Remington bankruptcies

Industry news, and new product releases.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, SPEEDY

sav338
Meister der jagd

Remington bankruptcies

Post by sav338 »

I saw this on FB tonight .
Is there any truth to this ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Corjack
Administrator

Re: Remington bankruptcies

Post by Corjack »

Yep, they are in trouble.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

robban.jagaren

Post by robban.jagaren »

Again? Second time in a few years.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The Navajo Nation is putting together a bid to buy them. In some ways I feel sorry for them because they are the victim of law suits that are politically based and on the other hand I think they deserve it for the way they treated their employees in the transition from NY to SC. They viewed them as chattel and when those with tribal knowledge decided not to move to SC they built some pretty awful guns.
Robert J Stokes

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

I’ve never bought a Remington. Always viewed them as cheaper if you have to settle for it sort of gun.

Having said that the most valuable gun to me in my safe is a Remington model 48 Sportsman semi-auto 16 gauge shotgun. The gun my grandfather carried every time we ever went afield together following his english setters in pursuit of bobwhite quail that used to always be here.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Their quality control has sucked badly for probably over 20 years. The days of a Remington 700 shooting out of the box have been gone for a long time. Their custom shop still turned out some nice guns for a while but they too went to hell in handbasket. We still have a lot of clueless gun owners in Texas (and probably other places) who are convinced that you buy a 700 and then spend $2000+ on it with a custom barrel, custom stock and lots of other custom stuff till they get to a fixed barrel rifle that shoots almost as good as a off the shelf Blaser, Sauer, Rigby, etc. It's a frigging cult and they are convinced their money was well spent. It does provide jobs for lots of gunsmiths but it sure is a waste of money.

I have seen plenty of junk come in a nice Remington box and IMO they don't deserve to be in business. Some of their junk isn't cheap even though the quality is pathetic. Survival of the fittest and they aren't very fit. Losing them wouldn't be a loss to anyone except their workers.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've had some great Remingtons over the years, and a couple bad ones.
Shame they are going under again but seriously lawsuits over there are just insane.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 pm The Navajo Nation is putting together a bid to buy them. In some ways I feel sorry for them because they are the victim of law suits that are politically based and on the other hand I think they deserve it for the way they treated their employees in the transition from NY to SC. They viewed them as chattel and when those with tribal knowledge decided not to move to SC they built some pretty awful guns.
Bob, do you see an advantage that the Navajo Nation would have in owning Remington that Remington currently doesn't have? Indian nations here are free of most US rules/regs, etc. Wondering if that would help shield them on these ridiculous lawsuits... Also FWIW why would they want that headache? Do they have the kind of money to put them in good shape and then start fixing the mess? After reading this yesterday I started thinking that it might be a win-win deal.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I don't really know much about their offer because it was negotiated in private without transparency. There are certain privileges afforded to sovereign nations such as the Navajo Nation. They may be able to avoid some taxes and have some immunities that aren't possible outside the lands of the nation. Here is an article updated just today, but as you can see even members of the nation don't have details.
https://navajotimes.com/reznews/nation- ... remington/
Robert J Stokes

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

stokesrj wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:33 pm I don't really know much about their offer because it was negotiated in private without transparency. There are certain privileges afforded to sovereign nations such as the Navajo Nation. They may be able to avoid some taxes and have some immunities that aren't possible outside the lands of the nation. Here is an article updated just today, but as you can see even members of the nation don't have details.
https://navajotimes.com/reznews/nation- ... remington/
Thanks, interesting article. Seems politics is one of their problems as well. The clueless ones want all the info so they can make a decision as well. Even though they probably have a hard time tying their shoelaces. Poor Navajo - American politics has rubbed off on them.

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

Historically speaking, you have to admit a sort of ironic humor related to a Native American organization potentially buying a major US firearms manufacturer!

Sadly, the Remington of years past seems gone (at least for now), but the quality of the "older" ones was sometimes impressive. I recently purchased a NIB/unfired Remington 700 built in 1983. The quality and fit/finish of that 37 year-old rifle is clearly different from today's product.

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

What does fascinate me these days is how many good quality Remington 700 clones are out there. It goes to show that the Remington 700 action is a good action but there were always shortcomings and so manufacturers such as Stiller, BAT Machine and Defiance to name a few, have improved on them and kept the same drop-in footprint....as the Remington brand has been so popular over the years. My understanding is that the quality clones are machined out of forged steel, whereas the Remington's are cast and stamped. This process of Remington made the rifles cheap and almost drove Winchester (which were forged and machined) out of business, and in 1964, Winchester had to make significant changes in their design to remain competitive and survive. Hence we talk about the pre-64 Winchester being more of a prestige rifle....Cheap causes all manufacturer's to decline in their quality and people start to look elsewhere for their quality built rifles....Hence people at this forum look at Blaser, Sauer, Mauser, Sako and Remington clones for their quality rifles and builds....But for a cheap rifle I cannot see Remington competing in price with the likes of some of the ridiculously low prices of Savage and Howa....when their quality is not a premium - particularly in mass produced rifles...And then the lawsuits....how ridiculous.....it's not the gun that kills in mass shootings, but the ar$e#ole behind the gun. Would you sue a truck manufacturer for a terrorist driving into a crowd?
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Not sure about that Joe. I reckon the ambulance chasers will have done some research on whether they could successfully sue the truck manufacturer for the sins of the driver. :( :(

The blame/take no responsibility/it's not my fault game seems to have no boundaries :( :(

Return to “Industry News”