6.5 Weatherby Just For Thechamp

Industry news, and new product releases.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, SPEEDY

Corjack
Administrator

6.5 Weatherby Just For Thechamp

Post by Corjack »

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Re: 6.5 Weatherby Just For Thechamp

Post by stokesrj »

I must say, that if they get that performance from the cartridge I will be amazed. My 6.5 STW has greater case capacity and does about 100-150 fps less.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

I do believe they have a winner there. Was looking forward to it being based on the 270 Wby instead of the 300 but when you step back a bit it makes sense to use the 300. Now it's a matter of Blaser chambering the R8 in it. With the nitrided chamber the barrel life should be better than in a standard barrel. Maybe they can even make a barrel in the attaché style???? One can always hope.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Yea, I thought using the 270 would be the best, but then you just got a 264 Win Mag. 300 was the best choice probably.

Dom

Post by Dom »

Ballistics wise looks like it's got up to ~100fps on the 26 Nosler. Not sure what the purpose is, or like Weatherby is known for, just to be the top dog.
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Or like Weatherby is also known for, being extra "optimistic" with their data.

Maybe testing in a 28" barely rifled barrel with an extra hot inaccurate load....

I guess I can't blame them all for trying, as we should all be striving for improvement in our fields of work, but they aren't trying hard enough. The gains made in the last 100+ years over the old classics like the 6.5x55, 7x57 and 30-06 seem pretty insignificant to me. For real progress to be made in the ballistic capabilities of shoulder fired weapons I believe we will need to see something major changed like we did when we progressed from from black powder to smokeless powder. Seems to me that mankind had pretty much realized the capabilities of shootable brass cased smokeless powder cartridges in the 1890s. For the last 120 years we've just been trying to reinvent the wheel.

That's what initially attracted me to the Blaser R93/R8. I thought, "that's a weapon designer thinking outside the (Mauser) box!" We need cartridge inventors to do the same.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

ebrownw2 wrote:Or like Weatherby is also known for, being extra "optimistic" with their data.

Maybe testing in a 28" barely rifled barrel with an extra hot inaccurate load....

I guess I can't blame them all for trying, as we should all be striving for improvement in our fields of work, but they aren't trying hard enough. The gains made in the last 100+ years over the old classics like the 6.5x55, 7x57 and 30-06 seem pretty insignificant to me. For real progress to be made in the ballistic capabilities of shoulder fired weapons I believe we will need to see something major changed like we did when we progressed from from black powder to smokeless powder. Seems to me that mankind had pretty much realized the capabilities of shootable brass cased smokeless powder cartridges in the 1890s. For the last 120 years we've just been trying to reinvent the wheel.

That's what initially attracted me to the Blaser R93/R8. I thought, "that's a weapon designer thinking outside the (Mauser) box!" We need cartridge inventors to do the same.
Taking the above on face value the direction we have yet to see to its full extent is short and fat.
Why stop at the .300 WSM when you could shorten the .50BMG case and neck it to .30"
The obvious reason not to is the tooling involved to make a repeater that loads and fires 3 or more of such things

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Post by KZ45 »

Dom wrote:Ballistics wise looks like it's got up to ~100fps on the 26 Nosler. Not sure what the purpose is, or like Weatherby is known for, just to be the top dog.
I like the way the guy in the video wants you to ignore the talk about barrel burning. I spoke to the folks at Nosler about barrel life with the 26, and they said that they expect 900rnds. before signs of accuracy loss. Who knows with this round.

Hornady is supposed to be coming out with brass for the 6.5 SAUM 4S in the next couple months. According to the folks playing with it, they're getting 3200fps out of a 140, with 3K+ barrel life. Less recoil as well.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I knew some guys seriously into 1000 yard bench rest, they tried the 6.5 300 WSM. Just could not get it to work as desired. I think you can only fling a 6.5 bullet so fast, before the gains in velocity, are not worth the negatives, such as short barrel life, bullets that disintegrate on large game, and unpredictable accuracy at different temps.

I kinda relate it to compound bows. Bows that shoot arrows less than 300 fps, are accurate, easy to tune, and stay in tune, when you start flinging arrows over 300 fps, the equipment gets more particular, about stuff.

Yes, the 6.5 Weatherby will probably be fairly popular with hunters that do not usually shoot a lot, but guys like me, that shoot a lot more than they hunt, will probably not be interested.

Not to say, this is not a good move for Weatherby, and the customers that have wanted this. I hope it is a winner.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

KZ45 wrote:
Dom wrote:Ballistics wise looks like it's got up to ~100fps on the 26 Nosler. Not sure what the purpose is, or like Weatherby is known for, just to be the top dog.
I like the way the guy in the video wants you to ignore the talk about barrel burning. I spoke to the folks at Nosler about barrel life with the 26, and they said that they expect 900rnds. before signs of accuracy loss. Who knows with this round.

Hornady is supposed to be coming out with brass for the 6.5 SAUM 4S in the next couple months. According to the folks playing with it, they're getting 3200fps out of a 140, with 3K+ barrel life. Less recoil as well.
If you are that guy that just shoots 2-3boxes of shells a year, and goes an an elk hunt every couple years and deer hunts a bit, 900 rounds barrel life, will out last most hunters.

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Post by KZ45 »

Corjack wrote:
KZ45 wrote:

If you are that guy that just shoots 2-3boxes of shells a year, and goes an an elk hunt every couple years and deer hunts a bit, 900 rounds barrel life, will out last most hunters.
This is very true. Plus I think the 3K+ barrel life I mentioned is if you're running them closer to 3000fps.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Postby dchamp » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:40 am

I have always wanted a classic Weatherby so with the introduction of the new 6.5-300Wby I ordered one a couple of months ago. It's a Weatherby MK V from Weatherby's Custom Shop with a Lazermark stock and high gloss finish along with alittle bit of engraving. All of their new barrels for this caliber are fluted and stainless steel, so instead of a standard barrel it's getting a Krieger barrel #2 contour and is 26"s long. Since it is all high gloss I picked up a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14X40LR Gloss to go with it.

I also ordered some of their ammunition since I doubt brass will be immediately available. The ammo will shoot the Barnes 127g LRX. Their website shows this round reaching 3531fps MV. We'll see, I'm not going to hold my breath and will be happy if it goes 3350fps +/-, we'll see. Talking with them I got the impression that they will be doing load development and ammunition production in house here in California.

I should receive my new rifle around May-June 2016. I am keeping my fingers crossed as to the outcome.
As to the barrel burning I'm not to concerned, I plan to use it for Pronghorn and Mule Deer and not for high volume shooting. Also there are a lot of old Weatherby's out there that shoot well and haven't had there barrels changed. I wonder if the excessive bullet jump their know for has anything to do with that, I don't know I'm not that experienced with them. I just hope they tune their ammo to their barrels. :pray:
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Having owned an assortment of Weatherby rifles and cartridges from the 257, 270, 7 mm and 300 Weatherby the one thing I've found is their factory ammo usually produces the best groups. I've had spotty luck with the other makers and as a rule they are clueless when it comes to getting Wby performance from their brands. Weatherby has it down or should I say Norma has it down to an art. I've also found that Weatherby's various lots print in the same place much more often than ammo made by the other makers. Federal has traditionally had issues in POI when moving from one lot to another. They've gotten much better the past 10-15 years but I still verify each lot before assuming they'll be in the same place.

I had a Mark V 270 Wby that was made by Howa which shot sub 1/2" groups with Wby ammo. With Federal's premium the groups were in the 8-10" range. Almost sold the rifle thinking it was a hunk of junk. Had gone to the range and bought a new box of Federal premium. After seeing the groups or should I saw lack of groups I was ready to post it on the local newspaper's classifieds. The former owner had given me a partial box of old Wby ammo so I figured nothing to lose, might as well give it a try. It shot a very nice sub 1" group with that old, and I mean old ammo. Bought some more Wby ammo and we were in business. When I look at the other's ballistics and compare them to Wbys I see no reason to buy the non oem one. If the numbers don't matter then you don't need a Wby cartridge in the first place.

As for Weatherby inflating their numbers from the few that I've chronographed most have been within 50 FPS of what they advertise. Did have one load which isn't exactly a performance round that was about 100 FPS slower.

I'm just glad to see them do something new instead of reworking the poor Vanguards into more 'new and improved' models. Howa has made them a lot of money.

Corjack is right in that most of us who buy that cartridge will never wear out a barrel. So that's a moot point. Besides who keeps one that long anyway? :? :lol:

I will be owning one of these in either the Mark V or if Blaser is going to chamber the round I'll wait on a R8 barrel.

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

I might be wrong, but I don't think Blaser will chamber any caliber before it's CIP homologated.
So, it might take a while, if it ever happens at all. Second option is that you might get a reamer and re-ream a 6.5x47 barrel.
However, I hope the twist rate of 1:8" would be satisfactory for full performance of the caliber.
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

icebug wrote:I might be wrong, but I don't think Blaser will chamber any caliber before it's CIP homologated.
So, it might take a while, if it ever happens at all. Second option is that you might get a reamer and re-ream a 6.5x47 barrel.
However, I hope the twist rate of 1:8" would be satisfactory for full performance of the caliber.
Thinking if it takes a while the easiest route would be having Elmer make one. Plus with him making it I could have the entire barrel Nitrided inside and out like Mauserman did my old 700 barrel. That QPQ finish is one tough muther. I've never been a big fan of reaming out an existing barrel. The majority turn out fine but every now and then one becomes junk steel. I'll see the Blaser guys here soon enough and see what they think. I prefer the factory made barrels but if it's not going to happen any time soon then you move to option B. Option C of course is a Mark 5. :D

Return to “Industry News”