Blaser R8 .22 rimfire - @ 200 yards

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

mchughcb

Re: Which .22 rimfire ?

Post by mchughcb »

I used a sako quad with a lightened trigger with a custom spring i had made. I had a picatinny rail mounted a weaver T36x40. I won the local 50m benchrest using eley tenex against a field of 12 anschutz target rifles including 2013 BR.

I still use that rifle to this day with its four barrels to hunt small game. I have the sporter synthetic stock. I had to get the extractor fixed under warranty as there was a known fault. Worked great once that was fixed early on.

p3t3rsn

Post by p3t3rsn »

For what it is worth, a friend of mine is a former slotted sniper, competitive shooter and now a high level trainer for DoD. He is also heavily involved in testing products for Nightforce, DoD investigations and testing.

I recently asked him a similar question as the OP. He stated that him and his team have tested used all rimfire rifles (except Blaser) including heavily modified 10/22, CZ, Savages, Marlin, etc., and of course all forms of Anschutz's. He said the most accurate factory rifle was the CZ Varmint Tactical producing .4"ish 30 round groups (3 x 10 rounds) with the Tikka very closely behind at .45" 30 round groups. However, nothing could hang with the Vudoo except a single shot BR Anschutz producing .35" 30 round groups. He added that the Vudoo, Anschutz and CZ all needed the right load to get those class leading groups, whereas the Tikka produced very good groups with nearly any ammo. Remembering, sub .5" 30 round groups at fifty yards is competitive.

Keep in mind, the Tikka action is actually a sporterized version of the Sako TRG and one of only a couple factory rifles to ever pass military trails by two separate entity's.

Regarding scopes, he stated that no scope manufactures less Nightforce, tests repeatability and durability by measuring impacts. Until they do, no one will have a more repeatable/durable scope than Nightforce. He suggestion if one cannot afford a Vudoo with Nightforce, then go with a Tikka and a Nightforce - just stick the Tikka in a better stock like a KRG chassis. If that is still unaffordable, then switch out the Nightforce for a SWFA or an older tactical Bushnell.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Last edited by p3t3rsn on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Thanks Ryan. 👍

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

mchughcb wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:18 am I used a sako quad with a lightened trigger with a custom spring i had made. I had a picatinny rail mounted a weaver T36x40. I won the local 50m benchrest using eley tenex against a field of 12 anschutz target rifles including 2013 BR.

I still use that rifle to this day with its four barrels to hunt small game. I have the sporter synthetic stock. I had to get the extractor fixed under warranty as there was a known fault. Worked great once that was fixed early on.
They are nice rifles Chuck 👍

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Well I just ordered the R8 .22 conversion unit without sights . Apparently none in country and it could be a couple of months wait . Oh well.....plenty of time to save up for a NF 🙈

Will probably buy a second hand T1x.....not sure if I really need it now....but I do like them.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Rod

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

When you get it, try the Eley Match mine shoots it better than the Ten-X
Robert J Stokes

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Great choice Rod, I will probably buy one myself one day.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

stokesrj wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:11 pm When you get it, try the Eley Match mine shoots it better than the Ten-X
Thanks mate 👍

9.3x64 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:27 pm Great choice Rod, I will probably buy one myself one day.
👍

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I might one day get a take down bolt action 22lr, just as soon as I find one I like and talk myself into justifying one.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Sigsako

Post by Sigsako »

I would second that the Sako path for a rimfire is not a bad thing. I pondered long and hard for a quality 22 purchase for my varmint eradicating needs, considering the lighter weight offerings from Anschultz and others.
This was pre-Blaser 22 kit.
Sako Finnfire 2 was chosen and is a great shooter with a great trigger.
Once the Blaser kit was available I had to get one.

Interestingly, the Sako shot better after I had the barrel shortened. The same applied with the Blaser, it shoots a lot more consistent since I got that barrel cropped.

Lots of good 22’s available now.

bowji john

Post by bowji john »

I have the 452 and have been using it for years out to 150m (1.5" @ 100m) (with a cheap and cheerful 4 - 16 x 50 scope)

I now have the R8 .22LR barrel with iron sights but am yet to try it (Swarovski Z8i 2 - 16 x 50)

i have also ordered a Vudoo 20" MTU contour with Leupold Mk 5, 5-25x56 scope in an MPA BA Comp chassis

All 3 will be used to teach precision PRL style shooting at 3", 2" and 1" gongs from 25m to 200m

The Vudoo I will also use for my own PRL style practice

When I have some sensible real world data I'll post it on this thread if it is still running by then

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Look forward to it.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

And another 👍

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Rod wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:59 pm Well I just ordered the R8 .22 conversion unit without sights . Apparently none in country and it could be a couple of months wait . Oh well.....plenty of time to save up for a NF 🙈

Will probably buy a second hand T1x.....not sure if I really need it now....but I do like them.

Cheers
Rod
Well I just took the plunge and ordered a R8 Rimfire kit, know idea how long it will be.
I sold my Anschutz and decided to continue down the R8 path. It just makes more sense in terms of cheap trigger time for all your hunting rifles. Not to mention a bit more space in the safe.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

9.3x64 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:49 pm
Rod wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:59 pm Well I just ordered the R8 .22 conversion unit without sights . Apparently none in country and it could be a couple of months wait . Oh well.....plenty of time to save up for a NF 🙈

Cheers
Rod
Well I just took the plunge and ordered a R8 Rimfire kit, know idea how long it will be.
I sold my Anschutz and decided to continue down the R8 path. It just makes more sense in terms of cheap trigger time for all your hunting rifles. Not to mention a bit more space in the safe.
👍 good onya mate.

Still waiting for mine, I’ve been told to expect it May/ June hopefully.

I also bought another R8 Professional this week 🙈

Cheers

Rod

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”