed of a shot.
Well at that range shooting subsonics it heard the shot, jumped a foot to the left and right into the bullet. :lol:

I only know the range because I paced it out a dozen times to be sure. Years later I measured it with a laser and it was 15 yards more then I paced.

I always say I'd rather be lucky then good. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I just found a survey where Vudoo Gunworks asked the very question that I was asking about optics selection from their FaceBook community. They asked members to select the optic they would like to put on their dream build regardless of cost. The following was the talley.
Nightforce Optics ATCR = 29
Vortex Optics Razor HD = 18
Kahles Shooting K525i = 14
Leupold Optics Mark 5 = 8
Tangent Theda = 7
After researching it fully I decided to go with the ATCR also, not that some of the others aren't top notch too, but the ATCR is also capable of paralax adjustment down to 10 yards which is important in some of the NLR matches because they have .25" targets at very close range, I personally like the Kahles K525i a little better but it won't focus that close but I would probably choose it for a centerfire build. The tangent Theda is $4,000 and I don't see the value.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

They left out Schmidt and bender, it would be PM II for me.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

It’s actually a PMii on the gun in the pic above and it was in the choices but none voted for it. Probably a good portion of the shooters use a PMii on their centerfire guns. So, I’m not sure why the others are favored for these ELR matches.
Robert J Stokes

trazman
Meister der jagd

Post by trazman »

Actually on the pic above is a US Optics. Really strange that no one voted for a Schmidt Bender PMII. I still find them the best tactical scope. However if 10yard focus is a must then it is normal. I also have now a Kahles K525i and it is a really good scope. Really comparable to a S&B. However I still prefer the S&B.

Bob, do you think that the Blaser .22lr kit is capable for ELR?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

trazman wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:57 am Actually on the pic above is a US Optics. Really strange that no one voted for a Schmidt Bender PMII. I still find them the best tactical scope. However if 10yard focus is a must then it is normal. I also have now a Kahles K525i and it is a really good scope. Really comparable to a S&B. However I still prefer the S&B.

Bob, do you think that the Blaser .22lr kit is capable for ELR?
My R8 will be competitive in some matches but not others. It does pretty well out to 300 yards and sometimes 400 yards but will not make the 500 and 600 yard targets with consistency. The main reason for this is that it shoots Eley Match best, and one lot of it superbly, but the shape of that bullet (EPS) is not friendly to those ranges. The Vudoo shooting Lapua Center X shoots better at those ranges. The R8 is not competitive in NRL22 because of magazine capacity.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”