Well, It Looks Like For Sure

Industry news, and new product releases.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, SPEEDY

Corjack
Administrator

Well, It Looks Like For Sure

Post by Corjack »

I have mixed emotions about this, and am not sure this is good for consumers. Hopefully I am wrong and we as consumers will benefit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/busin ... .html?_r=0
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

mchughcb

Re: Well, It Looks Like For Sure

Post by mchughcb »

I thought cabelas was going to be bought by the private equity vultures several months ago?

I also thought bass pro was a poorer cousin to cabelas? You get that impression when in their shops and online.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

selling out for almost 16 Billion, now thats some retirment fund.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Bass Pro shipped one treestand and then didn't want to ship anymore. I notice now Cabelas has a lot of restrictions for international shipping. Such as Under Armour charged T- shirts which I find ridiculous, but with the exchange rate I can buy them on line cheaper in Oz.

If the sell out occurs I hope it doesn't lead to a no international shipping policy.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Why would they cost themselves money?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Not sure what you are saying. If the product is not what I can get in Australia and I'm prepared to pay the shipping charges why wouldn't they ship it. I buy rifles out of Germany. They charge 400 Euro to ship it including export papers. I can't see why cabelas won't ship a T-shirt or treestand. Just bump up the shipping costs. If the customer wants it bad enough they'll pay.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

It is strange they wouldnt export a tree stand to me but I can purchase dies directly from Redding ???

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Both companies suck today. Both started by giving consumers great pricing on items and gradually worked themselves up to by the Macy's of the sporting good world. I buy very little from either one since their prices are quite easily beaten. Noted in the story that Cabelas same store sales were down from a year ago. Both refuse to acknowledge that they are competing against the internet marketplace. Other than items that you have to have right now and possibly some things that they have exclusives on there's no reason to shop there.

Lastly everything Bass Pro touches gets cheapened in quality so that doesn't bode well for Cabelas. Bass Pro could have simply marked down prices and saved themselves a lot of money. Yeah the bank was evidently the golden nugget of the deal but in time it would have been out there as well.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Agree champ. Prices at Cabelas used to be world beating. Now most of the trail cameras etc, even with the shipping are cheaper on Ebay, unless its a marked down special. I would have thought they can still do good business on the internet as people I've spoken on the phone have bent over backwards to help but now they say, sorry we don't ship international.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

mchughcb wrote:Not sure what you are saying. If the product is not what I can get in Australia and I'm prepared to pay the shipping charges why wouldn't they ship it. I buy rifles out of Germany. They charge 400 Euro to ship it including export papers. I can't see why cabelas won't ship a T-shirt or treestand. Just bump up the shipping costs. If the customer wants it bad enough they'll pay.

I ment why would they voluntary limt their customer base.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Good question and I don't know. If you read some of the products it says "ships directly from the Manufacturer", meaning they haven't holding inventory. If the manufacturer has their own deal on distribution then maybe they can't ship as part of that agreement. Who knows.

blaserguy
Meister der jagd

Post by blaserguy »

This deal is about the credit card base Cabelas has built. If you go in a store they are very good at signing up customers for a Cabelas credit card. Genius model.
Build big store to draw in lookers, give them credit and then you get the money they spend in the Cabelas store and elsewhere they spend money you get your cut.

Return to “Industry News”