Sig 277 Fury

Industry news, and new product releases.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, SPEEDY

Corjack
Administrator

Sig 277 Fury

Post by Corjack »

Sig is going to intro at Shotshow its new Cross rifle in the 277 Fury. Best I can tell, the Fury is just a 6.5 PRC necked up to .277. The cross rifle is a 3 lug, one piece reciever, contraption.

https://www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauer-cro ... 55231.html
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

SPEEDY

Re: Sig 277 Fury

Post by SPEEDY »

That and it's got a two piece case, looks like steel base and brass body, frankly it's the least interesting new round I've seen in a long while.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I don't know where the .277 Furry will wind up but it is far from just a 6.8SPC, as far as a 308 is from a 300 Win Mag. The hybrid case allows it to operate at 80,000 PSI, a pressure that will turn a standard brass case to liquid brass. The result is a claimed 3,000 fps velocity from a 16" barrel. The 6.8 SPC delivers less than 2500 FPS from that same 16" barrel and same 135 grain bullet.
Of course there is a downside, those pressures require a more robust action than most bolt rifles are built for and the AR action will just shear bolts. So it has a long road to commercial success with few guns capable of firing it.
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

stokesrj wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:24 pm I don't know where the .277 Furry will wind up but it is far from just a 6.8SPC, as far as a 308 is from a 300 Win Mag. The hybrid case allows it to operate at 80,000 PSI, a pressure that will turn a standard brass case to liquid brass. The result is a claimed 3,000 fps velocity from a 16" barrel. The 6.8 SPC delivers less than 2500 FPS from that same 16" barrel and same 135 grain bullet.
Of course there is a downside, those pressures require a more robust action than most bolt rifles are built for and the AR action will just shear bolts. So it has a long road to commercial success with few guns capable of firing it.

6.5 PRC is what I said. Not 6.8 SPC.

Here us a picture I found.
IMG_2774.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

The Fury is SIGs entry into the 6.8mm NGSW trials, the rifle that is designed to fire it at its full potential is pictured here
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... prototype/

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

well if it's anything like this Fury it should be a ripper :handgestures-thumbup:
images.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

As a military round, I can see its advantages, as a sporting round I can see it's disadvantages.
But I doubt it will ever see service as a standard rifle in service, the recoil will be too much for most of today's modern soldiers.
As a machine gun round however it has a lot if promise as being much better then 7.62, less weight = carry more ammo, flatter shooting with better penetration.
I could also see the design being up scaled to 338, imagine what a 338lap mag type round at 80,000psi could achieve as a long range sniping round.

Of course there is the other consideration, barrel life, a round that hot will have to have a greatly reduced service life and that means a lot of extra money in spare barrels.
Also it will require extra logistics for such a special round and I doubt they will let other manufacturers make it, if that's the case then it could kill it before it gets off the ground.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I am wondering how it is going to handle gas. Even with the steel case head , running such a high PSI for sporting use can be dealt with. For military use they might be burning up barrels full of barrels in pretty short order.

However it may be a bit more doable then it sounds like. With standard 6.5 Creedmoor 140 factory ammo , I can get nearly 2600 fps through a 16.5 barrel. If you have a 277 bullet that weighs 140 grains, it will have less bearing area than the same weight 264 bullet. You can gain a good bit of speed right there. Then looking at how short the cas neck looks in the pictures, and to my eyes the base size looks a tad bigger than the standard 398 base size , however it may just look that way to me. But a bit bigger gas tank, and Running 70,000 plus psi could get it up around what they claim.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Corjack wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:52 pm
stokesrj wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:24 pm I don't know where the .277 Furry will wind up but it is far from just a 6.8SPC, as far as a 308 is from a 300 Win Mag. The hybrid case allows it to operate at 80,000 PSI, a pressure that will turn a standard brass case to liquid brass. The result is a claimed 3,000 fps velocity from a 16" barrel. The 6.8 SPC delivers less than 2500 FPS from that same 16" barrel and same 135 grain bullet.

IMG_2774.JPG
Yes, I wasn’t responding to your post. There were some who thought the 277 Fury was just another 6.8 SPC because it came from the same development effort and is the next iteration of the 6.8 SPC.
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

stokesrj wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:23 pm
Corjack wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:52 pm

IMG_2774.JPG
Yes, I wasn’t responding to your post. There were some who thought the 277 Fury was just another 6.8 SPC because it came from the same development effort and is the next iteration of the 6.8 SPC.
Gotcha.

Here is a better picture showing the base size to look about the same as a 308
IMG_2775.JPG

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Almost looks like a 7.62x51 necked down and Ackley improved.
That can run at a higher pressure.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Have a read up on the NGSW - R and AR specs
For some reason we are back in the high recoil, heavy ammo paradigm that has been sidelined by the 5.56.
The design criteria is a 6.8mm bullet and from memory a certain kinetic energy at a specific distance- case dimensions up to the designer etc - open playing field except to meet the ballistics and do it without over burdening an infantryman you either go polymer telescoping rounds - see Textron systems / Olin or the hybrid of Sig. the textron doesn’t have the .308/.473 case head because they presume civilian sales aren’t worth the worry at this stage

Gun Barrel Ecologist

After all, the contract is millions of rounds, who cares if it’ll fit in a Mod 70 if they win

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I wonder if Elmer will do a barrel...
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I would highly doubt it because the pressure is out of the envelope that Blaser tests for. I suspect the R8 action will withstand 80,000 PSI but if not tested who knows.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Industry News”