October red stag spiker hunt

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

trazman
Meister der jagd

October red stag spiker hunt

Post by trazman »

I didn't have the chance to hunt a mature stag this year, however also hunting a spiker can be interesting. Especially if all of them have too big trophies. Where I hunt 25cm is the limit of the horn length. I have been out quite a lot and I was able to spot a lot of animals. Mostly mature stags and cows with calfs. On this morning I went to a nice spot where you can easily scope the mountains. Immediately I spotted a big group of red deer. I tried to stalk them, but one of the cows spotted me and started moving into the woods. It is really hard to move if there is no cover. I decided to go sideways on a nice spot from where I could go in a prone position and look better at the herd. Immediately when I got on my rifle scope I noticed two spiders. Both shooters. I measured the distanced adjusted the drop and waited for one of them to give me the chance for a clean shot. Soon one of them turned sideways and I squeezed the trigger. The stag just dropped. 6,5x55 and 143gr Hornady eldx did the job perfectly. The bullet entered behind the shoulder and touched the spine which caused the stag to drop instantly. I would say perfect shot. I did some dragging and some heavy weight lifting to put the stag on my jeep, but it was well worth it. A really nice morning.
IMG_8836 2.jpg
IMG_8837 2.jpg
IMG_7629.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Re: October red stag spiker hunt

Post by canalrifle »

Congratulations.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Should make for a great feed and damn that's an easy carry out. 👍
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Nice one Thomas congratulations, a perfect eater.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Well done
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”