Blaser R8 .22 rimfire - @ 200 yards

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: Which .22? went for the Blaser R8 .22 rimfire !

Post by Rod »

I’ve got a few packs of Winchester PowerPoint, and Super Speed hollow points in the cabinet which I hadn’t considered either. I’ll throw them in as well and see how they go.

But I must say those RWS HV rounds look impressive and will handle any rabbit or hare around here.

Been a long time since I’ve been excited about a rimfire.

Rod

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Rod wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:15 am I’ve got a few packs of Winchester PowerPoint, and Super Speed hollow points in the cabinet which I hadn’t considered either. I’ll throw them in as well and see how they go.

But I must say those RWS HV rounds look impressive and will handle any rabbit or hare around here.

Rod
The R8 is a bloody impressive firearm when you think about it.
I shot 50 22 Rimfire rounds yesterday, then 5 rounds of 7x64 with the same rifle.
Same trigger, same decocker, same stock. Familiarity breeds reliability and safety.
Makes sense to me
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

9.3x64 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:23 am
Rod wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:15 am I’ve got a few packs of Winchester PowerPoint, and Super Speed hollow points in the cabinet which I hadn’t considered either. I’ll throw them in as well and see how they go.

Rod
The R8 is a bloody impressive firearm when you think about it.
I shot 50 22 Rimfire rounds yesterday, then 5 rounds of 7x64 with the same rifle.
Same trigger, same decocker, same stock. Familiarity breeds reliability and safety.
Makes sense to me

Yep the R8 is a great firearm....I am constantly impressed with my the R8’s 👍

Rod

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: Blaser R8 .22 rimfire - 1st range session

Post by Rod »

Took the R8 and the .22 rimfire barrel out to Ripley. Beautiful day, slight breeze and a bit of mirage. But not too bad.
IMG_2184.JPG
All groups consisted of 10 shots. The Eley Tenex and Match showed the most promise. The above target was shot at 50 yards.
IMG_2186.JPG
This target was shot at 100 yards. 10 shot group with Eley Match. aiming at top of target for centre hits. 9 shots into 1.1 inches...10 into 2 inches, the flyer was me.
IMG_2176.JPG
Scope is a Kahles 2-7. Nice scope for hunting but not a target scope. Rifle performed perfectly. Not jams, fails to feed or any other issues.

Cheers
Rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rod on Mon May 17, 2021 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

IMG_2177.JPG
Top Row, left to right:

Eley Match .58" , Eley Tenex .76"...the 2 shots outside the hole I called as flyers. Eley Club, 9 into .86" ...10 into 1.27 inches. Flyer was my fault.

Bottom row. Left to right.

RWS Match. .97", Winchester Power Points 1.28 inches, sighting target.

Groups shot at 50 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rod on Mon May 17, 2021 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Next range session I'll try the RWS HV HP courtesy of Allan....and see what other stuff is out there that I can try.

Very happy with this .22 so far.

Cheers
Rod

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Don't be afraid to try some cheaper rounds too, for some reason I've had guns that shot crap with the expense stuff, and one that shot bloody good with the old Stirling stuff.

And that rifle was a bloody Anschutz? :think:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

SPEEDY wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:53 am Don't be afraid to try some cheaper rounds too, for some reason I've had guns that shot crap with the expense stuff, and one that shot bloody good with the old Stirling stuff.

And that rifle was a bloody Anschutz? :think:
What ...isn't Winchester Power Point common and cheap enough for ya ? :D :D. And Stirling ammunition.....museums are looking for the manure. :dance: :)

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've still got one box left of that and one of the Winchester rat shot, they are the last boxes I had on the farm when my pop died almost 20 years ago.

Funny enough I'm using the SK subsonic stuff atm and the lube is sticking the cases in the chamber and not extracting.
I had to pick up some Winchester 42gn subs, they are both extracting fine and shooting tighter.
Yet the SK match both extract and shoot great.
22lr's are like smoke poles, they play by their own unpredictable rules. 🤔
I swear there's a little black magic in every rimfire barrel.

Edit to add,
Come to think of it, I had two rifles the same make and model that didn't shoot any ammunition the same.
One absolutely loved the SK match and Highlad quiets, the other power points and Remington subs.
But they both shot like crap if I grabbed the ammunition the other gun loved.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Geez Rod, you gotta be happy with the Eley match and Tenex!
There are some awesome groups there for your first session.
These Rimfire kits are a bloody nice way to get plenty of trigger time behind your hunting rifle.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

9.3x64 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:31 am Geez Rod, you gotta be happy with the Eley match and Tenex!
There are some awesome groups there for your first session.
These Rimfire kits are a bloody nice way to get plenty of trigger time behind your hunting rifle.
Yes mate. Very happy with the R8 as a whole.

Cheers
Rod

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

SPEEDY wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:05 am I've still got one box left of that and one of the Winchester rat shot, they are the last boxes I had on the farm when my pop died almost 20 years ago.

Funny enough I'm using the SK subsonic stuff atm and the lube is sticking the cases in the chamber and not extracting.
I had to pick up some Winchester 42gn subs, they are both extracting fine and shooting tighter.
Yet the SK match both extract and shoot great.
22lr's are like smoke poles, they play by their own unpredictable rules. 🤔
I swear there's a little black magic in every rimfire barrel.

Edit to add,
Come to think of it, I had two rifles the same make and model that didn't shoot any ammunition the same.
One absolutely loved the SK match and Highlad quiets, the other power points and Remington subs.
But they both shot like crap if I grabbed the ammunition the other gun loved.
I've owned a few nice .22's over the years...but nothing has impressed me as much as this R8 .22 rimfire barrel. With a target scope and a proper rest I reckon it would almost be a one hole group at 50 yards with either the Eley Tenex or Match ammo.

And.....yep .22's can be strange critters. But never owned one strange enough to like Stirling ammo. :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Rod

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That some gun loved the PMC Zappers too.
I think that's what they were called.

But my R93 loved all the European rounds, Remington subs were the 2nd best although I didn't like their on game performance.

I'm not surprised that the R8 likes the euro stuff, and it's always very consistent. I actually tried weighing rounds and grouping them, but that didn't seem to work for the euro stuff as it was all extremely consistent.

That Stirling stuff one the other hand was all over the shop and I'm still surprised how well that one gun shot it.
The highland regular subsonic stuff one the other hand was only mostly subsonic with about 1 in 5 would go super sonic and blow the group, that stuff was just rubbish.
Ah the voodoo of rimfires, you never know what one will like until you find it.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

A18AE854-46A2-4D80-B767-DA23E2E9EDEE.jpeg
AC1CED4A-717E-4C53-A3E4-1B6D03256F9C.jpeg
90571311-F5A5-427C-81D7-8D4848A4113B.jpeg

Went to Ripley range yesterday. Bit breezy at times but a glorious day.

Tested out some RWS HVHP and a different batch of Eley 10 x .

At 25 yards RWS shot 5 into about .5” or slightly better .

At 50 yards I’d say about 1.5” for a 10 shot group would be average. In other words more than adequate for hunting 👍

On an ideal day .... I reckon I could get it down to about 1”. The conditions were a bit tricky.

For range work Eley 10X and Match shoot to the same POI for me at 25 and 50 yards. And if the rifle has a preference....it’s hard to pick.

Also shot the.223.... just 5 rounds as I wanted to check out some factory ammunition 😳👍

Cheers
Rod

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Geez that 223 shoots factory ammunition well, which one?
Looks like the Eley match and tenex are winners for you.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”