Long range .224 pills?

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

stokesrj

Re: Long range .224 pills?

Post by stokesrj »

I think it is a shame that the supply of bullets in Australia is so difficult. All I can do to help is share what I have learned shooting 12-20 thousand .223 rounds per year. The Sierra 77 grain Match King is superb, the 69 grain Match King is okay but suffers much in the wind compared to the 77 even though it can be driven faster, it still drifts more and at least my R8 would stabilize the 77. I would not consider any other for long range use if your barrel also stabilizes it.

The Nosler Custom Competition is a knock off of the Sierra Match King, they shamelessly copied the Match Kings and they are good but the Sierra is better. The 65 grain Game King pointed soft point that Corjack mentioned is also a good bullet and one you should consider as it will reliably expand when the Match Kings won't at extended truly long range but it is again even more sensitive to the wind.

The single most accurate bullet you can use is the 60 grain Sierra Hollow Point. It is a flat based bullet so will have more drag, but it will outshoot any of the others by a wide margin and out to 300 yards where the wind drift is insignificant, beyond 300 yards the wind is a growing concern. I've seen this bullet used to shoot perfect scores in 300 meter international matches from a 1:10 twist, high quality, barrel.

I wish you luck, but you are wasting your time considering other bullets for long range, you will see them blown willy nilly by the wind. The 77 Sierra Match King fired from a .223 will outshoot a .308 with any bullet under 190 grains in the wind beyond 300 yards, that includes the 168 grain Match King which is kind of a gold standard.

Bob
Robert J Stokes

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

pm sent Speedy

Cheers dave

johning

Post by johning »

I Nosler Custom Competition 69gr out of my R93 standard barrel (1/10 twist) with great result. I shoot them at right around 900m/s. Barrel length 54cm if I remember it correct.

I will try to get some 77gr bullets to shoot as soon as I have time for some load development.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It's down to cases now, I have to empty a few and then thanks to 7mm I have some pills to try.
If it works out then I guess a new scope and mountvis next.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Post by KZ45 »

This thread has rejuvenated my interest in a .223 R8 barrel. I didn't think you'd be able to shoot anything heavier than 55/62gr. in a barrel with 1-10 twist.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”