Blaser R8 .22 rimfire - @ 200 yards

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Rod
Meister der jagd

Blaser R8 .22 rimfire - @ 200 yards

Post by Rod »

I've got a bit of a dilemma...I'm after a new .22 rimfire rifle. The only rimfire that I currently own is a CZ 452 which I've owned for a considerable period. She wears a Leupold VX2 1 to 4 scope in QD rings and has iron sights fitted. Shoots Winchester supersede hollow points okay. Good enough to kill cans and a few years ago I did manage to shoot a Bronze medallion with it in SSAA Field Rifle comp. So I guess I'm saying it's okay...but..

Anyway...I retire soon and am looking to shoot a few rimfire matches. Primarily SSAA Field rifle (maximum all up weight of rifle, scope for comp. is 4.6kg...about 10lb 4 ounces), NRA metallic silhouette and maybe even a bit of ELR...maybe. Plus the odd trip out after the occasionally rabbit and hare.

So the current rifle is just not going to cut it. But I'll still keep it for popping cans with the iron sights.

So he are my choices:

Blaser R8 barrel (without sights) I was going to order one of these (not sure about the price but guessing around $2,500) and then I saw Roberts posts on the Vudoo :think: :think:

Vudoo either the Sinister or Raven. But then If I go that way I have to decide on barrel length....I'm thinking either 18 or 20 inches. Price 4.5K to $5K roughly.

Tikka T1x... I can get a second hand one for a good price. I've shot the rifle and it's nice to shoot. And what is even better is that it's very, very affordable. About $700.

And then I need a scope...Leupold, NF or ??. Magnification?? top of say anywhere from 10 to 20 X. Turrets, and parallel adjustment. But what.

Up until a week ago it was definitely going to be the R8.....now I'm sort of thinking Vudoo. But the wallet says go Tikka :roll:

So any thoughts on rifle and or scope choices will be appreciated.

Thanks
Rod
Last edited by Rod on Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bwtf

Re: Which .22 rimfire ?

Post by Bwtf »

I’m currently looking for a more accurate rimfire myself and will probably go the Lithgow 101 as I like how they handle and shoot. They seem to be pretty good by all accounts.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The Lithgow is a very nice option. I own several Anschutz rifles and a few true match 22 rifles such as Winchester 52 and Kimber 84 Military Match as well as the Vudoo and Blaser R8, Oh yea, I almost forgot the 10/22s and Browning Auto. At 50 yards my R8 will shoot better than any of them with the one load it really likes, however it won't shoot the Lapua lines at all which really limits it at ELR and the magazine capacity makes it unfit for NRL22 but for hunting it is my choice.

If I were choosing a rifle to fit the role you described it would probably be the Sinister. I have been using the Nightforce F1 SHV on my R8 and it is a great scope, especially for the money but it is limited by the 30mm tube diameter for ELR and it has an annoyingly small image with a big black ring around it in the eye box. It is crystal clear and the Turrets track very true with no hysteresis or backlash. That is usually something you don't find until twice the price. All my friends with Vortex Razors claim theirs track true until they get to a match then there is a lot of profanity until it settles in. For true competition level ELR I am moving to the Nightforce 7-35 ATACR because I can clearly see my bullet trace and it has the movement range to reach 600 yard targets with the 40 MOA base. The same is also true for the Kales K25 but it won't focus close enough for NRL22 matches for things like match sticks and toothpicks at 25 yards.

If any of those limitations for the NRL22 matches were to be eliminated such as shot stings of no more than 7 and shot distances no more than 300 yards then my R8 would be the choice and the SHV would do the job. I was shooting it yesterday at 50 yards with the Eley Match, the SHV, and the Tier One Evo bipod with a rear soup can bag and I shot the very best groups from a rimfire of any kind I have ever shot, including my full blown match rifles. But switch to any other ammo and it goes to pot.
Robert J Stokes

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Rod, if you are considering Metallic Silhouette as a comp it might pay to consider triggers when looking at a .22.
The Vudoos will certainly be an excellent option and as you say come at a price. We have one being used at the club and it is a wonderfully accurate rifle.
Not sure where the Lithgow sit now with trigger adjustability ?
The Anschutz 1712 Silhouette Sporter would be worth a look and is used by a few in Silhouette comps.
We also have quite a few Tikkas being used for a variety comps. For the money one of the more accurate and light weight .22s around and you can tweak the triggers.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

For the money the Bergarra bolt 22 is nice. Plus it is a 700 Remington footprint so alternative stock choices are numerous.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Forget the wallet, a 22 will last a lifetime so get what you really want. 👍
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 am The Lithgow is a very nice option. I own several Anschutz rifles and a few true match 22 rifles such as Winchester 52 and Kimber 84 Military Match as well as the Vudoo and Blaser R8, Oh yea, I almost forgot the 10/22s and Browning Auto. At 50 yards my R8 will shoot better than any of them with the one load it really likes, however it won't shoot the Lapua lines at all which really limits it at ELR and the magazine capacity makes it unfit for NRL22 but for hunting it is my choice.

If I were choosing a rifle to fit the role you described it would probably be the Sinister. I have been using the Nightforce F1 SHV on my R8 and it is a great scope, especially for the money but it is limited by the 30mm tube diameter for ELR and it has an annoyingly small image with a big black ring around it in the eye box. It is crystal clear and the Turrets track very true with no hysteresis or backlash. That is usually something you don't find until twice the price. All my friends with Vortex Razors claim theirs track true until they get to a match then there is a lot of profanity until it settles in. For true competition level ELR I am moving to the Nightforce 7-35 ATACR because I can clearly see my bullet trace and it has the movement range to reach 600 yard targets with the 40 MOA base. The same is also true for the Kales K25 but it won't focus close enough for NRL22 matches for things like match sticks and toothpicks at 25 yards.

If any of those limitations for the NRL22 matches were to be eliminated such as shot stings of no more than 7 and shot distances no more than 300 yards then my R8 would be the choice and the SHV would do the job. I was shooting it yesterday at 50 yards with the Eley Match, the SHV, and the Tier One Evo bipod with a rear soup can bag and I shot the very best groups from a rimfire of any kind I have ever shot, including my full blown match rifles. But switch to any other ammo and it goes to pot.
Thanks Robert....plenty of information there 👍 do you know what weight your R8 is with the NF SHV F1 attached ?

Thanks again

Rod

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

SPEEDY wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:24 pm Forget the wallet, a 22 will last a lifetime so get what you really want. 👍
That’s the problem..... I don’t know what I really want :think: ...arh :think: yes I do.... I want the lot :whistle: :whistle:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Corjack wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:14 pm For the money the Bergarra bolt 22 is nice. Plus it is a 700 Remington footprint so alternative stock choices are numerous.
Yep I did consider that option but it costs almost as much as the R8..... and I don’t think it’s as good as the Vudoo..and from past lessons learned...buy once, cry once. But ...who knows 👍

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Rod wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:41 pm
Corjack wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:14 pm For the money the Bergarra bolt 22 is nice. Plus it is a 700 Remington footprint so alternative stock choices are numerous.
Yep I did consider that option but it costs almost as much as the R8..... and I don’t think it’s as good as the Vudoo..and from past lessons learned...buy once, cry once. But ...who knows 👍
You guys get screwed. You can buy the bergarra barreled action fir 600 bucks in the US. I shot the prototype a couple years ago and it shot fine. Several on the line at the local PRS style 22 matches. The guys shooting them place right up there with the Vudus.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/r ... 33964.aspx

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Corjack wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:47 pm
You guys get screwed. You can buy the bergarra barreled action fir 600 bucks in the US.
I know...... I still blame Trump 😂🙈

Cheers
Rod

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Rod wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:51 pm

You guys get screwed. You can buy the bergarra barreled action fir 600 bucks in the US.

Cheers
Rod
If Trump had gotten reelection he had plans to make Australia gun buying great again!

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Corjack wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:53 pm
Rod wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:51 pm

Cheers
Rod
If Trump had gotten reelection he had plans to make Australia gun buying great again!
😂😂👍

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

My R8 with the SHV weighs in at 9 pounds 11 oz. However that isn't apples to apples, remember my barrel is cut down to 16.5" and has a Thunderbeast Takedown silencer and is in the Ultimate Success stock.
Robert J Stokes

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:04 pm My R8 with the SHV weighs in at 9 pounds 11 oz. However that isn't apples to apples, remember my barrel is cut down to 16.5" and has a Thunderbeast Takedown silencer and is in the Ultimate Success stock.
Thanks 👍 I only need to be under 10 pound 4 ounces for the main competition I’ll shoot.

Rod

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”