BASSPRO is reportedly buying CABELA'S

Industry news, and new product releases.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, SPEEDY

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Re: BASSPRO is reportedly buying CABELA'S

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Didn't Cabelas (ie Dick and Jim) sell out to an investment group about 10 or so years ago anyway?
Heard this explanation recently for why a lot of the good product lines have disappeared after 2005...
Been a while since I bought anything from Basspro, but I have found I've been resorting to Amazon a lot for named brands that used to be standard stocked items at Cabelas and haven't been for a while

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Well its not a done deal that's for sure.

xotech

Post by xotech »

Dick's Sporting Goods buying Galyan's comes to mind...lost a great store there too.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:Didn't Cabelas (ie Dick and Jim) sell out to an investment group about 10 or so years ago anyway?
Heard this explanation recently for why a lot of the good product lines have disappeared after 2005...
Been a while since I bought anything from Basspro, but I have found I've been resorting to Amazon a lot for named brands that used to be standard stocked items at Cabelas and haven't been for a while

Appears they took it public retaining 25% of the shares in the company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabela%27s

Couple of excerpts:

"Founders Dick and Mary Cabela and Dick’s brother James Cabela retained 25% ownership of the now public company which trades under the stock symbol CAB."

"On February 17, 2014, founder Dick Cabela died at his home in Sidney, Nebraska, at the age of 77."

Return to “Industry News”