Action Cameras for Hunting

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

stokesrj

Re: Action Cameras for Hunting

Post by stokesrj »

I don't think the formats you are looking at are best for your application. 720P at 240 FPS would be far superior in my opinion. The issue isn't the number of pixels but rather the transition from pixel to pixel. I was part of the grand alliance that developed high definition TV both DVB and ATSC. In all of our tests 720P outperformed any viewing experience in higher format but slower frame rate. Hockey was one of the more demanding games to video, the puck couldn't be followed in 1080I but could easily be followed in 720P.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Agreed, Go Pro Hero 4 can shoot in 4K and using software you can down sample the size. No doubt about it, its high quality stuff with a price to boot. A work colleague has offered me his Go Pro Hero 4 black to test. He says the best compromise is 2.7K @ 60FPS. Also remember YouTube can only handle 1080 @30fps. Might take him up on the offer if I get a head mount. Only problem is I like to see the rifle you are using in the shot as well, so I like the side head mount,.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Drift Ghost S will do 720@120fps. Will have to test and report back next week.

jacksonbrown

Post by jacksonbrown »

Strap one to your sausage :lol:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Looked at the go pro dog mounts. They look good. Maybe Lloyd can be a guinea pig.

jeff

Action Cameras for Hunting

Post by jeff »

mchughcb wrote:Looked at the go pro dog mounts. They look good. Maybe Lloyd can be a guinea pig.
I should put the one I'm getting on my Lab, so I can see where she buggers off to when she vanishes up the road whilst I'm working on the 4WD in the drive!!

Second thoughts, probably better with one of those tracking collars the hound hunters use..... :roll:
Last edited by jeff on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Jeff

jacksonbrown

Post by jacksonbrown »

mchughcb wrote:Looked at the go pro dog mounts. They look good. Maybe Lloyd can be a guinea pig.
If you get a GoPro, I'll get a Fetch.
He's pretty good at superman, water retrieves off embankments. It'd look fantastic.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Okay I did a little test tonight with my Samsung Galaxy S7 against the Drift Ghost S. The S7 was set at 2.7K 30FPS, 1080FHD 60FPS. Well the S7 won on all counts so now I've ordered the velocity clip with head band and we'll give it a real hunting test. I loaded up to youtube and its still clearer even if you lose a bit of definition.

At the start of the hunting video I recorded with the dogs with Samsung S7 on 1080 FHD and it appears much clear than the shotgun video I take minutes later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaTHTyh0STY

http://www.velocityclip.com/collections ... 4TJFeQkqUk

Tomorrow we'll test the Go Pro Hero 4 Black in 2.7K @60fps versus the Samsung S7 and Drift Ghost S. I'll see if I can post, when we assess on video quality alone.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Even some more tests, the 720@120 to 240fps has better definition than the drift , but with a narrower field of view. This is very interesting. Going to grab a 64Gb sd card tomorrow and look at a fast charger back up. The S7 charges ultra fast.

jacksonbrown

Post by jacksonbrown »

Will you have the Black on Sunday? Lloyd's been asking about it.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Today I tested the GoPro Hero 4 Black against the Samsung S7 and Drift Ghost S. The first tests were at 1080HD and then the GoPro and Samsung at 2.7K and 4K. The Samsung S7 2.7K QHD is actually a big smaller than the standard 2.7K. The processing of the 2.7K and 4K will be done later tonight.

To cut the chase the Samsung S7 using the 1080HDR setting at 60 fps was clearer then either the Go Pro and far superior to the Drift Ghost S. My mate who has previously had an Ion was shocked. He was also shocked that the at first glance the Samsung S7 in 4K at 30fps is also clearer than the GoPro Hero but I will post later. To get the GoPro even close required a bit of post processing. The Samsung S7 is straight from the auto settings. The Samsung has less fish eye on the edges and the GoPro was set to narrow.

The Samsung S7 is IP67 rated so its going to survive rain and dust. The FOV is slightly less than the GoPro so I have to be sure its not a deal breaker as I need more than 90 degrees as I found out with the Drift Ghost s. I have purchased the Velocity Clip headband, plus a 64Gb mini sd card. Now I will purchase a blue tooth remote shutter and hopefully all of it will come together as a system, close to what have now but with better than Go Pro video. As the Samsung as high charge rate capacity I will carry a spare mobile phone charger with a high capacity and if necessary I can run the charge cord from my binocular pocket to the phone. This should give me more than 4 hours of continuous film. I can also easily delete video where there is no action if I am chewing through the 1080HDR or 2.7K.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

This is the raw three way comparo at 1080@60fps between the GoPro Hero 4 black (Narrow FOV), Samsung S7 and Drift Ghost S (set to 127 FOV).

You can see the Samsung S7 is just stunning.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Great comparison Chuck , thanks
I see you must work near the junction of Spencer and Collins ?
Im at Medibank .
Steve

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Cheers, my mate is now convinced that a S7 with the velocity clip and remote is the way to go.
I will be ordering the Samsung S7 lens which have the wide and telephoto. I suspect Olsen should think about that. I might get a gun mount and see how the foxes go in the FOV.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

It's amazing what modern smart phones are capable of.

Some of their capabilities are not in your favor :?
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Open discussion”